As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

yeehah1

Dr.Who ...no one remebers the Daleks??

19 01 2019

Okay, so the new Dr. is in and settled and I thought the New Years' Day episode was kinda good what with the 'steampunk' Dalek. However.... what's with people not knowing wat a Dalek is? We've had a number of planetary-wide Dalek invasions (and Cybermen) yet the first thing the companions say when the Doctor mentions the Dalek is' What's a Dalek?' and then carry on like they've never seen nor heard of one! What did I miss?

Liam

It's not you, it's the show. Many reasons why no-one apparently remembers, from 'the other Dr happened in an alternate universe' to plain old 'creative team not knowing their canon' (or possibly, doing a Disney and discarding canon) to laziness on everyone's part - you choose. :)

That said, I don't recall anyone except the UNIT chaps remembering the various invaders back in the day, either. <shrug>

No, it’s because the show is now rubbish. Nobody involved in its production seems to have a clue. I was watching a number of the Tennant programmes and the contrast of scripts, acting, humour, everything, is quite astounding. 

Graham

I guess it's probably because the teenagers who are watching now were watching Teletubbies or The Night Garden when David Tennant last payed The Doctor, so no, they can't be expected to "know their canon". And because, contrary to apparently popular belief, Doctor Who is not made purely for the benefit of middle-aged men for whom it's "never been as good since...<insert pet rose-tinted nostalgic moment here..>" For every "Girl in the Fireplace", which turned out to be just as good as I remembered, there's a whole lot of "Talons of Weng Chiang" or "City of Death" which really... aren't.

best,

M.

Edited by cmatthewbacon

You'd have thought Bradley Walsh would've known,blimey he's been hosting 'The Chase' for around 10yrs.....

7 hours ago, richellis said:

What happened to captain Jack? 

Billy Joel may know......

Sorrry.

sjw rubbish. No clue of cannon, no research, no respect. Who is disappearing down the McCoy plug hole. Cancel and refresh in 10 years or so. By that time hopefully it'll get the Ghostbusters treatment of returning to the original premise and glossing over the pc failure put out in its place.

Edited by RACETRACK
correction requested.

3 hours ago, RACETRACK said:

No clue of cannon, no research, no respect. Who is disappearing down the McCoy plug hole. Cancel and refresh in 10 years or so. By that time hopefully it'll get the Ghostbusters treatment of returning to the original premise and glossing over the pc failure put out in its place.

You do know that it's only a telly program don't you, and you do know it's aimed at the yoof, not grump old gits like us. if you don't like it don't watch it – do some modelling instead. Simple.

I suggest changing the start of your message to something like 'sjw rubbish', how you've written it is exactly the way that threads get locked.

Hi Lads,

Thanks for the entertaining replies.  I just thought, for the sake of continuity, that it was odd and frustrating that they had that reaction like they'd never heard of a Dalek and yet UNIT was mentioned ( yet, inexplicibly no longer functioning due to lack of funding?). It's frustrating that so much good stuff was done previously yet somehow no longer seems relevant.

Even a few well-placed throw-away lines would have sufficed to explain the universal amnesia re: Daleks. I liked some of the season … the Rosa Parks episode was a standout.... but feel there's something missing...like they're trying too hard to make it work rather than just letting it happen. I also feel a certain agenda is not just being pushed but is being rammed down our throats and I dislike that. Dr. Who was always intended to educate, yes, but also to entertain and I think it's losing that. Pity. They had a good run of it and I was hoping the female Dr. would be as outstanding as those who have gone before but so far, so meh....

Hope the next season rolls on better now that the ground work has been laid.

Liam

The problem is not the female Doctor, Jodie Whitaker fits perfectly although she perhaps talks too fast. But she fits the mould of the Doctor.

No the problem is the departure of Stephen Moffat and Russell T Davies. 

Simple as that.

A change of writers has killed many a show.

Time will tell. 

As for Dalek situation, arguably Robg's suggestion of the alternative universe makes sense. Because this neatly solves murderous time traveller paradox where you kill your ancestor meaning you could never exist. Which renders it impossible to go back in time and kill them because you never existed in the first place.

