1/72 Airfix 'Bronze' Defiants +++COMPLETED+++

BIG X

I'm still feeling a bit 'down', but equally I'm still fighting to keep my mojo alive.  Over the last few weeks I've knocked up half a dozen 'bronze ornaments' - as shelf fillers...

DEF001.jpg

I had a rummage through the stash and found these - to continue the theme...

DEF002.jpg

I originally bought them as a distant relative of mine flew one and died in one during the Battle of Britain.

Pilot Officer Harold Ingham Goodall

Goodall-portrait1-opt.jpg

along with his gunner - a brave New Zealander - Sgt Robert Bett Mirk Young

sgt.-robert-bett-mirk-young-40197-r.n.z.

These guys regularly flew in 2 particular Defiants - L7024 & N1627 for 264 Sqn, but after extensive trawling of the web and with help from Andy Long @AndyL I have been unable to find a code letter for either aircraft - so I've decided to add these 2 kits to my bronze collection.

• Like 9

These will make nice additions to the collection mate. I've a massive soft spot for the defiant, looking forward to seeing your progress with these. 

• Thanks 1

I did buy a few books on Defiants...

DEF003.jpg

Uncle Harold gets a mention in the Combat log book and his story is well documented on the 'aircrew remembered' website and BoB memorial websites.  As I said - sadly no proper code letters though - so time to press on with a couple of 'bronze tributes' - one wheels up and one wheels down.

As others have commented in various threads - this really is a nice kit - here are the sprues...

DEF004.jpg

with a good choice of clear parts too...

DEF005.jpg

I started by picking the parts I needed for each build and doing some rough cutting...

DEF006.jpg

....followed by a bit of 'tidying up'...

DEF007.jpg

As you can see the prop is already together - flying along. :D

More progress in a bit - I want these finished by tomorrow night - thanks for taking a peek - Steve

• Like 3

I've been a bit 'distracted' this evening and the time has simply flown by.  Gluing has been the order of the day...

DEF008.jpg

DEF009.jpg

DEF010.jpg

As you can see I got the main parts of the wing done and got the fuselage together.  They are going together really well.

• Like 3

Hi Steve,

Good to see you're back in the saddle ref the Defiant. I recently paid a visit to Parkstone Cemetery where your Uncle Harold is buried, and paid my respects.  I had a go at tracing his widow, as they had a house not far from the golf club, but no joy.

I have found the crash site of his Defiant near Marlow, and will be heading out there in the spring to take some photos. Also, I now have all the documentation from the casualty file which gives a bit more information regarding their loss; I'm in no doubt they were shot down by a target they were investigating. I will send you the file - not much in there but interesting nonetheless.

Regards,

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Wow....

Man on a MISSION...!!

One in a weekend would be good going.

You up all night?!

Don't panic Rob - they don't take long when your not worrying about a 'proper paintjob'.  I was up late as it happens - but only fixing things I had already broken :doh:  It's a bit like making models when you were a 5 year old :lol:

• Like 4

7 hours ago, AndyL said:

Hi Steve,

Good to see you're back in the saddle ref the Defiant. I recently paid a visit to Parkstone Cemetery where your Uncle Harold is buried, and paid my respects.  I had a go at tracing his widow, as they had a house not far from the golf club, but no joy.

I have found the crash site of his Defiant near Marlow, and will be heading out there in the spring to take some photos. Also, I now have all the documentation from the casualty file which gives a bit more information regarding their loss; I'm in no doubt they were shot down by a target they were investigating. I will send you the file - not much in there but interesting nonetheless.

Regards,

Andy

Hi Andy  Thanks for the offer of sending extra info - it's most appreciated.  I believe the crash site was 'professionally' investigated a few years back - as a gauge from the IP was on an auction site a while ago.  Strangely I couldn't trace who the 'diggers' were, as I would have liked to know what condition the aircraft was in.  The site was obviously investigated at the time of the crash - as their bodies were recovered - but 'stuff' must have been left 'in-situ'.  I'll drop you an email - so you have mine - Thank You Sir

• Like 1

I popped over to the Bolton Model Show this morning - great turnout folks - well done to everyone.  When I got back I had a quick cuppa and got back to the bench - there is work to be done...

DEF013.jpg

DEF014.jpg

DEF016.jpg

DEF017.jpg

DEF018.jpg 

So - that's the tail on / stabilizers / exhausts / nosecone for the prop / front air intake / turret platform / canopy - all in place in short order.

Then it was time for a bacon butty :D

• Like 3

The undercarriage on the wheels down version is a little 'fragile' - I guess I'm out of practice...

DEF015.jpg

but the wheels up version is absolutely 'flying along'...

DEF019.jpg

I used needles for the aerial masts - and the extremely long pitot...

DEF020.jpg

You could have had someone's eye out with the real thing :lol: 

• Like 3

WHOOPS - ARRGGGHHHH!!!!!

I had a bit of an accident with the first set of guns - I inadvertently snapped the 2 on the left hand side & I've had to replace them with a couple of pins :blush:

DEF011.jpg

oh well...  I'll try and be more careful with the second set...

DEF012.jpg

...all part of the fun I guess:whistle:

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

He goes to a show, drinks tea, makes..... and EATS... bacon butties....

And still he's on the Case.

(Just checking if this is a Bank Holiday weekend..... Doesn't seem to be though...)

Rob - you are 'wicked'...

You'll be pleased to know the primer is on the 'wheels up' version...

DEF021.jpg

The wheels down is taking a tad longer - as the undercart door are refusing to set in position - more later - hopefully ;)

• Like 4

The wheels down version is now under primer...

DEF022.jpg

...and the wheels up version is now complete - if still a little sticky...

DEF023.jpg

DEF024.jpg

It's been a busy day - Steve

• Like 4

There is a lady here with a stopwatch, says she's from the Guinness book, and she needs confirmation of which time zone your operating in.

She says it doesn't matter about the wet paint... TV 48hr house- makeover rules apply.

I reckon it's in the bag, @BIG X.

• Haha 1

Hey @rob Lyttle I should point out I did get time to watch Man City beat Huddersfield too - not in the flesh - but on Sky this afternoon.  It isn't going to get finished tonight - as to the time zone GMT of course - GOODALL MODEL TIME :lol:

• Haha 1

• BIG X changed the title to Defiants to the end - Mission Complete!!!

Before leaving for work this morning I gave the wheels down Defiant parts a quick look over and decided they were dry enough to push fit together...

DEF025.jpg

Both are now happily sat on the shelf - mission complete...

DEF026.jpg

I'm now pondering what to do next week...

Thanks for looking in - Steve

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Courageous said:

What pair's have you got in the stash...careful. :rofl:

Otherwise...Mustang, Hawks...?

Stuart

Hi Stuart - I was pondering either a Stuka or a Gladiator - singly - as they are 'wheels down' by default.  Also the Stuka will only 'just fit' into the shelf unit.

So this is where you've been hiding?

Looking really rather good - that's a nice collection and the bronze finish works a treat.

All the best

Ben

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, badger said:

So this is where you've been hiding?

Looking really rather good - that's a nice collection and the bronze finish works a treat.

All the best

Ben

Cheers Mate.

• BIG X changed the title to 1/72 Airfix 'Bronze' Defiants +++COMPLETED+++