1/72 - Diamond Da-42 "Twin Star" by Amodel & "Dominator" UAV by SOVA-M - released - new Da-42MPP & VI boxing by Amodel

Homebee

SOVA-M is to release a 1/72nd Diamond Da-42 "Dominator" UAV  kit - ref. SVM-72009

Source: https://www.aviationmegastore.com/diamond-da-42-dominator-uav-svm-72009-sova-models-svm-72009-aircraft-scale-modelling/product/?action=prodinfo&art=160121

Box art

160121-0.jpg

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have wanted a civil DA-42 for a long time and ordered this UAV-kit for conversion. Unfortunately the canopy is a solid grey injection moulded part, not a transparent one. But thr kit looks great otherwise with multiple options for engines and props. There will certainly come out several versions of this kit with different decal options. And hopefully some company will do a vac-form canopy...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi All,

I have just purchased this DA42 model and was surprised to find it comes with cockpit detail despite lacking a clear canopy part. Also, other parts such as smaller horizontal stabilizer tips and standard nose cones are included. This is excellent as I am making a standard DA42 that I flew in with CTC Aviation (now L3).

Can anyone fabricate a clear canopy? Or maybe suggest a work around?

All the best,

Dan 

I imagine Amodel/ SOVA will in due course release the piloted version of the Diamond, it would make sense. It's one of those aircraft that "only" Amodel would release. 

Perhaps thats the better work around and maybe take a mould from the clear canopy included with that one and have two models?

Jeff

Edited by pinky coffeeboat
  • Like 1

I hope so too for a manned version. Have always liked these since I first saw one at Shoreham and flying over my house. It kind of reminds me of a souped up Beagle 206 Bassett.

The single engined version wouldn't go amiss too.....

By the way, why are there 5 propellers  but in two styles????

Not sure about the blades but a pair of curved blades turn the same direction and the other curved blade turn the opposite way, the straighter blades both turn in the same direction.  Perhaps the aircraft is available/ tested with counter rotating set up? And as Gibbo mentions theres quite a few optional parts included such as engines, blades, noses. I'm looking forward to the piloted version being released.

Jeff 

On 1/20/2019 at 4:50 AM, Albeback52 said:

I Should've gone to Specsavers! All I saw was the word "Dominator" and thought : "At last, a Consolidated B-32"! Boy! Was I disappointed!😢😉

Allan

Ditto. At least I had a good laugh at a contraption I never knew existed.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I received my Da-42 a couple of days ago. It's a nice little model that comes with a few unused options (some used on the unmanned Dominator release)

This new kit looks good too so I'll be looking to add this to my stash.

Jeff

• Like 1

I didn't know the crabs had bought some so I had a Google and found some discussion and pictures from over a decade ago. Looking at the picture below, the very recently released kit (Da-42 MNG) can be made as this aircraft. On the very busy sprue shown above, there are three types of EO/IR camera bodies. The one in the picture below with the long projection is included in the kit, along with two types of windshield.

https://www.airteamimages.com/diamond-da-42-twin-star_G-DOSC_united-kingdom---royal-air-force_146103.html

20200110-014850.jpg

Jeff

Edited by pinky coffeeboat

I never saw the RAF DA.42 carry the EO / IR turrets. The one shown above was never in RAF service but was operated for the MoD by DO Systems.

ZA179 & ZA180 were the two RAF ones, there are very few pictures of them online but with some digging some can be found.

They reverted to civil identities G-DOSA & G-DOSB after use in the sandpit.

• Like 1