Wayback... When Douglas Went 'Round The World

Back in 1924, I believe, the U.S. Army Air Corps decided to fly around the world as a demonstration of air power. This was NOT non-stop, but went from point-to-point, often laying over for days to weeks at each stop. Nevertheless, it was exciting stuff for that era.  The Army Douglas World Cruisers (there were 4), were modified versions of the Douglas Torpedo Bomber (DT). One of them, named the Seattle, crashed in Alaska, but the other three, named Chicago, Boston, and New Orleans made it all the way 'round.

My model represents the New Orleans. It is a 1/72 scale Williams Bros kit, built strictly Out-Of_The-Box, for entry into a model contest. Only rigging and paint was added. The rigging was done using "invisible" thread,  which is actually like a very thin mono filament thread.  I drilled holes in the wings (top of top wing and bottom of bottom wing were left unpainted), anchored the thread, then pulled it tight through the holes in the top and bottom of the wing. Then I secured them with a drop of CA cement on each. When dry, they were trimmed flush then sanded down smooth, after which the appropriate remaining wing surfaces were painted and decals applied.   Paints were mostly Humbrol, and of course, the kit decals were used.  She finished "Honorable Mention" --- it was a tough competition.

Without further ado, the pictures:

2v2EQGk5yxfzdhW.jpg

2v2EQGkjWxfzdhW.jpg

2v2EQGk8GxfzdhW.jpg

2v2EQGkMnxfzdhW.jpg

2v2EQGkzqxfzdhW.jpg

2v2EQGioFxfzdhW.jpg

2v2EQGi2dxfzdhW.jpg

2v2EQGi3yxfzdhW.jpg

If I were to do it over today, I would only change two things: I would use a better brass paint for the radiator, and I would change the white "4"'s to black ones, as the more readily available internet shows that's what they should have been. But, in the early 80's and with the old OOB rules, here she sits.

Comments, criticisms, and general input are welcomed!

Hope you enjoy this trip in the Wayback Machine.

Ed

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Comments: Fantastic!

Criticism: I don't see any evidence that you have included the control cables on the rudder pedals. 😉

Seriously - a fantastic job. I would be very proud indeed if that were mine.

Elegant representation of this legendary trail blazer!

Those extra little touches, such as offset control surfaces add a lot of life to the model. The prop doesn't match the ones I see in contemporary photos, but I assume that replacement airscrews were available from the support crews, if necessary.

Good work!

Kind regards,

Joachim

37 minutes ago, Vesa Jussila said:

Beautiful model from interesting subject. I have been looking this kit loooong time in local hobby shop. It's still waiting there.

Vessa, it can help with your buying decission that Norway had still in first line in April 1940 few Douglas DT 2, which was just a variant of World Cruiser with radial engine. I made such conversion in last year...(was on BM and is easy to find in my 2017 yearbook) :)

Hello everyone.

Thanks for all the very kind comments!

Yes, it's true that there are some minor detail differences between the kit and today's available reference picture. Please bear in mind that both the kit and the built model are around 40 years old now, and the OOB rules in those days meant no aftermarket ( of course, generally speaking, there WAS NO aftermarket), so you could only use what was in the kit -- period!

Anyway who built this kit today would be able to add the small little details and corrections that we now know about, particularly a nice metallic looking brass radiator. Just one thing -- don't forget to clearcoat the decals before using; they're not getting any younger either...

Ed

• Like 2

22 hours ago, JWM said:

Vessa, it can help with your buying decission that Norway had still in first line in April 1940 few Douglas DT 2, which was just a variant of World Cruiser with radial engine. I made such conversion in last year...(was on BM and is easy to find in my 2017 yearbook) :)

@JWM I think it's good proposal to make this conversion, because packet contains 4 kits. So there is room for conversions.

• Like 1