Wooden Wonder (literally)

Hello you, and a belated welcome to 2019.

Here is a quicky I did in the post Christmas blues, a Mozzie carved from wood and camouflaged with wood stain. Its a bit of a mishmash, its supposed to be the cannon armed fighter, but the cockpit and exhaust blisters are from the MkIV bomber and the Brownings are too high in the nose. Still, it kept me out of the wife's way for a couple of weeks so it's all good. 

Enjoy. :)

32923340058_a75ee2ce11_b.jpg
31857402147_5b331e533c_b.jpg
32923340978_e88e23981f_b.jpg
31857402597_4ed603d213_b.jpg

45884010635_8060d7fb7a_b.jpg

32923343828_b143351b55_b.jpg
45884011645_723c9975e5_b.jpg

32923342128_ee38250b6b_b.jpg 

• Like 38

I often wondered what to do with a yuletide log in an all-electric flat!

Re learning the skill from 3 generations of model production ago - when a 'kit' was three lumps of balsa, a tube of wood glue and a badly drawn boxtop.

Good job - you might have to teach us those skills in the post-plastic era. 🤔

• Like 2

Good job Redshift! I thought this one might show up on your ‘to do’ list. As I have observed previously, your tastes lean towards ‘icons of British speed and power’ and this is just such a subject. 👍

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for the kind words :)

Personally, I find that with a plastic kit I take something nearly perfect, like a Tamiya kit, then proceed to muck it up with ham fisted glueing and painting that would loo bad in a primary school class, whereas taking a lump of wood and finding the aircraft within feels like I'm making more than the sum of the parts. This is why I visit this forum, to watch the experts make the plastic models properly, and to read Bandsaw Steve's latest excuses for not finishing his avro! 😛

• Haha 2

I'm already looking forward to seeing your hand-carved models of the Bristol 188 and Lockheed SR-71 also in the original materials. Stainless steel should be easy enough to come by, titanium might be bit trickier! :pilot:

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Redshift said:

This is why I visit this forum, to watch the experts make the plastic models properly, and to read Bandsaw Steve's latest excuses for not finishing his avro! 😛

That’s not fair!

I would have finished that Avro by now but my shoelaces came undone! 😠

• Haha 1