New Member - Nottingham UK

jasonbirder

New member from the East Midlands...haven't made a model for what I reckon to be 36 years!!! When I used to make a kit in a day and not bother painting it!!!

Have been promising I'd make a model for ages...and was bought the Airfix 1/72 Scale Vulcan as a Christmas Present...

What a can of worms that looks to be...

Not only have I had to acquire all the Glues, Fillers, Paints, Tools, Airbrush etc etc a modeller needs from Scratch to start it...

BUT, it also turns out it looks like possibly the WORST model for a raw beginner LOL...plenty of filing filling and scribing before its ready to go...

Looking forward to the challenge though I might have to run an "easier" project alongside it to reduce the frustration factor LOL! Looking forward to returning to the hobby and seeing my skills improve!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/New6DnM3z8Kzq6mA7

Edited by jasonbirder
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, jasonbirder said:

haven't made a model for what I reckon to be 36 years!!! When I used to make a kit in a day and not bother painting it!!!

You are me, and I claim my five pounds!

Welcome to BM Jason, from just down the road(ish). From what I've heard about the Airfix Vulcan, it's going to a bit of a steep learning curve. There are two possible ways forward, either do some simpler kits first; or just jump in and have a play. If you just want to enjoy yourself and aren't fussed with the end result, then just wade in and torture some Vulcany plastic.

Don't think it has to be perfect to show here – all levels are welcome. Any questions, just ask.

Gorby

• Like 1

Welcome from Western Canada. I, too, am doing my first kit in many years. There are a few that I have started in the last 30 years, but none have I finished. My Hurricane is close to done. It just needs painting. When I figure that bit out, we'll see.

Chris

Welcome to the forum. Nottingham is my home town, although I left it to go to university in 1972 and never really went back, although I still visit occasionally to see what little family left in the area. The Vulcan does not seem to have weathered well, if it doesn't work out well you can put it down to experience and the next on will be better. 

Hello Jason ... :welcome: to Britmodeller from Chicago USA. Im going to agree with Gorby and Mr T. If you are concerned about the Vulcan start on something a bit easier ? If not then tear into the Vulcan ? If you have any questions feel free to ask ? 

Dennis

Hi & welcome.  I built the Vulcan years ago (early 80s?) - looked like a vulcan, enjoyed it, didn’t know any better & learned some things building it.  Go for it just don’t try to get things perfect first time.  If you want a perfect Vulcan buy a bunch of cheap  kits build up your skills on them.  We all did it.  Just keep trying to enjoy it