1/48 - Lockheed Vega & Orion by Dora Wings - Vega 5b & 5c released

Homebee

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 2:27 AM, Homebee said:

Looking good.

It appears as though the lower wing panels insert into the uppers, a method I am not too fond of.

And the ailerons are a bit inaccurate, although this should be fairly easy to correct.

I'm looking forward to the final kit and I do hope Dora moves into more colorful marking options. The Post and AE Vega color schemes are too common and boring. Let's have more color!

Tim

• Like 3

3 hours ago, VH-USB said:

And the ailerons are a bit inaccurate, although this should be fairly easy to correct.

Indeed. They are a reflection of the Wylam drawing which has the balance areas too far inboard (and should be different on top and bottom). Also, no inspection windows in the wing. But should be a much better basis than AMT/Lindberg.

15 hours ago, VH-USB said:

The Post and AE Vega color schemes are too common and boring. Let's have more color!

Personally, I would want the Post and AE scheme. But you are right none the less, that there are many more colourful schemes for the Vega - the "Century of Progress" eagle scheme of Jimmy Matterns is quite striking. I have to repeat: My poor wallet....

5 hours ago, Caerbannog said:

Personally, I would want the Post and AE scheme. But you are right none the less, that there are many more colourful schemes for the Vega - the "Century of Progress" eagle scheme of Jimmy Matterns is quite striking. I have to repeat: My poor wallet....

Yes, both of Mattern's 'Century of Progress' Vegas make for colorful models.

On Mattern's eagle scheme version be aware that the feather details vary from port to starboard and the wheelpants have 3 different claw designs!

Tim

3 hours ago, Mike Esposito said:

Didn't Jimmy Doolittle have a "Shell" Oil version?  For the Orion also?

Hi Mike,

Yes, there were a number of Shell Oil Vegas, 4 to be exact. Some photos of 2 of them can be found here:

https://dmairfield.com/airplanes/NC926Y/index.html

And here's a list of the Vegas owned by Shell Oil:

http://www.internetmodeler.com/2005/november/aviation/MPM_Vega.php

And there was a Shell Oil Orion 9, the only metal fuselage one built (originally an Altair). This airplane is now hanging in a Swiss museum and painted as a Swissair Orion 9.

There also was a Shell Oil Sirius.

Many years ago Shell Oil supplied me with the Pantone color numbers for the original Shell Oil red and yellow used on their aircraft down through the years. These colors did change over the years.

Tim

Edited by VH-USB
Additional information
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Roger Holden said:

Indeed. They are a reflection of the Wylam drawing which has the balance areas too far inboard (and should be different on top and bottom). Also, no inspection windows in the wing. But should be a much better basis than AMT/Lindberg.

Right indeed Roger.

And Dora has the aileron balance on the lower surface too small (fore & aft).

In addition, Dora has the upper aileron balance leading edge line parallel with the wing spar when it actually is parallel with the aileron hinge line.

The Vega had 2 different types of ailerons, the externally balanced version as Dora has molded and an internally balanced version which would have a simple straight hinge line. So study photos carefully when building a particular Vega.

And to complicate matters, Lockheed Sirius' had 3 different styles of ailerons!

Tim

• Like 2

I am all for this regardless of flaws in need of some modeling--v. assembling--love. Still head and shoulders above what's currently available. As noted, many colorful and fun schemes to consider. 

Edited by dnl42
  • Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 12:53 PM, dnl42 said:

I am all for this regardless of flaws in need of some modeling--v. assembling--love. Still head and shoulders above what's currently available. As noted, many colorful and fun schemes to consider. 

Absolutely! I am thrilled that we'll soon have a new 1/48 Vega kit.

I don't want to come across as nitpicking anal details. Just want to point out some things that detail orientated modelers may be interested in.

The important thing is that we'll soon have a NEW 1/48 Vega kit and oh so many color schemes to choose from!

And let's hope Dora follows on with their planned 1/48 Orion 9 kit as that's a plane that would be so lovely in 1/48 scale.

Oh, and a 1/48 Altair would be a natural after the Orion!!

Tim

• Like 4

Completely missed this one, is there any photos of the test sprues of the Orion. The old Hasegawa kit with is raised detail is quite old and would be nice to see a big Orion in new tooling again

2 hours ago, thepureness said:

Completely missed this one, is there any photos of the test sprues of the Orion. The old Hasegawa kit with is raised detail is quite old and would be nice to see a big Orion in new tooling again

I don't think Hasegawa made one? Unless you're referring to the P-3?

15 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

That is not the Lockheed Orion that they are doing. 

They are doing the Model 9 Orion from 1931.

lock-orion9d2%5B1%5D.jpg

Learn something new every day, never knew there was two Lockheed Orion aircraft

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

I do wish manufacturers wouldn't do that.

Like Westland Wessex & Whirlwind, Fairey Fury & Firefly, Curtiss Helldiver & Hawk, Douglas Globemaster - all against the people, just to make life harder... :) 

J-W

On 10/11/2019 at 12:42 PM, thepureness said:

Learn something new every day, never knew there was two Lockheed Orion aircraft

And now there is the Lockheed-Martin Orion Spacecraft:

https://www.lockheedmartin.com/en-us/products/orion.html

Lockheed has recycled the Altair name as well.

Tim

Edited by VH-USB

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...