Acrylic Concrete Texture for Dioramas (A.MIG-2108)

Mike

Acrylic Concrete Texture for Dioramas (A.MIG-2108)

AMMO by Mig Jiménez

boxtop.jpg

AMMO have a growing range of acrylic pastes for dioramas, some of which we've reviewed already, such as the excellent tarmac and beach sand we reviewed last year here.  I tested the tarmac before I dispatched it, and it was awesome.  This new one is concrete, and comes in the same 250ml tub as the others, with a screw-down lid and tub shape that makes it unlikely to tip over. 

a.mig-2108.jpg

Inside is a goopy paste in a cement grey colour, which has texture particles suspended within its matrix to quickly give the correct finish.  I tested a patch by scooping an amount out with an artist's palette knife onto some styrene card that had been roughened beforehand to improve adhesion.  It is quite wet to use, but once shaped it doesn't slump noticeably, so you can add texture to your initial layer for quite some time.  I added an anti-slip tamp marking to part of my test patch with the edge of my knife, just to see how well it would hold it, and it has held its shape very well.  Please bear in mind however that I'm hardly an expert diorama maker, and this is merely a quick test.  The colour will change when the paste is dry, and lighten somewhat so you may want to adjust that with paint, washes or pigments, as concrete seldom stays just one colour after laying.  If you are depicting new concrete however, you could quite easily leave it as-is because the colour is pretty much spot on.  The dry paste is also very flexible, allowing me to flex the card so that the ends were parallel without any cracking or lifting of the concrete.

Conclusion

This is an excellent range of quick helpers to create dioramas for anyone from the novice to the expert, and they are easy to use, water-based acrylic so no noxious fumes, and it even smells pleasant and somewhat familiar. 

Very highly recommended.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of

logo.png