MiG-15 (Lim-1), Eduard 1/72

opus999

10 hours ago, Kitchen Modeller said:

I would have waited until the decals were on before starting weathering

8 hours ago, Courageous said:

My thoughts too, makes sense that any weathering would effect them too.

You guys reminded me that I forgot to address this... I'd planned to say that typically it's best to wait until the decals are on, but since there are no insignia on the top and the rest have few if any panel lines cross them, I decided to go against my better judgment and give in to my impatience. My plan is to do some "touch up" washing and weathering around the decals when they're finished. In the end this is more work, but I've been very anxious to practice more with my new watercolors.

Very good points, though!  thanks! :)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, opus999 said:

You guys reminded me that I forgot to address this... I'd planned to say that typically it's best to wait until the decals are on, but since there are no insignia on the top and the rest have few if any panel lines cross them, I decided to go against my better judgment and give in to my impatience. My plan is to do some "touch up" washing and weathering around the decals when they're finished. In the end this is more work, but I've been very anxious to practice more with my new watercolors.

Very good points, though!  thanks! :)

It occurred to me that my reply was probably still confusing since I posted a picture of the decals a couple of posts ago -- so why didn't I put those on first? The decals I ordered included stencils and new insignia and I wanted to keep the ones that I posted a picture of intact in case someone else can use them.

Clear as mud? :D

• Like 1

On 01/02/2019 at 22:11, John D.C. Masters said:

This is true.  These Eduard Migs are precisely engineered.  I found that it is best to paint only the areas that will not touch.  Even a smidgen of a millimetre will throw the fit off significantly.  Glad you're having fun!  Nice kit.  I built the Korean aircraft.

So true. All mating surfaces need to be cleaned of paint as its a very ‘tight’ kit. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

So true. All mating surfaces need to be cleaned of paint as its a very ‘tight’ kit. 

It certainly went much better when I took the cockpit apart, cleaned all the mating surfaces and re-glued it.  The fuselage went together much more easily then (though, I still had to apply a little pressure to keep the seam sealed.

Had a little time before bed last night to finish the stencils and some time before work to put on 5 of the 8 insignia and numbers.

orh8VDR.jpg

FyKQ1FD.jpg

The decals are kind of strange -- they're very thin and are easy to apply, but really don't want to soften up.  Even when I apply Mr. Mark Softer for 45 minutes. So, they aren't really showing the rivets or panel lines. Luckily, the insignia and numbers on the port side have no panel lines going through them.  The insignia on the starboard side of the vertical stabilizer does and I ended up having to slice it along the panel line.  Even then it didn't want to settle in. The bottom of the wings should be interesting because there are a ton of panels and ports and stuff that the decal will sit on. I'm not sure if I'll get to it tonight or not.  I want some time that I can keep applying the "Mr. Mark".

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Try using hot water to see if they conform into the panel lines. Not boiling, otherwise the decal will distort.

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sturmovik said:

Try using hot water to see if they conform into the panel lines. Not boiling, otherwise the decal will distort.

I got to the tricky decals tonight and used very hot water and spent some quality time just spreading the Mr. Mark around the decal with a soft brush.  It finally started to soften up.  I repeated the process with the other two and I think they will actually  turn out OK!

• Like 2

The devil's in the details, isn't it? Yesterday morning, I had "a few little things" to do in order to finish this one off.  Those little things took a good deal of the day! But, it's done now and here it is:

QRQCsjY.jpg

RFI is here.

Edited by opus999
added RFI
  • Like 4

On 2/18/2019 at 5:47 PM, Will Vale said:

take care fitting the u/c! I found that very fiddly and the attachment points were rather vague.

Indeed! That part that they wanted you to bend and attach to one of the doors... I tried really hard to bend it without damaging it and it broke right off! I cut the corresponding piece off the other landing gear so they would match.  A minor thing, but still a little bit of a bummer...

3 hours ago, Steve Collins said:

Opus, I think you wound up with a great looking little jet there.  Outstanding job.

Steve

Thank you! I'm very happy with it!

Glad to have you along -- thanks for the nudge toward watercolors. :)

14 hours ago, phantom61 said:

if you also add the radio antenna cable, complete it..

I've never had the courage to try that, but I have recently learned what to use...

Thanks!

On 3/4/2019 at 6:41 PM, opus999 said:

Thank you! I'm very happy with it!

Glad to have you along -- thanks for the nudge toward watercolors. :)

Glad I could help in some small way.

Steve