Percival Vega Gull "The Messenger", 1/48, Dora Wings

dora

A delectable model of the plane used by the legendary  Beryl Markham, of Kenya fame, to become the first woman to cross the Atlantic from east to west. Although she didn't quite attain her goal of reaching New York…

Percival-P.10-Vega-Gull-K.34-VP-KCC-The-

Thank you, Dora, for the model and for opening the door to a dramatic episode in aviation history!

Anybody interested in the background to this lovely model, try these URL:s:

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=199390

https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/tag/percival-p-10-vega-gull/

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

West with the Night eh? Was it really that colour, I always imagined it silver dope & am keen to do it in 1/72 but in that colour, not so sure. :unsure:

Steve.

From the "this day in aviation" webpage above:

"4–5 September 1936: At 6:50 p.m., British Summer Time, Beryl Markham departed RAF Abingdon, Oxfordshire, England, aboard a turquoise blue and silver Percival P.10 Vega Gull, registration VP-KCC."

Good luck with the model!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Oh wow! I absolutely love that. What a beautiful aeroplane from the classic age. Superb build and paint job Eugen, thanks for showing it.

I need to get hold of one of these kits ASAP!

Cheers

John

Love the color but more importantly the subject.  Beryl Markham was an amazing woman and West With the Night is a great memoir, well worth the read for anyone interested in aviation or just adventure - It is very well written.  She grew up in Kenya and was a bush pilot there. She was one fearless woman.  If this is one of the choices with this kit I will certainly have to build it myself.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, stevehnz said:

West with the Night eh? Was it really that colour, I always imagined it silver dope & am keen to do it in 1/72 but in that colour, not so sure. :unsure:

Steve.

Colour looks exactly correct to a Pantone match I sent Dora Wings based on the original Titanine shade.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ah Beryl Markham, I never realised it was that colour. A rather fetching pastel colour. But I suppose these days we think the whole world was black and white back then. 

Only today I stopped and had a look at what was once a thriving 1930s aerodrome, eerily untouched despite extensive development around it. Another pioneering female aviator, Lady Mary Heath was involved there. Kildonan it was called, these days right under the shadow of the eternally busy Dublin airport.

What ghosts inhabit those fields!

Edited by noelh
  • Like 2

What an excellent model,....... I would like to build one in RAF markings but had trouble finding one for sale on line at a reasonable price to go alongside my Proctor.

Cheers

Tony  

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 9:24 PM, stevehnz said:

Steve.

Perhaps you are thinking of Jean Batten's Gull which was, indeed, overall silver.

And you could consider doing the Gull of P.G. (Bill) Taylor which was a lovely blue and silver.

Tim

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VH-USB said:

Perhaps you are thinking of Jean Batten's Gull which was, indeed, overall silver.

Hi Tim, I think in this case it's just a case of poor photo interpretation & maybe a bit of missing the obvious. :unsure: I've read Beryl Markham's "West with the Night" & her Biography "Straight on till Morning" & from neither did I get a mental picture of a turquoise aircraft. Not to worry though, I see that one of the 1/72 kits comes with this option so I'll be after one of those & one of the others with the RNZAF option, Now if they'd just bring out a Gull, it'd save me buying yet a third to convert to Jean Batten's.  :)

Steve.

• 4 weeks later...