Penguin training- Norwegian F-16B

Whoa if I'm honest I didn't expect this reaction for a grey F-16! Thank you all for your nice comments, I'm glad you guys like it! :) 

To answer some of the questions:

The kit is the Tamiya 1/72 F-16C converted to an F-16B using donor parts from the Revell 1/72 F-16B kit. I didn't plan on doing it this rather long winded way but I made an irreversible balls up on the Revell B kit during construction, then couldn't find another kit since it is long OOP and therefore decided to have a bash at converting the nice Tamiya kit using salvaged Revell B parts. Due to the amount of modification needed (pretty much every part of the Tamiya kit needs some sort of modification) I don't think I'd attempt it again in this scale but for sure I'm happy with the final result. If the the old modelling saying rings true maybe we will see Tamiya release an F-16B/D soon? 

The base was a very spontaneous thing (it only took a few hours) to give the model a bit more life on the shelf after seeing some snowy pictures of F-16s operating at Bodø Airbase, simply baking soda fixed with hairspray over a painted apron made from card. From what I've read here on BM this isn't a great idea because baking soda isn't overly durable but it is ok for now as I'd like to build a larger, more permeant base using Precision snow when I find the time to display larger 1/48 and 1/32 models also. I have plenty more model plans that could use a snowy base in the future, Gripens, Viggens, more F-16s, F/A-18s etc....

Thank you all again, cheers,

David. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, mirageiv said:

Whoa if I'm honest I didn't expect this reaction for a grey F-16! Thank you all for your nice comments, I'm glad you guys like it! :) 

To answer some of the questions:

The kit is the Tamiya 1/72 F-16C converted to an F-16B using donor parts from the Revell 1/72 F-16B kit. I didn't plan on doing it this rather long winded way but I made an irreversible balls up on the Revell B kit during construction, then couldn't find another kit since it is long OOP and therefore decided to have a bash at converting the nice Tamiya kit using salvaged Revell B parts. Due to the amount of modification needed (pretty much every part of the Tamiya kit needs some sort of modification) I don't think I'd attempt it again in this scale but for sure I'm happy with the final result. If the the old modelling saying rings true maybe we will see Tamiya release an F-16B/D soon? 

The base was a very spontaneous thing (it only took a few hours) to give the model a bit more life on the shelf after seeing some snowy pictures of F-16s operating at Bodø Airbase, simply baking soda fixed with hairspray over a painted apron made from card. From what I've read here on BM this isn't a great idea because baking soda isn't overly durable but it is ok for now as I'd like to build a larger, more permeant base using Precision snow when I find the time to display larger 1/48 and 1/32 models also. I have plenty more model plans that could use a snowy base in the future, Gripens, Viggens, more F-16s, F/A-18s etc....

Thank you all again, cheers,

David. 

And a fine 1/72 build it is!

Martin

• Like 1