CA-27 Avon Sabre Mk.30

More progress.

20190208-191813-1.jpg

Re-enforcement strips added to slat/ wing join. Position for wing pylons moved inboard to correct position.

20190208-191856-1.jpg

Tail sections joined to fuselage...eventually. The fuselage wall thickness at the join needed to be reduced somewhat before the tail could fit. Location tabs added along fuselage.

20190208-192025-1.jpg

One job to be done to each fuselage half are the gun ports. The Tasman halves are fitted with modified gun ports and these weren't fitted when initially built, so they need to change from this...

20190208-192431-1.jpg

...to this. :hmmm:

20190208-192624-1.jpg

All the bits to make the 'pit'. This needs to be built as I have a 'feeling in my water' that much plastic will need to be removed from inside the fuselage before the tub will fit.

Isn't this fun.

Stuart

• Like 6

After a short break away to Prague, I thought I'd have a little time in the cave. My attention firstly turned to cockpit which was built before the trip and now dry, it was time to try and 'shoehorn' it into the fuselage. Must plastic was whittled away from the fuselage innards and the cockpit edges but more of that later. Time for the cannon port.

20190215-140553-1.jpg

My way of attacking the gun port was cutting an angle across some suitable plastic tubing that had an internal diameter to match the port on the fuselage, this gave me an elliptical port that I was after. It was then cut to a length, about 8mm.

20190215-140351-1.jpg

The incorrect port was removed form the fuselage and an 8mm slot was cut into it to accept the new port.

20190215-140249-1.jpg

Here is the new gun port fitted into the fuselage and although a little filling, sanding is required to the front and more security needed internally, it seems to have worked well. This was duplicated on the other fuselage half. Until next time.

Stuart

• Like 6

I should've been out in the garden building a greenhouse today but some how I seem to have spent the time in and out of the cave.

20190216-175731-1.jpg

Thought I'd better get the cockpit bits done. The seat was the main target and needed some attention with some detail; arm rests moved aft to correct position, yellow ejection handles added, back and bottom cushions added and belts added using Tamiya tape.

After talking to a number of people, I have made the executive decision to paint the cockpit parts black. This may seem controversial for some but contemporary aircraft in the RAAF like Vampires, Canberras and Mirages had black cockpits...as did the early Sabres. 

20190216-180104-1.jpg

20190216-180139-1.jpg

With the cockpit done, it's time to make it fit into the fuselage...not forgetting to add the nose weight.

Stuart

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd better put something up here.

20190220-192439-1.jpg

Lots of plastic was removed from the inner surfaces before the tub would eventually fit into the fuselage half. The front end was also loaded up with hopefully enough lead to keep the nose down. So far, so good.

20190227-182905-1.jpg

Fuselage halves joined. The rear shelf was removed from both the tub and the fuselage halves as they just didn't work, will scratch one later.

20190227-182853-1.jpg

Starboard tail section fitted.

20190227-182937-1.jpg

Port tail section, The tail/ fuselage join needed some tlc in the form of filling and sanding. Still to be done here is the cutting out of the slots for the air brake arms.

20190227-183046-1.jpg

Front underside needing a bit of tlc on the join and the occasional divot needs attention.

20190227-183053-1.jpg

Aft underside after a bit of filling and sanding.

Things to be done before the lower wings go on:

Rear shelf to be added.

Gun sight to go on.

Air brake slots to be 'dug' out.

Prime, check, re-scribe if necessary.

Other bits I notice.

Stuart

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Slow progress but progress none the less.

20190306-171628-1.jpg

Lower wing on, not too bad at all. Will need to add a plastic shim in the wheel wells by the looks of it.

20190310-084649-1.jpg

20190310-084701-1.jpg

Top wings on and now showing the filler applied along the wing conversion.

20190310-084830-1.jpg

And while the filler dries, added some rod along the forward edge of the flaps.

20190310-090940-1.jpg

And while the flaps dry, I added some brakes lines to the main undercarriage. I have never bothered doing this in this scale, maybe I should (if I remember).

Stuart

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Sabre 4.

An early one Terry, a pre 6-3, you know you want to :wicked:.

Back from a AeroJumble, no kits but nice load of reference books.

