Landing Ship Medium

Well calling this done it is my interpretation of the Revell 1/144 scale LSM used by the US navy during the later part of the Pacific war to Island hop large amounts of men and armour

The build was inspired buy a model from Julian Swallows(Gremlin 56) who sadly is no longer building with us but I hope he is looking down thinking not bad BUT?  :angel:

The only concern I had with the kit was the stanchions I had to replace because my clumsy hammer hands broke most of them trying to remove from the sprue

I added the crew using the Shapeways 3D printed figures good but need to be handled with care during wash down of the wax residue again hammer hands  :doh:

It was a fun build away from all the extras of late so Thanks for looking in and even helping along with the build  :winkgrin:

IMG-5836.jpg

IMG-5837.jpg

IMG-5840.jpg

IMG-5841.jpg

IMG-5843.jpg

IMG-5844.jpg

Well that is the third one completed this year so not doing to bad

Now for that BPBC  :rage:

beefy

• Like 55

4 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

That is one awesome build Beefy, nice one bud :thumbsup:

Cheers Dan appreciate that coming from someone who has a great eye for details  👍

beefy

• Thanks 1

On 1/19/2019 at 4:11 PM, Nick Charnock said:

Brilliant Beefy, love i!

Cheers

Nick

On 1/19/2019 at 10:21 PM, Courageous said:

Great stuff Beefy.

...at last!

Stuart

On 1/20/2019 at 1:52 PM, JohnWS said:

Awesome job beefy!

It's amazing what a few scale figures & water spouts will do to bring a model ship to life.  :worthy:

John

On 1/20/2019 at 6:28 PM, BeeKay said:

Love it mate 👍

3 hours ago, franco1964 said:

what a nice battle scenery! Nice work!

Gent's thanks for all the kind comments and likes

On 1/20/2019 at 8:08 AM, longshanks said:

Great job Keith, Julian will be proud of you 😎

Kev

Cheers Kev appreciate all the help and encouragement over the last few years see even this old dog can learn new tricks  :dog:

beefy

• 2 weeks later...

I have this very same kit in my stash- you’ve done a fine job on the model, indeed!   I especially like the work you did on the camouflage painting.  I feel that the railings  are the kit’s worst feature- fragile stanchions with over-scale thread— so I wouldn’t be to hard on yourself there!  You did well with some far-from-ideal materials.

I must admit, I am a little confused by the base- what is the story/scenario you were going for?  An invasion of a hostile shore, I assume?  The ship is under close fire, after all. But a partial load of supply trucks wouldn’t be in the first wave of an assault.  So maybe this load is reinforcements, after the initial assault- the splashes could be from indirect fire a long ways off, or an air attack. But the beach is too pristine for a “Day 2” scene.   And the tanks didn’t leave any tracks in the sand...

I am really impressed with your  “water skills”  — the waves, the way the crests are done, and the splashes are some of the best I’ve seen in this scale.  The wake around the ship looks well done too, as a technique-  but it also makes the ship look like it is moving when it is obviously beached.   

My apologies if I’m over-thinking all of this.  As a former sea-going officer, my eye just picks up things like this- I can’t help it.   

One last tip-  if the ship is beached to unload, the stern anchor would be deployed.   Instead of installing the anchor, just have the steel cable coming off the reel and disappearing into the water.

As I said, I have this kit in the stash.  Your excellent build makes me want to build mine, even though I know the end result won’t look as nice as yours!

-Bill

• Thanks 1

Hi there Bill thanks for the comments and tips will try to remember the details. :book:

BUT I build for fun for me so sometimes what I build is not always accurate 

this was more of a learning curve build with new techniques for me to try out 

cheers. Beefy 

• 8 months later...
10 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Yep, I can see why it won a gong sir.

Well done Beefy.

Simon.

Thank you Simon it was inspired by an old friend @Gremlin56 I basically copied his build always so helpfull

beefy

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 2Step said:

great scene, small but still very expressive!!

I have the German navy version in my stack - what did you use for figures if I may ask?

Hi 2step the figures are from shapeways a little on the expensive side but very nice details 

beefy 

• 2 weeks later...

Love it,...... and love the dio,....... my only criticism is that you forgot to turn your Iron on when pressing that sheet LOL!!

Great Stuff,....... cheers,...Tony

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just seen this. I love it!

My late Dad was in LST 's during the war and although your model is slightly different to his ships it did remind me of him and for that I thank you.

• Thanks 1