OV-10A Bronco - 1:72

Paul A H

OV-10A Bronco

1:72 Revell

bronco_01.jpg

The Bronco was conceived as a light attack, long loiter aircraft of modest size, enabling it to operate from roads close to the combat zone. As so often seems the case, the final design turned out to be much larger and heavier due to the requirements of the avionics and ejection seats, thus  limiting its use to conventional airfields. The twin boom aircraft first flew in 1965 and was destined to serve with the US Navy, Airforce and Marines as a replacement for the Cessna O-1 & O-2. The Marines were the first to take the OV-10 into service as a forward air controller operating in both night and day missions. Whilst the Bronco is best known for its operations in Vietnam, it also served in later conflicts as late on as the Gulf war before being retired in 1995. The USAF received Broncos in 1968 and deployed the aircraft in the forward air control role, using smoke laying methods as well as later using laser target designators. Eventually it carried its own ground attack armament including rockets, machine guns and bombs. Seven export contracts were signed, including Germany, Columbia and Indonesia. 

Eagle eyed readers will no doubt have already spotted that this is not (thankfully) the original Revell kit from the 1970s. It's the much more modern Academy kit, originally released in 1999 and now repackaged in one of Revell's familiar large-but-flimsy boxvelopes. The kit features clean, crisp mouldings, fully engraved surface details and a respectable level of detail. All together there are 115 parts spread across four frames of grey plastic and a single frame of clear plastic. Two decal options are included.

bronco_02.jpg

bronco_03.jpg

bronco_04.jpg

bronco_05.jpg

Assembly begins with the tandem cockpit. The seats are not brilliant compared with the most modern kits, but they could easily be swapped out for aftermarket items or jazzed up with some photo etched harnesses. Remaining details include the pilot's control column and instrument panels. Decals are provided for the instrument panels. Once complete, the crew compartment can be sealed up inside the fuselage pod. The nose cone is moulded separately and Revell recommend 8 grams of weight. This seems a little conservative for what looks to be a natural tail-sitter, so I'd be tempted to cram in a bit more. 

The slab-like wing is next, and it contains no surprises such as separate ailerons. Each of the engine pods includes structures for the main landing gear bays, both of which have some structural detail moulded in place. The rudders are moulded in place too. The propellers and engine faces are pretty basic but good enough, while the undercarriage is similarly complete but not overly well detailed. The canopy provides what is possibly the greatest challenge in building the kit, with no fewer than four parts being required to capture accurately the shape. A decent selection of ordnance is included:

• 2 x LAU-10 5 inch rocket pods;
  • 2 x LAU-3 2.75 inch rocket pods;
  • 2 x AIM-9 Sidewinders air-to-air missiles;
  • 4 x Mk.82 Bombs; and
  • 1 x 150 gallon fuel tanks

bronco_06.jpg

Two different options are provides for on the decal sheet. The first is for a Bronco of VAL-4, US Navy, Binh Thuy, South Vietnam, 1969. This aircraft is finished in olive drab over grey. The second aircraft is a US Air Force Bronco of 19 TASS, Bien Hoa, South Vietnam, 1971. This aircraft is finished in overall tactical grey. The decals themselves are nicely printed and include a fair smattering of stencils. 

bronco_07.jpg

Conclusion

Academy's Bronco is a solid kit which, although starting to show its age, is still capable of being built into a faithful and convincing replica. It's not as detailed as many of the modern kits we are used to today, but it has recessed panel lines and just about enough detail to pass muster where it counts. Overall this should be a straightforward kit to build. Recommended.

Revell model kits are available from all good toy and model retailers. For further information visit

logo-revell-2009.gif t_logo-a.png or facebook.gif

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 2:33 PM, Air Hockey Propellers said:

Hmm, why would Revell box an Academy kit?

For the same reason that Airfix does: They want a (relatively) modern kit without investing in a new tool.

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 2:39 PM, spaddad said:

Revell will rebox anybodies kits.

Ahhh nooo, they won't rebox Airfix ! They have cooperated with just about every Major and many minor manufacturers over the decades, including Hasgawa, Fujimi, Otaki, Italeri, Esci, Heller and Lindberg, but never Airfix (as far as I'm Aware). How about Tamiya ?

Had an idea that Revell boxed Airfix’s 1/72 Concorde. Appears to be confirmed on Scalemates.

The ‘Made in’ note on the box can be a clue as to the provenance of the kit, e.g., Japan for a kit originating with Hasegawa, EU for a Polish or Czech kit.

Edited by JosephLalor

51 minutes ago, tempestfan said:

Ahhh nooo, they won't rebox Airfix ! They have cooperated with just about every Major and many minor manufacturers over the decades, including Hasgawa, Fujimi, Otaki, Italeri, Esci, Heller and Lindberg, but never Airfix (as far as I'm Aware). How about Tamiya ?

It was my intention to be ironic, not absolute, but thank you for contradicting me in a most comprehensive way, I really appreciate it.

4 hours ago, JosephLalor said:

Had an idea that Revell boxed Airfix’s 1/72 Concorde. Appears to be confirmed on Scalemates.

The ‘Made in’ note on the box can be a clue as to the provenance of the kit, e.g., Japan for a kit originating with Hasegawa, EU for a Polish or Czech kit.

I think the Concorde tool is owned by Heller, but of course it was released when Heller and Airfix were brands under the same umbrella. Revell has also boxed the Heller Jaguar GR.1 which I think was only released as Airfix, not Heller.

4 hours ago, tempestfan said:

I think the Concorde tool is owned by Heller, but of course it was released when Heller and Airfix were brands under the same umbrella. Revell has also boxed the Heller Jaguar GR.1 which I think was only released as Airfix, not Heller.

Ah, that figures. So indeed Revell have released Heller but not Airfix tooling.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2019 at 10:44 AM, Air Hockey Propellers said:

I'd like to give 'em a call, see if they can rebox those great fujimi kits that are sadly discontinued (I'm thinking the A-4, A-6, A-7, H-3, H-46, and why not, the A-1, too!)

Check the 2019 Italeri catalogue, several Fujimi reissues are planned.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...