Supermarine Spitfire Vc Sword 1/72

Hi fellow modellers!

This is the last model I completed. It´s Sword´s Spitfire Vc in 1/72.

I have mixed feelings about this kit because it looks good but I ecountered several fit issues, mainly in the cockpit parts. Despite this it can be built into a nice model.

I used Authentic Decals to represent  a "presentation" aircraft, a plane donated to the RAF by a company from my country Uruguay.

This very plane is restored and flying today in the same markings! 

I tried to follow the few historic photos I found because there are some differences with the restored one, like the wings.

I hope you like it and all comments and critics are welcomed!

Best regards.

Ignacio 

49250858_656046184792284_175748063304037

49771522_656046688125567_646618602419938

49608108_656046194792283_486318232098045

49811015_656045868125649_319513733383795

49864736_656045878125648_355520053979906

49949987_656046418125594_768891787140084

• Like 47

Very good looking Spitfire indeed!

I like the restrained weathering of the wing root and of the traces of fuel leaks – very authentic looking!

I'm less enthusiastic the prop blades. First of all because it's unrealistic to see prop blades so damaged and secondly, because Rotol props are made of wood, with a narrow brass sheath protecting the leading edge. 😉

Excellent model of a very worthy subject!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Very good looking Spitfire indeed!

I like the restrained weathering of the wing root and of the traces of fuel leaks – very authentic looking!

I'm less enthusiastic the prop blades. First of all because it's unrealistic to see prop blades so damaged and secondly, because Rotol props are made of wood, with a narrow brass sheath protecting the leading edge. 😉

Excellent model of a very worthy subject!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks Joachim! I didn´t know about the wooden blades! I will correct this detail.

Thanks very much for the tip and comments! 

Best regards.

Ignacio

Looks cool! I like the weathering, in particular the fact that the roundels looks weathered, too.

When I first saw the tags, I thought I have never heard about Uruguay using Spitfires. But, well, you explained it. Anyway, the Uruguayan navy used Hellcats and Avengers, so  the country has quiet an interesting aviation history (even without Spitfires).

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Doc72 said:

Looks cool! I like the weathering, in particular the fact that the roundels looks weathered, too.

When I first saw the tags, I thought I have never heard about Uruguay using Spitfires. But, well, you explained it. Anyway, the Uruguayan navy used Hellcats and Avengers, so  the country has quiet an interesting aviation history (even without Spitfires).

Thanks!!!

hat´s right, here we had very interesting planes, Avengers and Hellcats, P-51 and B-25. However I find the schemes really boring!

best regards

Great work and a lovely addition to you collection.  

You may want to consider adding the red patches over the machine gun muzzles as well.  These were to keep dirt and cold air from effecting the guns.  If the guns were fired they were just blasted through and replaced by the armoured after re-arming.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Great work and a lovely addition to you collection.  

You may want to consider adding the red patches over the machine gun muzzles as well.  These were to keep dirt and cold air from effecting the guns.  If the guns were fired they were just blasted through and replaced by the armoured after re-arming.  

That´s a nice suggestion. I will correct these things and also to thin the door to make it more scale accurate.

Thanks for all your compliments and critics guys! Very appreciated!

Ignacio

• Like 1

The finish is just perfect. You have some very high grade skills with the airbrush and modelling generally.

You show why Sword kits are so good: I think their very restrained surface detail is scale-appropriate for 1/72 scale. It's worth overcoming the 'short-run' kit issues because they do make other manufacturers' kits look a bit clumsy.

• Like 1