1/72 - Westland Lysander by Dora Wings - released - new Mk.III boxing

Homebee

Very interesting news, anyone built any of their other stuff? in addition to the Lysander I've taken particular notice of the 1/72 BF109A/B... 

i'm hoping the Lysander will be 1/72, i don't *do* 1/48... 

21 hours ago, Homebee said:

I realise this is early days, but the shape of the cowling does not look right:

Lysander2.jpg

I also note that the lower line of the fuselage is smoothly curved in profile. There is no evidence in the photo of the sharp kink shown in the CAD image.

Edited by VMA131Marine
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It would be lovely if separate flaps and slats were available, given that 'dirty' is how the aeroplane is more often than not seen. Appreciate that in 1/72 would probably require two whole sets of wings though, and would increase the cost. But it would also create a really good reason to upgrade from the previously available kits. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I shall have to have one, it looks promising in several ways.

I'm puzzled about why they've made the flaps a separate part when the leading edge slats are not. Maybe it is simply to enable a finer trailing edge?  In which case fine, but modellers should be aware that it's physically impossible for a Lysander to have the flaps down without the inner sections of the slats being deployed, as it is the slat which drives the flap (there is no pilot control).

8 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

I shall have to have one, it looks promising in several ways.

I'm puzzled about why they've made the flaps a separate part when the leading edge slats are not. Maybe it is simply to enable a finer trailing edge?  In which case fine, but modellers should be aware that it's physically impossible for a Lysander to have the flaps down without the inner sections of the slats being deployed, as it is the slat which drives the flap (there is no pilot control).

As in this image:

Lysander2.jpg&key=c86fc83c3579c3062fc2ec

But this one has flaps and inboard slats up, with outboard slats down

9587L.jpg

• Like 1

Yes. The outboard slats are completely uncontrolled and unconnected to anything, including each other. Each outboard slat does exactly what the relative airflow demands of it, all the time, entirely independently. The movement of the stagnation point associated with angle of attack drives them, and so they are out at high AoA and flush at low AoA.  On the ground you might see one in, one out, or both in, or both out. If you have landed normally and it's not windy and you don;t taxy over anything bumpy at very low speed, then they will tend to stay out until, and after, engine shut-down.   At that point the prudent operator might push them in manually if leaving the aeroplane outside for any length of time, along with zipping up the rest of the aeroplane.  Or might not. I would if leaving the aeroplane outside overnight, but not if hangaring it.

The inboard slats are connected to each other and to the flaps. One inboard slat cannot be out unless the other is. The inboard slats drive the flaps, with no intervention from the pilot. If the slats are out the flaps are down. If the flaps are down, the inner slats are out.  (Unless of course something is broken or partially dismantled for maintenance, but let's agree to ignore that case, shall we?)

As with the outer slats, generally the inners are therefore deployed, along with the flaps, after landing and taxying. Also, like the outer slats. if you manually push them in,  then they will go in, and the flaps will retract.  This is not something you do with a cockpit control, but by physically moving the control surface itself.

In the upper pic the left outer slat has either blown back in (they are very free-moving) or bounced back in taxiing, or someone has pushed it in. The inner slats and flaps are showing their interconnection.

In the lower pic, someone has manually retracted the inner slats and flaps while leaving the outers alone. Again, the inner slats and flaps demonstrate that they are interconnected - you can't have the flaps down without the inner slats deployed.

I seem to be repeating myself a lot here but it seems worth making it completely unambigiuous. Most people find the Lysander's control pecularities highly bizarre and counter-intuitive, because they are.,Harald Penrose, the Westland chief test pilot, thought the aeroplane was committed to production and service far too early in its aerodynamic development, and by any normal standards of airworthiness* he was right**.  Having manual control for the flaps and inner slats would, ironically, have made it a far less difficult aeroplane to fly.

*In times of impending or actual war, military pilots and those who command them both tend to take the view that it doesn;t matter so much how hard the aeroplane tries to kill you if some feature of it makes it harder for the enemy to kill you. See also e.g.: single engine safety speed on the Beaufighter and Mosquito, and the Mosquito's grossly inadequate hydraulic system.

**See also: the fact that the elevators are far too small and the static pitch stability is such that the all-moving tailplane, which is required to overcome the massive pitching moment of the high mounted wing variable geometry, combined with the position of the tail in a slipstream which varies between nothing and 890hp-worth, which means that if you have it correctly trimmed for final approach at low power then opening up to full power will cause you to lose control and crash, because even full down-elevator can't overpower the pitch-up caused by the variable-incidence tailplane when energised by the slipstream. Executing a missed approach in a Lysander is not at all easy to do in safety. 

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4