1/72 - Westland Lysander by Dora Wings - released - new Mk.III boxing

Homebee

Great!  I wonder if we'll get separate mouldings for Mk.I/III and Mk.II?

This was one I was hoping Airfix would give us a new kit of.

• Like 1

Great news! Hopefully 1/72 will lead, it is by far the greater need given the antiquity (and in the Airfix case the serious accuracy problem) of the available kits.

It would indeed be good to have options of a Perseus II as well as the Mercury powered 1 and III.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Lysander had very little post-war civilian use except for the well known few examples on the display circuit. Probably because it was an aeroplane with many ways of killing its pilots and didn't really do much that was of potential value for the usual civilian use categories of moving people and things at reasonable cost.  The only civilian user I know was "Westland Dusting Service" of Canada who used a few for crop dusting for a short period. There is only one photo I know of, which shows them to be very plain-jane, and you can find it a way down this page, along with some more information:

https://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/405818-lysander-nickname-2.html

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

The Lysander had very little post-war civilian use except for the well known few examples on the display circuit. Probably because it was an aeroplane with many ways of killing its pilots and didn't really do much that was of potential value for the usual civilian use categories of moving people and things at reasonable cost.  The only civilian user I know was "Westland Dusting Service" of Canada who used a few for crop dusting for a short period. There is only one photo I know of, which shows them to be very plain-jane, and you can find it a way down this page, along with some more information:

https://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/405818-lysander-nickname-2.html

Thanks, I heard of them used for spraying but now I see the picture. To bad it's wasn't in colour. I think a couple of those are now restored.

So what versions of the Lysander will they release?

I can think of

British army-coop of 1940 with light bombs and messages bags for use over France.

Finland army-coop of WW2.

Target tug over Britain and Canada

British air-sea rescue

Special duties flight - the most interesting version in my opinion

Other users:

Irish Air Corps (six Mk II)

Turkish Air Force (36 Mk II)

Portuguese Air Force (eight Mk IIIA)

USAAF (25),

Indian Air Force (22),

Egyptian Air Force(20)

Edited by LN-KEH
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, LN-KEH said:

Special duties flight - the most interesting version in my opinion

This is my hope. I want to do the aircraft that flew Noor Inayat Khan to France.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

Quite possibly. You can see why they weren't used for long with the abundant availability of surplus examples of the Stearman, and other types of far greater simplicity and suitability for the job.

Sounds reasonable. I don't know where to find info on post war Lysanders, been looking a bit just to see what's there. I'm rebuilding two Hawk kits for a display, getting the bug a bit.

https://modelingmadness.com/review/civil/bakerlys.htm

found this about an Airfix kit made into one of the sprayers. A bit bland on the colour, but historical anyway.

and this one right from here.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234992205-a-couple-of-172-westland-lysanders/

Edited by busnproplinerfan
  • Like 1

And there's another photo, excellent! 

If you are tempted to follow one of those examples and drop the flaps then bear in mind the flaps can't be down without the inner sections of the leading edge slats being deployed. (Normally the outer sections would be out too, but they're free-floating. It's the inner sections which are mechanically connected to the flaps.)