TID Steam Tug Completed

Next small project to take away, a WWII steam tug full of character

plans

_2554749

_1226097

70_TID164_6

These were a series of emergency tugs built from 1943 to '45. A total of 182 of these little prefabricated tugs were built in modular units, by several different yards around the U.K. often by women workers. Unusual in being of a hard chine design and all welded construction.

Plenty of further info available here http://www.steamtugbrent.org/history-of-tid-class-tugs.html

Keel shear piece laid

P1090277 (Copy)

started on the frames

P1090278 (Copy)

Hopefully along with Stuart's 

we'll inspire some scratch building.

I hope you'll join us for the trip

Kev

• Like 11

My Dad worked on steam tugs on the Manchester Ship Canal back in the days and despite the paintings of his photos.

One name comes to mind 'Arrow' and I am lead to believe that one of his tugs is now sectionalized (cut in half) in a Gateshead (?) maritime museum. 

I always fancied a model so I will watch with great interest

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

How big?  what scale? Will it it go in another diorama?

So demanding 😉

Just over 68 feet long @ 1/200 = 104mm (4"). As to diorama, not sure yet but I'm hoping to put it in a picture frame as used before

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

now I'll see how it should be done properly.

Lol, how about we both muddle through together 🙂

1 hour ago, Mancunian airman said:

I always fancied a model so

Now is the time to do it. Handsome looking ship, built at Leith I wonder if they have any plans?

msc-arrow

Update all frames added with the obligatory pen for size

P1090281 (Copy)

P1090280 (Copy)

P1090279 (Copy)

P1090282 (Copy)

18 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

looks like a really good set of drawings to work from

I laughed when I saw your comment Steve. I was looking around for plans and came across the above plan for sale on ebay. The plan came from the sales picture but don't tell anyone :whistle:

Thanks for looking in

Kev

Edited by longshanks
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, longshanks said:

Just over 68 feet long @ 1/200 = 104mm (4"). As to diorama, not sure yet but I'm hoping to put it in a picture frame as used before

P1090281 (Copy)

P1090280 (Copy)

Quite small then, in fact you could call it a TIDdler... 🤪

Ahhhh... I do crack myself up sometimes...😬

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Quite small then, in fact you could call it a TIDdler... 🤪

or Boaty McTugFace

16 hours ago, stevehnz said:

being a slight tug nut from way back

Oh Dear another confession on BM 😉

Don't tell anyone but I agree. They have a certain charm/character about them

15 hours ago, JohnWS said:

Looking forward to another one of your terrific builds Kev.

No pressure then

Looking more boaty . .  .  .

Bottom added the holes are to allow the gas to escape when I glue the sides on (I hope)

P1090284

I don't think I mentioned I'm building it to the waterline plus 3/4mm so it will look OK if I go down the water route

P1090284

P1090291

P1090295

P1090293

P1090292

That's it for today, please feel free to ask any questions

Thanks for looking in

Kev

• Like 11

2 hours ago, longshanks said:

being a slight tug nut from way back

2 hours ago, longshanks said:

Oh Dear another confession on BM 😉

Don't tell anyone but I agree. They have a certain charm/character about them

I am so pleased you answered that first cos I would have been banned for what I was thinking of when Steve put that  :wicked:

Anyway very nice looking Tug reminds me of the harbour tug I built a while back along similar lines anyway  :hmmm:

And what happened to the soapdish Fairlady you where on with  :popcorn:

beefy

• Haha 1

On 21/01/2019 at 20:55, beefy66 said:

reminds me of the harbour tug I built a while back

American jobby if I recall right ?

On 21/01/2019 at 21:47, Courageous said:

I hope I don't live to regret not putting fume holes in my tug bottom.

I would guess if you're going to get a problem it would be within 24 hours. More of a concern if you're using really thin card or a large area under supported.

Not sure yet how I'm going to deal with the bow and stern . . . .

On 22/01/2019 at 01:28, Martian Hale said:

Interesting. I'm in!

Good to have you on board

12 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

What with this and Stuart's Tug, we have an interesting theme going on here.

A good place to start scratch building, perhaps not in such a small scale. See what you think at the end.

28 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Maybe you should start a tug thread...:wicked:

:hmmm: Have you been sniffing the glue again :wink:

You don't want you're sides sagging  ............ 😎

Kev

• Like 5

First task was to make a template of the deck sheer (curve of the deck)

Got it roughly to shape, then fixed a piece of 1mm stock to the sheer. Hold template to the stock piece and draw along the top,a bit of sanding . . 

P1090309 (Copy)

Hey presto we have a sheer profile. Using it here for the bottom of the superstructure

P1090313 (Copy)

Sides of structure fixed together with a couple of light touches of CA. Shaping them this way ensures both are the same. Sliding a blade between cracks the CA

P1090316 (Copy)

Mapping out the sides and showing the tools I use for measuring/drawing and would consider essential for scratch building. Ruler with grid lines and a steel edge for cutting. The grid makes it so easy for cutting/marking  parallel/90' cuts. Two quid at the Range. Next a digital caliper checking card thickness/ tube diameter and measuring . £12-15

The last is the in Incra Metric 150mm Precision Rule Marking Ruler, not cheap at around £25 but worth it if you want to measure precisely / consistently to 0.25mm. 

P1090315 (Copy)

Last for today I've been figuring out how to make the stanchions for the bulwarks (side fence). The bulwarks lean in and are extremely small/ delicate in 0.35mm card. From the frame profiles I've cut out the stanchions leaving a good size piece below deck. Cutting the deck iwo of the bulkheads with a razor saw allowed the stanchions to slide in and could be glued to the bulkheads. That's the plan anyway

P1090312 (Copy)

P1090310 (Copy)

Thanks for stopping by and all the support

Kev

• Like 9

Always learning how to do things from your builds here Kev 

will you be filling up the space between the hull supports or are you just going to add the sides as is. :book:

beefy 

18 hours ago, beefy66 said:

will you be filling up the space between the hull supports or are you just going to add the sides as is

Tried to plate it but even with this simple shape it became problematic, so I've filled in the bow & stern sections with filler. Filler of choice Isopon P38 Easy Sand. This is a car body filler which adheres well to plastic (I normally sand the the area of contact) metal etc. As it says on the tin it's easy to sand, so you're sanding away your model as you blend it. Dries in 15/20 mins.

All the stanchions in place. Dividers used to assist in getting height right (they vary from bow to stern). Behind you can see the sections used to form the stanchions

P1090320

P1090321

Hull skins on over filler 

P1090328

P1090327

Next shots should show every thing blended in. Tip don't apply to much filler at on time, lot easier to build it up in stages.

Thanks for looking in

Kev

• Like 11

Being in the US, I have to say I find it quite amusing that your metal ruler made for measuring metric units is "Made in the USA" considering we still muck around with Imperial units here. :rolleyes:

Looks an interesting project and it is good to see the method.  

Matt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, longshanks said:

Filler of choice Isopon P38 Easy Sand.

Looks like the use of this has worked very well so I better get some of this for my next scratch boat build.

Great work on the stanchions, I wish I was a little bit more forward thinking about this on my build.

A good bit of work from you Kev :yes:

Stuart

• Thanks 1

Turn my back for an instant and now they are ALL building tugs.............:)

Lovely work and once again a great primer.  Personally wish it had been 1/72 but hey ho - I appreciate that wouldn't fit the box.

Looking forward to seeing how you are going to facet those upper plates as per pic 3 T.I.D 164.  Also keen to see how you tackle the tyres .. +/or the "rope" bumper/fender on the bow.

Keep it coming:thumbsup:

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1