20190310-144657-1.jpg

20190310-144926-1.jpg

One thing that takes some work when you do this backdating of the wings is the forward wing roots. As can be seen, their is a step that shouldn't be there and as far as I can tell, this step is that little fairing that needs to be removed before opening the ammo doors.

20190310-144746-1.jpg

20190310-144939-1.jpg

So, off with fairing and we end up with this.

Next step will be the other forward wing root, then a little PPP in the wing roots, a tidy up in one of the wheel wells and we should be ready to prime to discover errors, carry out corrective action which I should imagine more filling and sanding and priming before fixing the panel lines.

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
  • Like 5

On 3/10/2019 at 3:07 PM, Courageous said:

An early one Terry, a pre 6-3, you know you want to :wicked:.

I know, I know ................ 😂

I've just re-read some of what you are doing here Stuart and am very impressed at the slat work. 

Terry

• Thanks 1

On 3/15/2019 at 11:56 AM, Terry1954 said:

very impressed at the slat work. 

On 3/15/2019 at 2:27 PM, RidgeRunner said:

Nice work, Stuart!

Cheers Terry and Martin.

I seem to be dragging my heals on this build for some reason so I better change that if I want this done for the next club meet.

20190317-091553-1.jpg

Priming all but done.

Besides the obvious painting to be done, I need to fix the front wheel as this should be a six-spoke version. and completely different to the kit part. What ever way I do it, I need to future proof it for the next four Avons. Also need to sort out the decals, stencils will come form the kit and the rest will have to come from elsewhere and also DIY.

Stuart 

• Like 3

That is very smart work, Stuart. I'm looking forward to seeing how this one works out. I love your work on the flaps etc. You are more detailed that me. I suffer from impatience and just cant get my head round all that great detail stuff ;).

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

That is very smart work

Thanks Martin. I'm not really a 'detail' type person, I do enough to capture the main features of something, so in this case, it has to be the fuselage and the wings. The other things are 'niceties'; flaps down, air brakes open, front wheel, etc.

Stuart

As I'm now entering the painting stage, I'm now looking towards my next non-Sabre jet build and would like you guys to help in the choosing. They will be RAF or FAA in 1/72, so in no particular order, here are your choices:

• Jaguar (Hasegawa)
  • Meteor F.1 (CyberHobby)
  • Javelin (Airfix)
  • Hunter Mk.6 (Revell)
  • Tornado F.3 ADV (Revell)

Stuart

8 hours ago, Courageous said:

As I'm now entering the painting stage, I'm now looking towards my next non-Sabre jet build and would like you guys to help in the choosing. They will be RAF or FAA in 1/72, so in no particular order, here are your choices:

• Jaguar (Hasegawa)
  • Javelin (Airfix)
  • Hunter Mk.6 (Revell)

Stuart

Some good ones to choose from there, but how about the Hunter, slightly modified to make a Royal Navy GA11, or PR11? 

Terry

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Courageous said:

• Jaguar (Hasegawa)
  • Javelin (Airfix)
  • Hunter Mk.6 (Revell)

Stuart

I'd go with a nice Ecuadorian Jag, Stuart, or maybe an exotic Hunter :). Lebanese?

Martin

• Like 1

Big step forward...

20190321-190008-1.jpg

All painted in Tamiya AS12, 'Kleared' and ready for decals. Canopy has been de-masked, cleaned, dipped and now drying. The 'doctored' front wheel is in the primed state.

Well the votes are flying in...

Jaguar (Hasegawa).....1

Meteor F.1 (CyberHobby)

Javelin (Airfix)

Hunter Mk.6 (Revell).....2

Tornado F.3 ADV (Revell)

Stuart

• Like 6

A lazy evening with the 'better half', TV, laptop and a Jameson's... or two.

On 3/21/2019 at 7:53 PM, Terry1954 said:

Nice finish there Stuart.

4 hours ago, 72modeler said:

She's lookin' good,

57 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

It's looking great! Nice job on the tail surgery and cannon ports too.

Cheers Terry, Mike & Adrian,

5 hours ago, azureglo said:

shove it on a perspex pole?

I'm sorry Anil but perspex poles are temporarily used for club display purposes before going on the ceiling.

Hunter Mk.6 (Revell).....2

Javelin (Airfix)...2

Jaguar (Hasegawa).....1

Meteor F.1 (CyberHobby)

Tornado F.3 ADV (Revell)

Stuart

• Like 1