CA-27 Avon Sabre Mk.30

After building a number of Sabres, I thought it was about time I built myself an Avon Sabre. 

The Avon Sabre was based on the then current F-86F with the slatted wing but was fitted with the more powerful Rolls Royce powerplant and this required an extension change to the fuselage.

20190117-214404-1.jpg

This book came in handy for this and future builds.

20190117-201426-1.jpg

So to kick things off, I'll be using the Tasman Conversion set alongside the Academy F-86E Kit. I have been told that the Tasman conversion isn't the best route to go but as I have a number of them, I'll be using them. 

20190117-201853-1.jpg

Tasman's fuselage halves and intake. Look at those sprue gates, I'll need to take my time and be careful or I'll be making work for myself.

20190117-201921-1.jpg

...and Academy's fuselage sprue...not much difference eh. You may be wondering why I'm showing you this sprue if it isn't used. Well, Aussie Sabres are normally parked with the brakes open and as the Tasman's offering is molded closed, the plan is to swap the tail sections :pray:.

20190117-201946-1.jpg

Academy's wing sprue. Work to be on these will be to backdate the wing to pre 6-3 conversion and to remove the flaps as again, these were often deployed when on ground.

20190117-202418-1.jpg

Main sprue with everything else.

20190117-202550-1.jpg

Canopies. The Tasman kit comes with a Vac canopy and although it is lovely and clear, it's closed and I like my aircraft canopies open...unless they're hanging from the ceiling. The middle canopy is Hobbycraft and the top is Academy... we'll see.

Decals will be sorted later, hopefully.

So, that's it for now and I'll start proper when the Vampire is finished.

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

l recognized the molding of the E Sabre. I think it is not Hasegawa but an old Hobbycraft kit being molded by Academy. l could be wrong but l had that kit as at the time was l think the only one in 1/72 scale with slates

hacker 

8 hours ago, hacker said:

l recognized the molding of the E Sabre. I think it is not Hasegawa but an old Hobbycraft kit being molded by Academy. l could be wrong but l had that kit as at the time was l think the only one in 1/72 scale with slates

You are correct Hacker, it is the Academy kit...it says so on the box, doh! :doh:

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Might tag along on this build, i like my sabres. :popcorn:

Never enough Sabres.

Stuart

• Like 2

Nice choice Stuart but check your references closely. I think production Avon Sabres had the non slated 6/3 wing. Not sure I understand your comment re pre 6/3 wing but you are right to remove the slats. A good source of reference here http://web.archive.org/web/20120929230942/http://f-86.tripod.com/wings.html

Also found this picture on the net which explains more.........

F-86 Wing10

Hope this helps.

Terry

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 17/01/2019 at 23:41, Courageous said:

Look at those sprue gates

...they look a bit ...chunky!!!|

On 17/01/2019 at 23:41, Courageous said:

as I have a number of them

...were they a present by your worst enemy???

...well...good luck!!! It'll turn out to be intersting!

I'm in!!!

On 1/24/2019 at 4:51 PM, Terry1954 said:

I think production Avon Sabres had the non slated 6/3 wing.

Welcome aboard Terry. Pre 6-3 is a slatted wing which the Mk30 started with. These were later modified by ridding the slats thus making it a hard wing with fences, this is the 6-3 wing and changed the Avon to a Mk.31.

On 1/24/2019 at 7:43 PM, DennisTheBear said:

I think I'll tag along (time permitting) as I have one of the conversion sets too (not the one your using).

Welcome aboard Dennis.

On 1/24/2019 at 7:59 PM, Massimo said:

...well...good luck!!! It'll turn out to be intersting!

I'm in!!!

Welcome aboard Massimo. Chunky gates indeed, care will be taken. Sorry to disappoint you Masimo but I bought them myself. Only time will tell how good/ bad they're but we're meant to be modelers after all. :nodding:

On 1/24/2019 at 8:44 PM, Johnv said:

Always wondered about Avon Sabres. I have built NA and Canadair but was

always curious about these. Will be watching.---John

Welcome John. I thought it was about time I built an Avon and their will be some things to try, dropped flaps, open air brakes...

Shouldn't be too long before I start on this, just got to finish some current stuff.

Stuart

• Like 1

Sorry Stuart, I just saw this. An excellent project. I love the more brutish look of the CAC Sabres, as I do the H-model too (wishing there was a decent and accurate kit ;) ). Good luck! The sprue you showed looks pretty much as my one did.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

Hello Stuart,

I'll follow if you Don't mind

Great idea, this resin kit look good.

