Hasegawa 1/48 USAF F-104 Starfighter

IMG_7647_zpshl4cna2v.jpgIMG_7646_zpsktifzvhz.jpgIMG_7645_zpsumlrqowz.jpgIMG_7644_zps68mabsqw.jpgIMG_7643_zpsrqovuzhu.jpgIMG_7642_zpsplbe9cud.jpgIMG_7641_zpsn7rphmr6.jpgIMG_7640_zpswopolf4q.jpgIMG_7639_zpsvkiodc4e.jpgIMG_7637_zpscy4upfb1.jpgIMG_7636_zpslbeqegpd.jpgIMG_7635_zpshugjhz3y.jpgIMG_7634_zpsxcpq5b2q.jpgHello,

This is my Hasegawa F-104. Nice kit to build OOB, although some of the decals were not that nice. I used Gunze Mr. Metal Color Aluminum and I was not pleased. I mean, the color is beautiful but it kept releasing pigments like forever and, at least for me, it is too fragile. Of course, the real problem could have been holding the AB,  but  I'll try something else next time, like AK polished aluminum. It's friendlier  than Alclad, they say....

Cheers!

Edited by George72
  • Like 32

Very nice looking Straighter. The finish looks really good but, as you said, the Gunze Mr Metal Colour paints are very fragile. They are in fact buffable and can give some spectacular results by dry brushing - problem is finishing the job. Masking is virtually impossible and the only way to preserve the finish is to cover with a varnish which can ruin some of the effect. I have always got on quite well with Alclad which I find fairly forgiving. The AK Extreme Metal sprays are also excellent and both are quite tough with the exception of the Alclad super shiny coatings such as polished aluminium and airframe aluminium. As you will know - preparation is the key.

Cheers

Malcolm

3 hours ago, Baldy said:

Very nice looking Straighter. The finish looks really good but, as you said, the Gunze Mr Metal Colour paints are very fragile. They are in fact buffable and can give some spectacular results by dry brushing - problem is finishing the job. Masking is virtually impossible and the only way to preserve the finish is to cover with a varnish which can ruin some of the effect. I have always got on quite well with Alclad which I find fairly forgiving. The AK Extreme Metal sprays are also excellent and both are quite tough with the exception of the Alclad super shiny coatings such as polished aluminium and airframe aluminium. As you will know - preparation is the key.

Cheers

Malcolm

That's right. I've tried to buff it, but it ended up not very uniform and peeled off in some spots. Masking was a painful process, really. As I said, I'll try something else next time. Thanks!!

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Great looking Starfighter :thumbsup: sir

Thank you!!

3 hours ago, Baldy said:

Cheers

Malcolm

3 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Looks absolutely stunning mate. 

Thank you!!