Any Vulcan B.i kits?

Adam Poultney

Adam

there is a full review of the Lindberg kit here

http://www.modelingmadness.com/review/korean/gb/burstvulcan.htm

I am not too sure what substance the reviewer was under the influence of when he chose the rather arty paint scheme.  

I recall making this when I was at school and I am drawing my pension now so its not exactly state of the art.  There are several available on a well known internet auction site and the scale is stated as 1/100 but thats a rough guess I reckon.

Frog also did an early Vulcan way back in the day (1964) as well as the early Valiant and the early Victor all in a scale of 1/96.  The kits are a bit sought after by collectors thus making the price rather high for what you get in the box but thats nostalgia for you.  In December last year a Vulcan went for £147 plus postage after 17 bids on the said well known auction site

Regarding the Lindberg 1/96 offering - I have  a copy, and it is quite primitive.  The intakes are a bit 'see-through', but I think this can be sorted with a couple of centimetres of tube made from McDonalds milkshake straw, as I have measured them.  Also, it has the straight wing, which featured on the 2 prototypes and (I think) the first 6 production B.1s, all being subsequently refitted with the kinked wing.

Probably best built as one of the prototypes, which were painted allover white - including the nose cone, as it didn't contained radar then.  The tricky part may be making the 'Avro' logo on the tail, but I think it can be created from a mix of letters from spares.

2 hours ago, Hepster said:

Regarding the Lindberg 1/96 offering - I have  a copy, and it is quite primitive.  The intakes are a bit 'see-through', but I think this can be sorted with a couple of centimetres of tube made from McDonalds milkshake straw, as I have measured them.  Also, it has the straight wing, which featured on the 2 prototypes and (I think) the first 6 production B.1s, all being subsequently refitted with the kinked wing.

Probably best built as one of the prototypes, which were painted allover white - including the nose cone, as it didn't contained radar then.  The tricky part may be making the 'Avro' logo on the tail, but I think it can be created from a mix of letters from spares.

The 'Avro' logo is included on the decal sheet, at least it was on both my examples

2 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

The 'Avro' logo is included on the decal sheet, at least it was on both my examples

It is indeed, I have just checked my copy!  I'm afraid I had ignored it after realising my decals were so yellowed and brittle as to be unusable, but I will now try to rescue the logo!  Thanks for pointing it out.

2 hours ago, Hepster said:

It is indeed, I have just checked my copy!  I'm afraid I had ignored it after realising my decals were so yellowed and brittle as to be unusable, but I will now try to rescue the logo!  Thanks for pointing it out.

This is what I did with one of mine:

2cf9aa2a-a248-4dd3-89a4-2c53cb4fa408.jpg

• Like 5