Aer Lingus

Britman

Agreed I could knock up that 'design' in five minutes. Actually I'd get my ten year old to do it. 

Hardly original and completely out of character with the traditions of one of the oldest airlines in the world. 

Is that blue on the tail? 

I've texted my brother who works for Lingus. I await his acidic impression with interest.

Edit: apparently the colour is 'teal'. :swear:

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1

It always makes me laugh when the airline, proud as a new dad, discuss how the "image consultants" looked at the history of the country, the cultural influences and that indefinable quality that has helped shape the airline over its 'whatever' number of years of service and then draw back the curtain to reveal a dull bland scheme, same as any other airline!!

Really? Every country, airline and culture is the same?

Another totally mind numbingly dull update.

Jeff

• Like 3

Not very nice and cartoon like Shamrock . The Blue is not the first time they've had it in the scheme . Look back at the 70s colours .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POSTCARD-AIR-AER-LINGUS-BOEING-737-248C-JET/362534477027?hash=item5468bd1ce3:g:-0EAAOSwxwRauQT1:rk:1:pf:0

Not mine ,not selling nuffink

• Like 1

Leaves Ryanair as the state airline. The golden harp over St Patrick's blue. Aer Lingus just A N other airline in the IAG group with a drunken shamrock.

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1

If you had been asked to devise a new livery for Aer Lingus , you would have said paint the tail green and stick a shamrock on it. So it’s hardly inspiring. I hope IAG didn’t pay someone a fortune for this!  But just as in the 60s we had cheat lines, now it seems we are in the age of white fuselage and full tail colouring. I feel it’s a bit of a shame as Aer Lingus was quite distinctive and I didn’t think the green upper fuselage was dated.  I think it had to have a shamrock on the tail regardless but maybe a series of swoops on the fuselage ?  This is just drab and ordinary I’m afraid

Edited by Rb277170

On 18/01/2019 at 17:03, Rb277170 said:

If you had been asked to devise a new livery for Aer Lingus , you would have said paint the tail green and stick a shamrock on it. So it’s hardly inspiring. I hope IAG didn’t pay someone a fortune for this!  But just as in the 60s we had cheat lines, now it seems we are in the age of white fuselage and full tail colouring. I feel it’s a bit of a shame as Aer Lingus was quite distinctive and I didn’t think the green upper fuselage was dated.  I think it had to have a shamrock on the tail regardless but maybe a series of swoops on the fuselage ?  This is just drab and ordinary I’m afraid

Your not going to get away from the white ablative finish on airliner fuselages as it reduces heat transfer and as a consequence fuel consumption.

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

I'm very confused... is the tail in blue or green ? The article says the engines are green but look blue in the picture. The drawing on their website seems to show green...

Now if the tail and engines are in the old green I'd be happy enough. The upper green fuselage was doomed to go anyway, so even just retaining green on the tail would have been a sensible choice, the new scheme isn't too bad if the tail is green

The colour of the paint won't affect fuel consumption, the cleanliness and smoothness of the surface will.

One of the things I'm always bemused at is how image/ design consultant agencies can charge so much for producing something like this. Half an hour and a quick flick through a colour paint chip catalogue could have produced this. 

In time, it'll grow on me.

Jeff

• Like 1

I have to admit that I also like it and I'm sure nobody forced Aer Lingus to choose it right? ;)

They give the reference as PMS 3155 for the darker shade which is a teal blue/green, the Shamrock as yellow green PMS376 highlighted with green PMS7738C.

Cheers

Ray

• Like 1

On 18/01/2019 at 20:03, pinky coffeeboat said:

The colour of the paint won't affect fuel consumption, the cleanliness and smoothness of the surface will.

Jeff

It absolutely will, as all the A/C comes from the second stage compression from the engines. Don't forget it not just the cabin that needs A/C in a modern airliner.

Turn the A/C off in your car week and see how more MpG you get, you'll be surprised. Vapour compression cycles are very thirsty beasts.

Tommo.

• Like 1

I don’t mind it, but as others have said, it’s a tad uninspiring 

i was in FRA this week and the new Lufty scheme looks sharp, as does my employers ‘new’ scheme, Air Canada

But they are all very corporate. I sill like China Southern, it’s quite retro

SD

The new Aer Lingus scheme isn't awful, just a bit bland and disappointing.  That said, I wasn't greatly taken with the new Lufthansa scheme until I saw it close up on an A321 neo and realised that it's actually rather attractive and, as Swamp Donkey says, sharp. It's interesting that the low cost airlines seem to be sticking to the more colourful schemes (Ryanair, Easyjet, Wizz, Norwegian, Vueling, WOW etc) while so many "legacy" carriers are going white and boring.  No idea what (if anything) it proves but I hope the LCCs continue to offer us some variety.

I like it, the previous livery was 25 years old and looking it. Don't forget that such things aren't just a launch of a clour scheme but also a relaunching of the brand with new uniforms, service, product etc. It's far more succesful to do all that with a refresh of the livery too.

People rarely choose their airline because of the colour scheme, but because of a mixture of things, including the brand, the miles, the service, the product etc.

To suggest that just because a few spotters don't like it means the brand consultants don't know what they are doing is somewhat disingenuous and missing the point. It's not done for them, but for the multi €M corporate accounts and the wider travelling public. That will be the test of its success.

Edited by Agent K

All very well , but I take issue with the suggestion that "a few spotters" are displeased with the efforts of image consultants . It is bland and shows no imagination and cannot grab the attention of the average passenger amongst all the other white tubes moving around the airport they happen to be at. As an aside but relevant comment , today I heard a turboprop flying over head around eight to ten thousand feet. Having spotted the source of the noise I immediately identified it as a Flybe Dash 8. How do you think I deduced that?

Keith.