Roundel colour paint matches

playtime

Looking at the IPMS Stockholm site ( https://www.ipmsstockholm.se/home/urbans-color-reference-charts-part-i/urbans-colour-reference-charts-united-kingdom/) there are no direct matches  in those ranges ( Revell excepted ).  Can you get Colourcoats by mail order?

Alternatively , try mixing by eye using the a decal sheet as a guide ( but that's not easy  - I've tried).

I don't remember where I found this.

Dull Roundel Red - Mix of 75% flat Red (XF-7 ), 25% NATO Brown (XF-68)
Blue - Mix of 95% flat Blue (XF-8), 5% flat Black (XF-1)
Yellow - Flat Yellow (XF-3) with a tiny amount of flat Red (XF-7)

Chris

36 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

I don't remember where I found this.

Dull Roundel Red - Mix of 75% flat Red (XF-7 ), 25% NATO Brown (XF-68)
Blue - Mix of 95% flat Blue (XF-8), 5% flat Black (XF-1)
Yellow - Flat Yellow (XF-3) with a tiny amount of flat Red (XF-7)

Chris

These are good for wartime use,   but not the post war D type, as a separate thread is discussing shows

Note @Dave Fleming  on Pantone printing vs BS381C colours

2 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

Just to throw a slight curve into this, it seems the roundel colour changed in the mid 60s from Aircraft Blue to Roundel Blue when the colours were adopted in BS381C. I'd thought this an apocryphal tale, but in his most recent SAM article, Paul Lucas mentioned Aircraft Blue as being the bright blue roundel colour from 1948 onwards.

I think the red should always be Post office Red/Cherry (not seen any indication it changed).

One point about decal sheets is many modern ones are a bit off as they tend to use Pantone colours and there is no direct match - the blues are often too dark and the reds not right either.

7 hours ago, playtime said:

My LMS does not have XtraColour, so I was wondering what approximate matches for Roundel Blue or Signal Red would be available in Gunze Sangyo, Revell, Vallejo or Tamiya?

You posted this in the Cold War section, what are you looking for specifically would get you better answers,  as "cold war" is pretty much 1945- 1990,   so the wartime colours are good for up 47-48, and then there is a change in the mid 60's.

HTH

• Like 1

Hawker Hunter is the subject, the early version with aluminium undersides. I will be doing the red white and blue roundel. This just has to not obviously suck so approximate is enough.

Edited by playtime
extra info

4 minutes ago, playtime said:

Hawker Hunter is the subject, the early version with aluminium undersides. Note this just has to not obviously suck so approximate is enough.

If you have them in your paints, see what you think of just plain old Tamiya  flat Red (XF-7 ),flat Blue (XF-8)  as they won't be horribly wrong,  but have a look at some period photos.

(Hint - not sure on Britmodeller, post up some guesstimate cobblers and winkle out the buff who won't be able to let such vagueness lie.. :whistle: )

some period colour here for example

http://radfanhunters.co.uk/FGA9.htm

• Haha 2

Small confession, in the interests of preventing any potential panty bunching and wasting everyone's time, this is for a stick/tissue free flight job with an electric ducted fan. I just don't want it to look completely crap after I used the right colours for the aluminium/green/grey surfaces and got decent results. The supplied decals looked awful and the red was completely off register. Previous experience of decals over painted tissue were not positive (I ruined a damn decent rubber-powered Do335) either although apparently possible. So I decided to put my circle cutter to good use (I picked up one of those DSPAIE widgets to do tank wheel masks) and paint the things on.

I also just inferred the colors my Dad used for an R/C Sea Fury cos I have the (21st Century ) Humbrol tins here - Gloss 19 Red and Gloss 15 Blue - and they don't look too bad on the Fury...

Edited by playtime
intent
  • Like 1