Iwata HP-C Plus

Bryan71

Been looking at one of these Iwata HP-C Plus 0.3.But been offered a new one of these Iwata HP-C 50th Anniversary airbrush Limited Edition at a good price 

Interested to know will the Anniversary model have Teflon seals.

Can’t find any details online 

Can’t imagine it wouldn’t.  Isn’t it just a special edition HP-C Plus and that as PTFE seals.

In fact don’t all Iwata brushes have PTFE seals.

A valid concern though, which I guess is why you are asking is that the 50th anniversary was around 2013, so did they have PTFE seals back then, how long has this one been sat on the shelves.

I’m still pretty confident that it will have PTFE  seals, pretty sure Iwata were fitting them back then, certainly to their higher end brushes like this one.  Can you ask the seller?

Possible alarm bells - just looked at the distributer site airbrushes.com and the part lists for the HP-C Plus and the HP-C Anniversary.  For the HP-C Plus it list PTFE packing but for the Anniversary it is an old style rubber o-ring. 

Not sure if the parts are interchangeable, in my experience Iwata have a habit if making some very specific parts.

Also you do realise that the Anniversary edition is not a Plus so doesn’t have the preset handle.

How much are you saving over the HP-C Plus?

Parts list for the HP-C Plus

https://airbrushes.com/parts_info.php?cPath=400_403_1_9_49&products_id=34

Parts list for the HP-C Anniversary

https://airbrushes.com/parts_info.php?cPath=400_403_1_9_49&products_id=21587

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by nheather

4 minutes ago, nheather said:

Can’t imagine it wouldn’t.  Isn’t it just a special edition HP-C Plus and that as PTFE seals.

In fact don’t all Iwata brushes have PTFE seals.

A valid concern though, which I guess is why you are asking is that the 50th anniversary was around 2013, so did they have PTFE seals back then, how long has this one been sat on the shelves.

I’m still pretty confident that it will have PTFE  seals, pretty sure Iwata were fitting them back then, certainly to their higher end brushes like this one.  Can you ask the seller?

Cheers,

Nigel

Thanks I will ring the shop up and ask.

The only PTFE seal Iwatas have is for the "needle packing screw" that separates the paint area from the rest of the airbrush. It's always been like that to my knowledge. The rest are made from a special rubber. As far as I know H&S are the only ones using PTFE for the nozzle seal and for the air valve plunger seal as standard and for the paint cup seal as an option.

Paul @little-cars should be able to solve the mystery. 

Edited by bmwh548

1 hour ago, Bryan71 said:

Interms of saving it’s about £20 less than the plus.Preset handle isn’t an issue.

more concerned about the seals.

Did you see the update to my post.  I’ve found suggestion that the Anniversary does not have PTFE seals but that the HP-C Plus  does.  The PTFE seal is about £11 but not sure if the parts are interchangeable - check first, Iwata can be a little specific in my experience.

Personally, unless the metal box and the gunmetal finish are things you particularly want I’d stick with the HP-C Plus.

I’ve found the HP-C Plus for sale for £170 ((UK Retailer) with a little googling.

And like bmwh548 I think it is only the needle packing seal that is PTFE on Iwatas.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by nheather

The old style HP airbrushes has rubber seals. I like the feel of the rubber seals better, but when using lacquer paint they can get damaged, even if it hasn’t happened to me yet. If you don’t bath it in hot thinner for long time, they won’t get damaged, at least not with moderate use, and the rubber seals are inexpensive. I would probably worry more about the shape of the cup. The older style cup is a lot harder to clean than the newer Plus model HP airbrushes. I had the 50 year anniversary model for a while, but I found it a bit lacking both compared to the old Iwata and Olympos C-models, since it wasn’t as nice in the finish as the older ones, and it didn’t have the benefits of the more modern design HP-C Plus either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1