This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Homebee

1/72 - Westland Lysander by Dora Wings - box art+3D renders - in progress

Bring this off, Dora Wings, and I will have your babies :wub:

Cheers,

Stew

Ooer! Credit card n standby, space n the stash reserved! :like:

Great!  I wonder if we'll get separate mouldings for Mk.I/III and Mk.II?

This was one I was hoping Airfix would give us a new kit of.

If they do the Lizzie in 1/72 I will be a very happy chappie indeed! One of my favourite aeroplanes and as I live in a neighbouring village to Tempsford, I can't help but have a personal affinity to them.

Great news! Hopefully 1/72 will lead, it is by far the greater need given the antiquity (and in the Airfix case the serious accuracy problem) of the available kits.

It would indeed be good to have options of a Perseus II as well as the Mercury powered 1 and III.

Perhaps Xtradecal can be persuaded to give us something.

Bewdy Newk! It's long past time for us to have a decent Lizzy in 1:72!

As well as being accurate can we have the winglights in clear plastic Dora (plus any other transparencies)..  None of the other kits do.

Please let it have separate flaps and slats. Lysander models just don't look right with clean wings

Absolutely, that's an excellent point, not on the ground, they don't, though 'solid' wings are fine for in-flight depictions.

Hopefully multi-part canopies too.

New Lizzie, that’s great news - is it too much to ask for seperate wheel spat covers, id like to model mine off thanks. 

Cheers.. Dave 

No news on this kit? Does anyone have any pictures of post war civvy Lizzies?

The Lysander had very little post-war civilian use except for the well known few examples on the display circuit. Probably because it was an aeroplane with many ways of killing its pilots and didn't really do much that was of potential value for the usual civilian use categories of moving people and things at reasonable cost.  The only civilian user I know was "Westland Dusting Service" of Canada who used a few for crop dusting for a short period. There is only one photo I know of, which shows them to be very plain-jane, and you can find it a way down this page, along with some more information:

https://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/405818-lysander-nickname-2.html

21 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

The Lysander had very little post-war civilian use except for the well known few examples on the display circuit. Probably because it was an aeroplane with many ways of killing its pilots and didn't really do much that was of potential value for the usual civilian use categories of moving people and things at reasonable cost.  The only civilian user I know was "Westland Dusting Service" of Canada who used a few for crop dusting for a short period. There is only one photo I know of, which shows them to be very plain-jane, and you can find it a way down this page, along with some more information:

https://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/405818-lysander-nickname-2.html

Thanks, I heard of them used for spraying but now I see the picture. To bad it's wasn't in colour. I think a couple of those are now restored.

Quite possibly. You can see why they weren't used for long with the abundant availability of surplus examples of the Stearman, and other types of far greater simplicity and suitability for the job.

12 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

No news on this kit? Does anyone have any pictures of post war civvy Lizzies?

Work on the 3D model continues.

Posted (edited)

So what versions of the Lysander will they release?

I can think of

British army-coop of 1940 with light bombs and messages bags for use over France.

Finland army-coop of WW2.

Target tug over Britain and Canada

British air-sea rescue

Special duties flight - the most interesting version in my opinion

Other users:

Irish Air Corps (six Mk II)

Turkish Air Force (36 Mk II)

Portuguese Air Force (eight Mk IIIA)

USAAF (25),

Indian Air Force (22),

Egyptian Air Force(20)

Edited by LN-KEH

37 minutes ago, LN-KEH said:

Special duties flight - the most interesting version in my opinion

This is my hope. I want to do the aircraft that flew Noor Inayat Khan to France.

A modern 1:72 Lysander is IMO long overdue. Another occasion where Dora Wings is going to get more of my money! As long as they keep pumping our interesting 1:72 kits, I'll keep buying them. 

13 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

Quite possibly. You can see why they weren't used for long with the abundant availability of surplus examples of the Stearman, and other types of far greater simplicity and suitability for the job.

Sounds reasonable. I don't know where to find info on post war Lysanders, been looking a bit just to see what's there. I'm rebuilding two Hawk kits for a display, getting the bug a bit.

Posted (edited)

https://modelingmadness.com/review/civil/bakerlys.htm

found this about an Airfix kit made into one of the sprayers. A bit bland on the colour, but historical anyway.

and this one right from here.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234992205-a-couple-of-172-westland-lysanders/

Edited by busnproplinerfan

And there's another photo, excellent! 

If you are tempted to follow one of those examples and drop the flaps then bear in mind the flaps can't be down without the inner sections of the leading edge slats being deployed. (Normally the outer sections would be out too, but they're free-floating. It's the inner sections which are mechanically connected to the flaps.) 

About time we had a 1/72 new tool