Focke-Wulf Fw 190F-8 - 1:72 Revell

Here is my Revell 1:72 Focke-Wulf Fw 190F-8 which I built back in 2013.
It represents "White 11" of I./SG4, Luftwaffe, based at Picenza, Italy, in May 1944.

The kit was built mostly OOB adding etched belts from Eduard and replacing the nose ring with a correct replacement part from Quickboost. The kit was painted by brush except for the mottling and varnish which were done by airbrush. The white underwing tips were made from white decal sheet.

One thing of note was the lack of swastikas. Revell never includes them but in this case it was correct as, together with the white theatre band, they were overpainted for camouflage purposes but it is believed the swastikas were painted out under orders of the unit's commanding officer for other reasons.... (he was later relieved of command!).

Thanks for looking and all comments are welcome
Miguel

deyCflZc3CsgaDDJR7M6kCbIvDQjmeNfNcmAuEtf

o9sCgVXxZgjORpIgJ_SQpiRJiPVBPf-uGhOod1oX

J7mqVN-jUDbhLvSMYjBpHGZi6NtsY80TrpC3T8ui

zQfV_ECKwCzuG635pZqVkT4w05c7g7k1no9ZCMNR

07WzxFmf8SMkFf9S0aXFwV59u5VQNp_lNcsFPaOy

pizAZZMW9MyrkyVAayKGb_lUlz_Q7GNdEsIFSfnN

0z6KuzxwFogrgkXsloCOQKFLx_-AsB7X-nk8w4ru

NGTpQCgYErYK8qAKxqyRC0FK_6kK2g17bxWHwDvv

gs9SXzCn2jrpSdipSFRn3LB-uBuj5u5NpBDjC76a

t5llX5NuROm_UALuck6R20bsXpbbLfhcRWpqIUsZ

Dn0tkIsNm0iRBu-aEuqqaAYa01tU4HAYyLTfDDz1

ouSKEfbhb6EGlz3H6I99qLVQ_uogYdhd_3BYeweD

• Like 22

Nice work there. I built it with the same scheme years ago and overall it is a ok kit only let down by the awful canopy which I replaced with one from the spares box. That camo  scheme is still my favourite one for the 190.

Cheers Allan

• Thanks 1

Very nicely done. The detail inside the cockpit is surprising for a 1/72 Revell kit! My next personal build will be an Aurora "Prestige" edition FW 190 F-8, which was packaged in 1977. It has three sets of swastikas, at least, but whether or not the decals will be usable remains to be seen! If I don't end up happy with the kit, I'll probably purchase this one based on your photos here. Looks solid!

-Gregory

• Thanks 1

Thanks Gregory. This kit has only two weak spots: the poor clear parts and the incorrect cowling ring. I only replaced the latter here with a corrected replacement from Quickboost. Otherwise it's a nice kit. I have a few more in my stash, mostly of other boxings, to make other sub-variants.

Miguel

• Like 1

Very nice indeed.

To look at, the Revell kit seems to offer a decent build result.

But I don't know what is the majority view compared to Revell's competitors - your opinion welcome.

You've certainly done a nice job of it and the colour scheme is very interesting.

:goodjob:

• Thanks 1

Thank you very much

12 hours ago, kapam said:

To look at, the Revell kit seems to offer a decent build result.

But I don't know what is the majority view compared to Revell's competitors - your opinion welcome. 

Kapam, I can only compare with the slightly older Hasegawa kit (the re-tool, not the earlier 1970s kit!). Checking my notes, the Hasegawa kit went together with little fuss and minimal cleaning of the joints whereas the Revell kit had large gaps at the wing roots and quite a step in the wing-fuselage join underneath. Cockpit detail in the Hasegawa kit is soft whereas Revell's is very nicely detailed as you can see in the photo above. The Hasegawa builds into a nice replica straight from the box. Revell's kit is nice too and can get a nice result as shown above but needs more work and has the above mentioned weak spots to consider. I have several of both in my stash but also a couple of the newer Eduard kit which I think (and from what I have read) beats these two hands-down! The only other two radial-engined Fw 190s I have built was the Matchbox kit, which isn't worth mentioning in comparison, and the MPM V1 prototype which is a different bird and a tricky older kit which I will post in the future!

Miguel