Arma Hobby 1:72 Hurricane

FZ6

I have been eagerly anticipating the Arma Hobby Hurricane since it was announced and have done a combined order with a friend of mine to get an expert kit and some overtrees. I also stocked up on Hurricne I decals as now this kit has been released, I can now do all the Hurricanes I ever wanted to. Unfortunately the Hurricanes were delivered to my friends house the day after I went up to see him and haven’t had the chance to revisit him so I did the only logical thing. I ordered another one! This arrived on Monday and it went straight to the top of the stack. Hopefully I can get it built for the Huddersfield Halifax show next month. I’ll be painting it up as P3119 which is an all black Hurricane serving with 87 Sqn with the code VY X at Gravesend late 1940 and will be using the excellent Aviaeology decals from the Vital Storm Early Hurricanes collection part 1.

Lets take a look at what’s in the box.

Box Art.

Arma Hobby Hurricane Box Art

Main sprue.

Arma Hobby Hurricane Main Sprue

Arma Hobby Hurricane Main Sprue

Small Sprue

Arma Hobby Hurricane Small Sprue

Clear Sprue

Arma Hobby Hurricane Clear Sprue

Decals, Etch and Masks

Arma Hobby Hurricane Decals Etch Masks

I’m really impressed by this kit and think it must be the best 1:72 metal wing Hurricane I out there. Time to offload my Alleycat Metal Wing Hurricane conversion for the Airfix kit as I won’t need it.......

It has some lovely detail. Correct shape wheel wells and a decently shaped canopy and windscreen. Probably the best available in this scale so far.

There are also plenty of options as well with this kit. Choices of prop and spinner as well as a tropical filter.

I can’t wait to get started.....

• Like 5

Wheel Wells

I decided to start with the wheel wells. The location pins for the sides of part 20 are too big to fit into the holes in Part 21 so I made the holes bigger until it fitted perfectly. The photo below shows the part after modification.

Arma Hobby Hurricane

As I was using the etched part, I had to remove all the detail  from the top of the wheel well. The kit detail is nice though even if you choose no to use the etch or have the Junior set without the etch.

After I scraped off all the detail, I drilled out the large protrusion in the centre of the wheel bay as this is a shield for a coolant pipe I believe so I could add the pipe which goes through a hole in the wing spar. Despite being armed with photos of the wheel well and an Airfix Hurricane I’d already worked on, I managed to drill the whole in the wrong place not once but twice! I filled in the erroneous holes with stretched sprue.

Arma Hobby Hurricane

Arma Hobby Hurricane

the cross members (Parts 23 and 24) needed a but of clean up and fettleing to get into position but look ok once in place.

I’m quite pleased with how this turned out and makes a nice addition to an already detailed kit part.

Next up is the cockpit while I’m painting the wheel well.

Thanks for looking,

Mark

• Like 17

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

These AH Hurri kits seem very popular.

Stuart

They certainly are. 😃

Since posting yesterday, I've been busy assembling the cockpit for the Hurricane but before I started the cockpit I decided to thin the front area of the cowling and to hollow out the scoops on the nose. I feel that this adds a level of finesse to a Hurricane model. I did this by gently and carefully carving and scraping the inside of each fuselage half till I got it as thin as I dared.

45904914315_25f3e7767a_b.jpg

Arma Hobby Hurricane by Mark Maclean, on Flickr

46767335142_bbe2cb8c5c_b.jpg

Once the prop is in place I think it looks good.

45904914965_0a880bd9f6_b.jpg

Next job was to clean up and assemble the cockpit parts. This expert set comes with some beautifully crafted photo etch. I decided to paint the main instrument panel on the fret but all the other parts were carefully removed from the fret and glued into positon. Some detail needed to be carefully removed from the kit parts in some cases. The only parts I didn't use were the rudder pedals. The instructions were a bit vague on where to cut off the plastic parts and the plastic was acceptable so I'll keep the etch for another kit.

46094721014_53c39b23fc_b.jpg

The kit instrument Panel was on the thick side and my experience is that due to how thick it can get when the etch is sandwiched together with it, a lot of sanding of the kit parts is required.

