1/48 - Yakovlev Yak-9T by Modelsvit - released

Homebee

After the Yak-9DD (link), Modelsvit is to release in March 2019 a 1/48th Yakovlev Yak-9T kit - ref. 4807

New variant with a.o. a new wings sprue and paint masks.

Sources: 

https://www.facebook.com/modelsvit/photos/a.1859368940998815/2277002095902162/?type=3&theater

https://hobbyterra.com/product/1-48-model-kit-yak-9t-anti-tank-soviet-wwii-fighter-modelsvit-4807.html

Hello everyone,
Hope you had a nice and peaceful holiday season...

Our next 1/48 scale kit - Yak-9T anti-tank WWII Soviet fighter is under way, this March to be released.
The kit shall come in 3 camo schemes, including the one of Pierre Pouyade's plane from Normandie-Niemen squadron' (on the art-box).

Have a nice hobby year!!!

50211437.jpg

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Interesting news, considering how I'm just past the point of no return in converting the Modelsvit Yak-9DD to a Yak-9T, by obliterating the extra fuel tankage that the -9DD carried! And I have another one already in transit from Ukraine. However, the more Yak-9's the better; eventually someone will manage a good one, or series of good ones, in 1/72!

John

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Col. said:

Cool! The dimensions stated on the box, however, work out at 72nd scale :hmmm: 

Now I'm hoping (without much hope) that the dimensions are correct, but the scale should read 1/72 and the kit number should begin with 72!

John

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, John Thompson said:

Now I'm hoping (without much hope) that the dimensions are correct, but the scale should read 1/72 and the kit number should begin with 72!

John

Hope you are not disappointed John. If it is 48th scale I'll likely get one. If, however, it's 72nd scale I could be tempted to get a couple and look at what it'd take to convert one into the 'new' type with their Allison engine :hmmm: 

• Like 2

Same here, but if (as I very much doubt) it is 1/72, then I'll probably buy 5 or 6!

You lost me on that conversion comment - by "new type", did you mean Yak-9U or Yak-9P? These had a different engine (Klimov VK-107) from the basic Yak-9/D/T/etc. series (VK-105), but it wasn't an Allison. If you're wanting a Yak-9U or Yak-9P, Amodel did both of them, although they're getting scarce now. They're very well detailed kits, but as you'd guess, they do require some sanding and dry-fitting to get them ready for assembly. Even so, that would probably be easier than converting a Yak-9T. There was a batch of new-build Yak-3's produced back in the mid-'90s for the "warbird" market which had Allison engines; if you wanted to build one of those, the Zvezda 1/72 Yak-3 would be a good starting point.

John

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, John Thompson said:

Same here, but if (as I very much doubt) it is 1/72, then I'll probably buy 5 or 6!

You lost me on that conversion comment - by "new type".... There was a batch of new-build Yak-3's produced back in the mid-'90s for the "warbird" market which had Allison engines; if you wanted to build one of those, the Zvezda 1/72 Yak-3 would be a good starting point.

John

I was reading about the Yak-9 also produced recently with Allison engines but of course can't find the page it was on. This is the best I can come up with right away, http://www.aero-concept.com/Pages/Pages_reserved/Other_pages/3_Page.html 

20 hours ago, John Thompson said:

Interesting news, considering how I'm just past the point of no return in converting the Modelsvit Yak-9DD to a Yak-9T, by obliterating the extra fuel tankage that the -9DD carried! And I have another one already in transit from Ukraine. However, the more Yak-9's the better; eventually someone will manage a good one, or series of good ones, in 1/72!

John

the logic of doing a rather limted version first was odd, even though it was easy enough to backdate, now they have done the wing wonder how long it will take to do the early Yak-9 fuselage...

2 hours ago, Col. said:

I was reading about the Yak-9 also produced recently with Allison engines but of course can't find the page it was on. This is the best I can come up with right away, http://www.aero-concept.com/Pages/Pages_reserved/Other_pages/3_Page.html 

If you do convert a Yak to Allison power, don't forget that the Allison had opposite-handed rotation compared to the Klimov, so you'll need a different (P-51A?) prop.

2 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

the logic of doing a rather limted version first was odd, even though it was easy enough to backdate, now they have done the wing wonder how long it will take to do the early Yak-9 fuselage...

There's always the Vector 1/48 Yak-9/-9D resin fuselage conversion, unless you fancy cutting out the -9T cockpit opening and moving it forward by a scale 400mm!

John

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, John Thompson said:

If you do convert a Yak to Allison power, don't forget that the Allison had opposite-handed rotation compared to the Klimov, so you'll need a different (P-51A?) prop.

I did see mention of the prop rotation and so far as I can see the spinner is also longer. There's also some differences to the upper cowling shapes but not looked in any greater depth yet.

32 minutes ago, John Thompson said:

There's always the Vector 1/48 Yak-9/-9D resin fuselage conversion,

Vector resin is lovely, but expensive.

32 minutes ago, John Thompson said:

unless you fancy cutting out the -9T cockpit opening and moving it forward by a scale 400mm!

Not that simple, the panelling and fabric are different... while it'as not impossible to redo the fabric skinning, it does mean really re skinning the whole rear fuselage, it would be easier to go from  Yak-9 to one of later rear mounted cockpits...

yak9-1.gif

Yak-9T

yak9t-1.gif

One little aside, the LTD Yak-9 kit compare very well in shape and size to the Modelsvit kit.   

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

Not that simple, the panelling and fabric are different... while it'as not impossible to redo the fabric skinning, it does mean really re skinning the whole rear fuselage, it would be easier to go from  Yak-9 to one of later rear mounted cockpits...

Well, I will admit that my experience is based on converting the Valom 1/72 Yak-9 (early series) to a Yak-9T, not going in the other direction, but to me it still doesn't look like reskinning is necessary - the longerons are in the same places, so a bit of sanding or whatever to extend the fabric "sag" a bit forward, and some filling and relocating of panel lines, and you're there.

It was really just a general comment - I wasn't trying to provide chapter and verse on how to do the conversion.

John

Edited by John Thompson

On 1/20/2019 at 3:31 PM, John Thompson said:

John

The dimensions on the box are really in 1/72, but exactly the same are given for the #4804 Yak-9DD, so chances for this new Yak-9T being in 1/72 do equal zero.

They have simply rescribed the wing fuel tanks and enlarged the cannon muzzle - otherwise the -9T and -9DD airframes are the same.

Cheers

Michael

2 hours ago, dragonlanceHR said:

DD kit has parts for both T and K versions. All it needs are new decals and instructions which fuel tanks/ports need to be puttied.

Vedran

There you go - one of the Foxbot 1/48 Yak-9 decal sheets (46-006, 48-008), some Mr Surfacer, and a good set of drawings (Leipnik; MHobby) and a big-gun Yak-9 is possible without waiting on Modelsvit! At least, that's the method I was using.

John