Argentinian Artillery Pieces

goon

Hi All,

I've just finished Tom Martin's 'Falklands Gunner' and have been inspired to add to my collection of models from this was. I'm trying to find some kits that match the photos in the book. There are some shots labelled '155mm Field Howitzer' which I think matches the Trumpeter M198 Early Version. Could someone with more than my (extremely) rudimentary knowledge of artillery confirm this?

Also, if anyone knows of a kit I could use to represent a '105mm Pack Howitzer' (apparently previously owned by 7 Regiment Royal Horse Artillery I'd be very grateful.

Cheers,

Gareth

The Argentinian 155mm gun was a local design, called Model 77. This was the gun from the French F3 self propelled gun on a locally designed carriage.

The 105 is the Italian Model 56(1956 in some sources).

I've no idea on kit availability.

For the 155 you'd need the old Heller "AMX13/155" kit for the gun.  But it would need a lot of work as the kit is ancient and basic. A metal barrel would be essential.  The carriage would have to be a scratchbuild/ cross-kit.

Aussie Armour make a 105mm M56 Pack Howitzer in 1/35 resin.  Available through Mouse House in Oz here: http://www.mheaust.com.au/MHE/MHEmain.htm

There was, IIRC, a resin and white metal kit with a Spanish crew by a Spanish company called Los Huarpes: they used the Spanish name for it - Obús Oto Melara Modelo 56.