I decided the kit instrument panel was too good to waste so made a new one and will use the kit one on an old Airfix Hurricane I want to build.

46767335452_ffd6630007_b.jpg

All parts were then painted in alclad black primer ready for some colour to be added.

46094721294_0907af2a9c_b.jpg

45904914565_0d14d78005_b.jpg

46094721624_f02a696c7a_b.jpg

cockpit floor primed by Mark Maclean, on Flickr

45904914735_49849bb50b_b.jpg

Due to the nature of the Hurricane, The cockpit on the real thing is a mass of framing, wires, pipes and cables and I feel that Arma have provided enough to make it look sufficiently busy.

Next job is to glue the wing and paint the interior.

Thanks for looking,

Mark

Edited by FZ6
  • Like 13

I'm liking the look of this Mark, especially what you're doing at the nose, something I'm keen to try with my one which landed over the weekend. I'm so impressed with this kit, even the plastic feels nice to fondle to the touch. :D 

Steve. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while but here is an update on some of the work I've been doing to this model.

I've been asking about the color scheme I want to paint my Hurricane here

large_000000.jpg&key=c5d7b711ce4eeecd195

There a few mods I need to make to the colour scheme to ensure I can make it as accurate as I can.  First off, this Hurricane has 6 stub exhausts so I have robbed a set from one of my Eduard Sptfire IX kits so I'll need to mod the attachment points so they will fit. 

33067742598_3b8bb5b9ca_b.jpg

Eduard Spitfire IX exhausts by Mark Maclean, on Flickr

The second is the codes, they look lighter than the red on the roundel so I'll do them in sky grey and a pot of said paint in en route from  @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies Looks like the canopy and aerial mast might be green. There also looks to be paint chipping and heavy exhaust staining so hopefully when finished I have something of similar quality to my Defiant.

16345762989_a4d9b4a43a_b.jpg

Defiant Completed 01 by Mark Maclean, on Flickr

One of the jobs I did over the last week is to do a bit of the finer detailing. Firstly, as I was having the canopy open, I wanted to have the retractable stirrup the pilot uses to climb onto the wing deployed. When this is deployed, It opens up a hand hold on the fuselage which helps the pilot access the aircraft.

I carefully cut it out and when I compared it to an Airfix kit I've already modified, the hand hold is a bit too small so I enlarged it slightly.

46891020342_dd9a3cf568_b.jpg

Fuselage hand hold by Mark Maclean, on Flickr

The hole for the retractable footstep was carefully drilled out and can be made out in the photo below which also show how well the wheel wells have turned out after a spray with alclad.

33067743118_303c13eac1_b.jpg

Wheel bays painted by Mark Maclean, on Flickr

Next up was the cockpit parts. I've painted the main colours. Just need to do a bit of painting and detailing now before I can close up the fuselage.

33067742508_2762c7d348_b.jpg

Cockpit parts painted by Mark Maclean, on Flickr

32002454857_b4604b3d91_b.jpg

Cockpit painted by Mark Maclean, on Flickr

Earlier this week I had a mishap where I broke the aerial attachment point on the rudder. (and done a similar thing to my Airfix kit as well!)

As I knew I couldn't really glue it and hold a wire so I very carefully drilled a hole in the rudder where it had broke off. I was going to do it with brass rod but in the end I used an old drill bit cut to size and it seems to have worked.

33067742768_b86c8b3404_b.jpg

Radio Aerial repair by Mark Maclean, on Flickr

As I did my diorama base for the Defiant I thought I'd have a go at making one for the Hurricane using a picture frame I picked up in Wilkinsons.

32002252467_39efe36343_b.jpg

Diorama Layout? by Mark Maclean, on Flickr

The Trolley Accumulator is a Flightpath one and the figure is one of the excellent white metal figures sold by Gunthwaite Miniatures.

Hopefully with some ground work and static grass, it should look the part. Another update on the cockpit soon all being well.

Thanks for looking,

Mark

• Like 10

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...