Qantas Boeing 767-200 - Hasegawa 1/200

The original kit is the old Hasegawa 1/200 American Airlines 767-200 kit from the 1990's. Bought for £8 from my local model shop in West Drayton (Aviation Hobbies) a few months ago, I have saved this in time for my Farnborough IPMS club's February Antipodean competition next month.

Appropriately, I purchased the intended Qantas decals from Australia which only took 2 weeks to arrive by post - and they are the genuine down-under "ROO-DECAL" product! I think the seller must have been having a clear out as I received 3 sets of decals for the price of the advertised single set.

Started last night in-between floating the last of the decals onto my last 777 on the bench, the kit has immediately gone together with all the ease and great engineering that Japanese kit manufacturers are well known for.

DSCF8290

DSCF8291

DSCF8292

DSCF8295

Up against a 777-300 in the same 1/200 scale, the 767-200 looks rather inferior

DSCF8294

Thanks for looking in

John

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

A week or so's progress - this has turned out to be a good fun kit to build in a set of Australian Roodecals Qantas decals. I made the Hasegawa 767-200 when it was first released on the market - its benefits from having no windows and relies on the use of decals which has made the build a lot faster and easier.

DSCF8369

DSCF8372

DSCF8373

DSCF8374

DSCF8376

DSCF8370

DSCF8380

And now to the main Livery and fuselage details

DSCF8381

DSCF8382

DSCF8384

DSCF8385

She's 99% done- just a few tweaks and the APU outlet needs painting. It should be over on the RFI pages soon

John

• Like 5

Very nice John, I must build a QANTAS 767 one day :thumbsup:

The reason you got 3 sheets is that those decals are quite old (printed in the late 90s as I recall) these days and subject to falling apart when trying to apply them. You most likely got them from the people who inherited' what was left of the manfacturers last batches.

I have a few of there sheets and hope they perform like yours when the time comes to use them.

Very nice.  Yes understand the comment about Roo Decals age.  

Just one Question though : are the Engines the same in the various Hasegawa 1:200 boxings of the 767-200?  

13 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Very nice John, I must build a QANTAS 767 one day :thumbsup:

The reason you got 3 sheets is that those decals are quite old (printed in the late 90s as I recall) these days and subject to falling apart when trying to apply them. You most likely got them from the people who inherited' what was left of the manfacturers last batches.

I have a few of there sheets and hope they perform like yours when the time comes to use them.

Cheers R A Y

I lacquered them to be on the safe side! If your 3 sheets let you down, I'll let you have the remnants of mine - I did need to cannibalise bits of them but none of the main red logo panels which were more likely to have failed me.

John 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rob S said:

Very nice.  Yes understand the comment about Roo Decals age.  

Just one Question though : are the Engines the same in the various Hasegawa 1:200 boxings of the 767-200?  

Hi Rob

Yep - straight out the kits box (AA kit version) - I have some Contrails 767 Rolls Royce resin engines but they were not applicable for this build.

12 hours ago, Gimme Shelter said:

Hi Rob

Yep - straight out the kits box (AA kit version) - I have some Contrails 767 Rolls Royce resin engines but they were not applicable for this build.

Thanks but what I meant was did the Hasegawa kits have different Engine parts/sprues for the Pratt powered -200s boxings and the GE powered -200s boxings or did they just use a the same Engine parts/sprue to represent both?  As I thought the AA -200s had GEs whereas I know the QF -200s had Pratts.  

Yes I did know as above that the QF-200s had Pratts and also that the -300s originals had GEs and ex-BA -300s had Rollers.  Funnily enough I managed to fly in all three different QF types in one day once after my first Ansett flight for the day went down and I was transferred across to Qantas for the four trips that day.  

Edited by Rob S

11 hours ago, Rob S said:

Thanks but what I meant was did the Hasegawa kits have different Engine parts/sprues for the Pratt powered -200s boxings and the GE powered -200s boxings or did they just use a the same Engine parts/sprue to represent both?  As I thought the AA -200s had GEs whereas I know the QF -200s had Pratts.  

Yes I did know as above that the QF-200s had Pratts and also that the -300s originals had GEs and ex-BA -300s had Rollers.  Funnily enough I managed to fly in all three different QF types in one day once after my first Ansett flight for the day went down and I was transferred across to Qantas for the four trips that day.  

I'll check the stash now - I have a number of 76's in it and will lt you know

19 minutes ago, Gimme Shelter said:

I'll check the stash now - I have a number of 76's in it and will lt you know

OK - 10 dusty mins later. Looks like Hasegawa (as with their 747-400's kits) have been and stayed loyal to GE.

My stash =

2 x AA kits 767-200 - GE's

1 x ANA Mohincan - 767-300 GE's

1 x ANA Marine Whale Special 767-200 - GE's

1 x Beardo 767-300 - GE's

1 x Fly Panda 767-300 - GE's

1 x JAL 767-300ER - GE's

I am amazed that nobody spotted my deliberate mistake with my Qantas 767 (or maybe you are all being too polite. The decal set was for a 767-300 and I have produced a -200 with the City Name and reg form the intended -300 kit

Never mind - I model for fun and I did not have any -300's in stock at the time of beginning this build. Realising the stock issue, I gutted my local Hasegawa stockist of all his 767's so now I have a good selection ready for the next challenge no matter which livery is intended (PW's excluded)

John

• Like 1