Hawker Hurricane Mk.I 1/72 Arma Hobby

• 3 months later...
On 1/18/2019 at 6:36 PM, Redboost said:

Hi folks,

this is the Arma Hobby kit updated to one of the Finnish machines using SBS Decals.

The kit is rather nice, but the fit leaves a lot to be desired for a modern kit, so lot dry-fitting, scraping, beveling etc. was the order of the day.

Cheers,

Libor

I'm in the process of building the first of mine, and I'm finding the same issues, especially with the cockpit parts. The instrument panel is way too thick to fit into its recess (preventing the fuselage halves from closing), the rear bulkhead needs some hacking to get it to fit into the tubular frames and it looks as if the triangular frame which sits between the two frames will need a fair bit lopping off for it to fit. I think I'll probably add mine from underneath after having glued the two fuselage halves together. I may even scratch a new one. Not that much of it can be seen!

The front part of the radiator housing looked like it was designed for another kit, being way too long.

Oh, and a couple of the parts in the wheel wells needed just over 1mm trimmed off for them to fit, which is a bit weird, as the rest of that area fitted perfectly.

Maybe I was expecting too much, especially having read glowing reports on this very forum. But when some of the parts fit so well, encountering others that really don't is definitely taking the shine off this kit for me.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Thanks 1

Seems I missed this little gem the first time around!

Good to see it returning to the front page.

Sorry to hear about the fit issues.

The result is very attractive, you turned this kit into a beautiful model!

Excellent paintjob, as usual.

Best greetings from Vienna!

Roman

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

I'm in the process of building the first of mine, and I'm finding the same issues, especially with the cockpit parts. The instrument panel is way too thick to fit into its recess (preventing the fuselage halves from closing), the rear bulkhead needs some hacking to get it to fit into the tubular frames and it looks as if the triangular frame which sits between the two frames will need a fair bit lopping off for it to fit. I think I'll probably add mine from underneath after having glued the two fuselage halves together. I may even scratch a new one. Not that much of it can be seen!

The front part of the radiator housing looked like it was designed for another kit, being way too long.

Oh, and a couple of the parts in the wheel wells needed just over 1mm trimmed off for them to fit, which is a bit weird, as the rest of that area fitted perfectly.

Maybe I was expecting too much, especially having read glowing reports on this very forum. But when some of the parts fit so well, encountering others that really don't is definitely taking the shine off this kit for me.

Cheers,

Mark.

I had the problem with the triangular frame being slightly too long and it ended up bowed in the middle (not that you can see it) but did not encounter any of the other problems you had in getting the basic airframe assembled. The wheel well parts on my kit all went together very well; I didn't have to modify them at all.

That said, it's not a shake-and-bake kit and it takes more care to build than even the Airfix Mk.I Hurricane (fabric wing) which I am building alongside the Arma Hobby kit. The Arma kit certainly looks the part when you get the airframe assembled.

• Thanks 1