BAE Hawk Red Arrows Hobbyboss 1/48

This Hawk comes from Hobbyboss. The model was bulit almost straight out of box, except for modifications on wings. I removed the small wing fences that were intended for model Hawk 51, Hawk 60, Hawk 65 and Hawk 67, and added stall strips on the leading edge of wings.
The model was painted with white and yellow primers, then painted with Super Italian Red. All paints used were from Gunze. 
Decals are thin and soft. Several layers of Gunze GX100 clear coats were applied before polishing and applying decals. A few layers of  Gunze GX100 clear coats were applied over the decal before final polishing. 
One should be careful with decals under wings since Hobbyboss did not cut out the place were flap hinges are located.  The detonation cord inside the canopy is represented with white decals, which were a bit smaller than the embossed detail on the plastic part.
Other than the small issues above, it is a pleasant experience to bulid the Hobbyboss Red Arrows.

5140406agy1fvvdv43ei6j20s70futdw.jpg

5140406agy1fvvdv48rdlj20s80by0xy.jpg

5140406agy1fvvdv45krhj20sg0h90x9.jpg

5140406agy1fvvdv45krhj20sg0h90x9.jpg

5140406agy1fvvdv4ligdj20sg0iy795.jpg

5140406agy1fvvebjyjzyj20sg0iy43o.jpg

5140406agy1fvvebi6ccjj20sg0iy79c.jpg

5140406agy1fvvebe3z4rj20sg0iydkl.jpg

5140406agy1fvvebdcrwij20sg0iywk3.jpg

5140406agy1fvvebabl8sj20sg0iy41e.jpg

5140406agy1fvveb5bthtj20sg0iyq8d.jpg

5140406agy1fvveb48moxj20sg0iygqm.jpg

5140406agy1fvveb3kgvyj20sg0iyjw0.jpg

Edited by ZHOU Kun
  • Like 58
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

Very nice indeed. I’ve read about issues with that kit but yours looks superb. 

Pete

This kit does have some problems. As far as a know, one may work on the seat and the wings to make the Hobbyboss Hawk more accurate

The first thing would be the wing  Hobbyboss provided wings with a pair of large wing fence and 3 pairs of small wing fences. But the small ones only appears on certain types of Hawk, rather than those who serve in Royal Air Force. So I removed them.  And there are small stall strips on the leading edges of wing, I used placard to make 2 pairs of them.

5140406agy1fzcro8htl7j20sg0iy0zm.jpg

5140406agy1fzcrtubpb4j20sg0iyael.jpg

the second thing is the size! Hobbyboss one is too large! Here's the comparison between Hobbyboss one and the Italeri one I built a few years ago. You can read the size from the grids on the cutting mat. I could do nothing with this. It is a pity

5140406agy1fzcri7pyvrj20sg0iyqbw.jpg:

The third thing, Hobbyboss provided a vintage type of Martin Baker Ejection seat. As I know, Hawks nowadays use seats with cubic headrests rather than triangular ones

5140406agy1fzcs1wljnmj20m80evac8.jpg

5140406agy1fzcs1w7lq9j20bb0gogn3.jpg

Edited by ZHOU Kun
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Graham T said:

I noticed the seats in your build & thought they didn't look right with that enormous head box, however I Googled & found matching pics.  NEVER seem them before on a Hawk!

The old type of seat did exist on Hawks in 1980s. 

5140406agy1fzdxgkyafqj20m80frq4e.jpg 

5140406agy1fzdxgky0b1j20dw099gmi.jpg

5140406agy1fzdxgky40dj20m80bx3zk.jpg

By the time I realized the type was wrong , I had already glued the seats in place. It would be better find some aftermarket seats or spare seats from other kits.

Regards

I've just finished this kit myself.  Compared to other Hawk kits it seems very bulky, but on its own is ok.   Apart from the seat headbox issue, I notice you've painted the undercarriage bays grey, whereas they should be white. The undercarriage legs are grey, but unusually for a British aircraft, the wells are white.

I must admit, Hobbyboss must have been smoking something when they printed the instructions, as they tell you to fit all the pylons (despite the fact that the RAF don't use the outer ones) and they tell you to open up the wrong holes to fit the diesel tank.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Devilfish said:

I've just finished this kit myself.  Compared to other Hawk kits it seems very bulky, but on its own is ok.   Apart from the seat headbox issue, I notice you've painted the undercarriage bays grey, whereas they should be white. The undercarriage legs are grey, but unusually for a British aircraft, the wells are white.

I must admit, Hobbyboss must have been smoking something when they printed the instructions, as they tell you to fit all the pylons (despite the fact that the RAF don't use the outer ones) and they tell you to open up the wrong holes to fit the diesel tank.

Thanks for the recommendations. I took a look at gear bay photos, yes they were white indeed. One more question: I have been converting a Hobbyboss EMB-312 Tucano into a Short Tucano (https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235049777-148-short-tucano-converted-from-hobbyboss-emb-312/). Are the wheel bays of Short Tucano also white ? Googled for a long time but can not find photos who show wheel bays clearly

Regards

Edited by ZHOU Kun

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, kpc7676 said:

Hopefully not too late here. But what Gunze aqueous paint did you use for the red?? Thanks

More proof that people mainly just look at the pictures of an RFI and don’t read the write up properly.
If I had a pound for every time I have seen something similar in other RFI’s be it about paint/decals/AM etc...

43-CD5-FB0-6-BEA-4-BBE-AC8-C-47-FC59-DC3

Beautifully built models. The detonation cord was what really caught my eye. I don't recall seeing that before and applying those decals couldn't have been easy.

On 1/22/2019 at 3:51 PM, ZHOU Kun said:

Thanks for the recommendations. I took a look at gear bay photos, yes they were white indeed. One more question: I have been converting a Hobbyboss EMB-312 Tucano into a Short Tucano (https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235049777-148-short-tucano-converted-from-hobbyboss-emb-312/). Are the wheel bays of Short Tucano also white ? Googled for a long time but can not find photos who show wheel bays clearly

Regards

I’ve been reading this with interest as I’m currently building a 1/72 Airfix Red Arrows Hawk. Rightly or wrongly, I’ve been using the Revell 1/32 kit instructions (via Scalemates) for colour references, and they also say gray for the wheelwells, but white for the inside of the nose gear doors. 
I must say the Airfix instructions aren’t great when it comes to colours, and the Revell ones need quite a bit of de-coding too. One would have thought such well photographed and viewed aircraft would have been simple to get right, or did they vary over time?

Edit: I’m going to stop using the Revell instructions, as I just found this:

having said that, I’m still a bit confused about the wheel wells being gray, or dirty white!

cheers

Tania

Edited by F1xena