1/72 - Yakovlev Yak-9 (early series) conversion set by Valom for Valom Yak-7 - release soon

Homebee

As my fans (all one or two of them) might guess, I'll be very interested to see this when it materializes, especially since Valom already released a few years ago a "Yak-9 (early series)" which was probably more like a "Yak-7 (late series)", if you get my drift. If he's doing a replacement fuselage (per the 72news.eu link) maybe a Yak-9T (or -9K, or -9M) will follow at some point with another fuselage depicting the 400mm cockpit setback on these types. Happy days!!!

John

Here's the existing Valom Yak-9 (early series), released in 2013:

https://www.72news.eu/2017/11/valom-yakovlev-yak-9-early-2013-tooling.html

Edited by John Thompson
  • Like 3

John (I am one your two fans, who's the other?), I have that kit, and it is basically the late Yak-7B kit with new resin wingtips, a new resin upper cowling, and decals for an original series Yak-9. Actually not a bad little kit. I agree completely with you regarding replacement fuselages to make a Yak-9 with the aft-mounted cockpit. Still, it's always nice to see a little movement on the 1/72nd scale Yak fighter front.

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Now I'm puzzled (that never happens) - the 2013 Yak-9 (early series) kit was the standard Valom Yak-7 with Yak-9 conversion parts added, as noted by Learstang. So what makes this new release new? Maybe Valom is just selling the conversion parts from the 2013 kit separately, for all those people who already have a Yak-7, but really, really want a Yak-9? I can relate, I suppose...

(Who's my other fan? Ummm - I'm drawing a blank - maybe I was too optimistic...)

John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

The text refers to a new fuselage, not just a new cowling top.

As if the Yak-7 wasn't pricey enough in the UK, without having a not-cheap conversion kit required.  I think I'll still wait for a Yak 9 from someone else.

Sorry, the existing Yak-9 Early kit does include a second injection-molded fuselage as well as the parts Learstang mentioned. In other words, what you get is a complete Yak-7 kit, plus the low-spine Yak-9 fuselage and other parts to make the conversion, in a Yak-9 box. To your point about cost, assuming the new release is what we think it is, it might be more cost-effective just to chase down the 2013 Yak-9 Early Series kit.

The link I posted in post #2 above shows several views of this second fuselage if you scroll down far enough, as well as all the other parts.

John

Edited by John Thompson

Although Valom VK105PF-powered Yak-9 is the best game in town yet, it's in 99% identical and totally compatible with DAKO one - perhaps the moulds have been made by the same man. 

These are Dako/Eastern Express sprues https://www.mojehobby.pl/products/Jak-7b.html#gallery_start

and here are the Valom ones https://www.mojehobby.pl/products/Yak-7B.html#gallery_start

As you can see the details are virtually the same, only their layout is different. And  whereas Valom offered all the known variants of Yak-7 (two- and single-seaters, high and low back) and only the very early Yak-9 (called briefly -7DI), DAKO made only the high-back single-seater "seven" and both forward- (Yak-9B/R/D) and aft-moved-cockpit (Yak-9M/T/K) variants of the "nine". So theoretically they (almost) don't overlap. I still have some original DAKO "nines" in my stash, so you can PM me if you need one desperately :D

Cheers

Michael

I have both the 'razorback' Yak-7B (Eastern Express box, but Dakoplast mould), and the Dakoplast Yak-9B/R/D (three of them, in fact), but I did not realise Dakoplast had made a kit of the Yak-9 with the aft-mounted cockpit.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

12 hours ago, John Thompson said:

(Who's my other fan? Ummm - I'm drawing a blank - maybe I was too optimistic...) John

Like Sting sings, "I hate to say it, but it's probably me". At least I´m one who wants a decent injection molded Yak-9 in 1:72 scale. V-P 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Learstang said:

but I did not realise Dakoplast had made a kit of the Yak-9 with the aft-mounted cockpit.

Yes, they did. https://www.scalemates.com/kits/dakoplast-12004-yak-9t--567163

PM me if you want one - I can swap it for some 1/72 AFV (my wishlist is visible at Scalemates)

Cheers

Michael

Edited by KRK4m
misprint found
  • Like 1