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 5:51 PM, Terry1954 said:

Nice choice Stuart but check your references closely. I think production Avon Sabres had the non slated 6/3 wing. Not sure I understand your comment re pre 6/3 wing but you are right to remove the slats. A good source of reference here http://web.archive.org/web/20120929230942/http://f-86.tripod.com/wings.html

Also found this picture on the net which explains more.........

F-86 Wing10

Hope this helps.

Terry

Thanks Terry, I'll save it ! Simple and straight !!

Sincerely.

CC

11 hours ago, Courageous said:

Pre 6-3 is a slatted wing which the Mk30 started with. These were later modified by ridding the slats thus making it a hard wing with fences, this is the 6-3 wing and changed the Avon to a Mk.31.

Ah yes, the earlier ones did start with the pre 6-3. So are you doing an early Avon?

Mine was later type. That Tasman conversion is a good start, but much buthery was required on mine as I used a very early Hasegawa as a starting point!:

20180502_171834

Terry

• Like 7

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

An excellent project.

Welcome aboard Martin. I have a brutish 'H' in the stash, one day.

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

I'll follow if you Don't mind

Take a pew CC.

16 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Ah yes, the earlier ones did start with the pre 6-3. So are you doing an early Avon?

Yes an early version, a Mk.30, the 6-3 wing made it a Mk.31. I have never been phased by a bad kit, have never put a build in the bin and don't have a 'doom' shelf, I just get on with it the best I can. That link has been on my laptop for some time, very useful and I'm also on the Aussie Modeller International forum to get their help.

Stuart

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

With the Vampire now finished, thought it was about time I got going on this baby.

20190206-171502-1.jpg

A good a place to start than any. Slats and flaps marked out prior to cutting.

20190206-181742-1.jpgPa

Parts removed from wing parts (sorry for blurriness)

20190206-190515-1.jpg

My starting position with this technique, is to mark a 2mm on the inboard end of the slats, so creating a fine wedge. Lower slats marked up for plastic removal.

20190206-190210-1.jpg

Look at the state of that tail, another good reason for 'losing' the tail section and replacing it with Academy parts, just have to make sure of the best cutting position.

20190206-190303-1.jpg

...and look at those sprue gates.

Stuart

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Hmmmm..... Some of the reasons why I opted to blend the lower jaw of the intake from my Tasman in to  the nicely moulded Fujimi ;). See my posting for a photo of where I made the surgery.....

Martin

• Like 1

Good start Stuart. This thread is giving me nightmares as it reminds me of the butchery that took place on both the Tasman fuselage and the donor Hasegawa kit!

Keep at it!

Terry

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

Good start Stuart. This thread is giving me nightmares as it reminds me of the butchery that took place on both the Tasman fuselage and the donor Hasegawa kit!

Don't sleep...no nightmares...more modelling. :wink:

Stuart

• Haha 2

Where was we, oh yeah, wings.

20190207-183006-1.jpg

After removing the fillet of plastic on the long mating face, it was time for a trial fit to the wing. At this stage, I also remembered that approx 1mm needed to be removed from the inboard short edge. With that done, the lower slats were cemented to the lower wing and left to dry before reinforcing the joints.

20190207-183254-1.jpg

We now enter the world of the unknown, for me anyway, Time to think about removing the Tasman tail section and the line was drawn just forward of the speed brake doors. The same line was drawn on the Academy tail section as it will be replacing the Tasman bit.

20190207-184023-1.jpg

Out with saw and off with the tails.

20190207-200325-1.jpg

The tail sections were then sanded back to the air brake boxes. The fuselage ends were also sanded back to achieve a best fit with the tails and to maintain scale length of aircraft. The fuselage having no location pins will now have to be treated like vacforms and plastic tags added along the joins. Sp far so good.

Stuart

• Like 5

Good going Stuart,

Your idea of the tail substitution looks to be an excellent one. I was concerned that there'd be a mismatch in height between the two fuselages, but it seems to be negligible or non-existent. Well done!

Andrew.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Your idea of the tail substitution looks to be an excellent one. I was concerned that there'd be a mismatch in height between the two fuselages, but it seems to be negligible or non-existent. Well done!

Cheers Andrew. As for a mismatch, we'll see when I mate the tail with the fuselage. Shouldn't be too difficult to get rid of if their is a mismatch.

Cheers @RidgeRunner.

Stuart

You are welcome, Stuart. The Fujimi, like the Academy/Hobbycraft, offers at least some refinement over the Tasman offering. The panel lines are nicely done, for example. My attempt was to preserve as much of that as possible by incorporating as little of the Tasman as I could. It isn't too bad, actually. Good luck with yours :)

Martin

• Like 1