But if in doing so you create an alternative universe where you never existed. You of course exist in another universe unaffected by your actions. 

It sounds mad but multiple universes is a serious scientific suggestion. 

Which means that in one universe out there, I am the Doctor!

Edited by noelh

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 2:27 AM, Rob G said:

It's not you, it's the show. Many reasons why no-one apparently remembers, from 'the other Dr happened in an alternate universe' to plain old 'creative team not knowing their canon' (or possibly, doing a Disney and discarding canon) to laziness on everyone's part - you choose. :)

That said, I don't recall anyone except the UNIT chaps remembering the various invaders back in the day, either. <shrug>

Of course UNIT would remember, they had a (non-functioning) TARDIS and an alien Timelord living in their base for a couple of years just to remind them that there is LIFE OUT THERE.  I can just imagine one of their squaddies saying 'Daleks?  Oh yeh, we saw them off in between the Cybermen and the Potato-heads'.   Righty-ho then.

The episode that was on tonight was ? !

2 hours ago, Mick4350 said:

The episode that was on tonight was ? !

I thought was better than most previous episodes. Having said that I still don’t like Jody Whittaker (as the Dr). 

Graham

Not a fan of Dr Who in general, but was looking forward to start of this new season. I stopped about half way through first episode, the actor's just didn't seem to gel together, and didn't really feel the female Dr Who actor was any good, it is like she is trying to tell a joke way too fast with no emotion to get to the punchline as quickly as possible.  Shame, I will probably catch up earlier series on iPlayer, have plenty I have not seen.

I received the Airfix Dr Who in Manhatten kit Today, maybe best place to start. I didn't finish watching that episode either, but enjoyed what I had watched.

Paul

Watched the latest episode last night, Orphan 55 and instantly realised that the writer had channelled the video game Destiny. In the game the hero fights the Dregs in a post apocalyptic Russia. Even some of the tunnel scenes resemble sequences in the game. 

Now in the previous episodes 'Spyfall' was a clear reference to 'Skyfall'. Which makes me wonder if all the episodes will reference some movie or game. 

Cheating really. 

Plus there's the environmental message at the end administered with a sledgehammer. Sigh! Aren't we allowed any escapism any more? 

After the first two episodes, which I quite liked, the latest episode was back to the same old plop from the last series. I’d cottoned onto the Spyfall connection,  but, never having played any, the video game link went way above my head.

And as for the lecture at the end ..... 😡😡😡

Graham

1 minute ago, GrahamS said:

And as for the lecture at the end ..... 😡😡😡

You don’t remember “The Green Death”, then? Dr Who has always been a programme with a message, often quite an explicitly stated one. Like it or not, the kids who are the primary audience for the show are a lot more worried about climate change than older generations...

best,

M.

2 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

You don’t remember “The Green Death”, then? Dr Who has always been a programme with a message, often quite an explicitly stated one. Like it or not, the kids who are the primary audience for the show are a lot more worried about climate change than older generations...

best,

M.

No, I don’t. But if you’re going to provide a message, at least make it subtle and, as Noelh says, no need to use a sledgehammer. 

If children are the main audience, why is it on at 7pm? I would have thought, given the time slot, it was aimed at a family audience, including miserable old gits like me. 😁

Graham

11 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Miserable old gits are only supposed to watch television after 9pm.

I’ll have you know that’s way past my bed time.... 😁

Graham

"The Green Death stands out as one of the most remarkable stories of the entire canon. It does all the stuff Doctor Who does brilliantly but it's also one of the most fiercely political stories the show has ever seen. And bravely partisan at that. Big business maybe shouldn't be trusted, untempered globalisation might not be so great, and pillaging the planet's resources is perhaps not the best idea, and no good can come of what's happening to the coal mines. For a story airing in 1973 it predicted the big conversations of the 1980s with some style and precision." (The Guardian)

😜

best,

M.

The Doctor always crossed the generations. But perhaps the kids not so much anymore. My two feigned interest then wandered off. 

Anyway next i can't wait to see what movie or video game the writer plunders.