Northrop Avion "Flying wing", Scratchbuilt 1/72nd scale

A model from 5 years ago, with the original text:

To boldly avion where somebody has gone before:

Flying wings are a particularly attractive subject among modelers of a certain breed. There were also test beds and midway concepts, like the Junkers G-38 and the Northrop first "flying wing", that were not pure flying wings (had tailbooms and tail surfaces) but a cautious approach to the concept. Although Jack Northrop is erroneously credited by some for having either invented or developed the concept (he did neither), the history of the flying wing stretches far beyond.

Interestingly enough, the particular stressed-skin, all-metal flying wing depicted here (the "Northrop" Avion 1) started as a concept pioneered by one of Northrop's associates and later employee, Tony Stadlman. It was him that started Northrop on the thread, although Jack later appropriated his work and even had the face to get mad at Stadlman. Northrop was a great contributor to aviation development on his own right, but the flying wing was not his idea, not even "his" flying wing was his idea. Stadlman was an immigrant from Czechoslovakia that also contributed to the engineering and construction (he was a co-filer of the patent) of Lockheed's monocoque structures.

Be this then an homage not to Northrop (by the way, once more, it is not "Northrup" as erroneously and extensively written in many places), but to Stadlman, the original thinker behind this particular concept. On the Net you may find photos of him holding a model of his flying wing, if you see a remarkable similarity between his and Jack's flying wing, it is NOT a coincidence.

The Avion went, as many prototypes do, through a number of modifications. The horizontal stabilizer is seen in a few images with a portion outside the vertical stabilizer, more according to patent drawings, but was later trimmed back. Extra portions of surface were added to the vertical stabilizers and ailerons, and also to the stab leading edge, which is seen passing beyond the fins' leading edges; the engine was installed as a pusher (prop behind) and a tractor (prop in front), the taildragger tricycle landing gear started as a retractable unit but very soon adopted the simplicity of a fixed one, and therefore the landing gear legs and struts were changed. The Avion could fly two, but the right position was faired over. Photos show also the minor changes introduced to accommodate the aft or front prop. A windshield can be seen too in some images. Bear all this in mind if you decide to build one, and use photos as references. As it is almost always the case with these oddballs no plans whatsoever or not good ones at any rate could be found, so I modified a plan from the Net using photos and the given measures.

The construction techniques are more or less the same ones generally used on the models I posted, although the unusual shape called for a slightly different approach engineering-wise this time. The Avion is a relatively small model in 1/72nd scale. Home-made decals were produced (this time around fortunately only simple registrations) and Aeroclub after-market wheels and prop used.

Strange shape, perky stance, shinny surface, historical significance, all make for a nice model if you have the will to go a bit further into the magic lands of scratchbuilding.

See you there.

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

37.jpg

39.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

46.jpg

53.jpg

54.jpg

09.jpg

14.jpg

16.jpg

23.jpg

24.JPG

25.jpg

26.jpg

28.jpg

55.jpg

56.jpg

57.jpg

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Moa said:

Ts ts Mike, one of us hasn't read the post...

Whoops- my mistake! I didn't read the text before I posted! Sorry, but sometimes the old Mk 1a brain isn't what it used to be!😱

Mike

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Moa said:

Too late, remember?

No, I didn't! I can't believe I had forgotten about your outstanding F2G build- now I'm gonna get flak from Dennis, for sure! Ever consider, when you run out of other classic scratch building projects, doing some racers from the 20-30's Cleveland and Thompson Trophy races? I can just see future Lockheed test pilot Tony Levier's 'Firecracker' done by you, among others!

Mike

http://www.airrace.com/1938NAR.htm

• Like 1

That really is a stunner Moa and  fitting tribute to the unsung Mr Stadlman - perhaps they could call a B-2A "The spirit of Stadlman" in his honour.

I reason this is one of your prettiest models yet - it has a sort of pert cockiness about it.

Cheers

Malcolm

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Herb said:

but what is your preferred method for making that very nice metal finish? Are you an Alclad user?

Cheers, 

Herb

Hi Herb

Indeed Alclad user (it sounds vaguely addiction-related 😉

I worship the Alclad II gods after having tried all the other metallic paint modeling religions.

A good surface, a base coat of gloss enamel or Alclad's own shiny base and then Alclad airbrushed in even, light, successive coats.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Ever consider, when you run out of other classic scratch building projects, doing some racers from the 20-30's Cleveland and Thompson Trophy races?

Have folders on many of them, Mike, and surely they are attractive.

If you can arrange for me a life extension of about 100 years, I will get at them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Very tasty airplane and model as well! However - was she really so much revolutionary?  I've found just  out that the machine originates from 1928 and for me it is in aerodynamic concept not very far fro Savoia SM 55 from 1924! OK, Savoia was wooden (or playwooden) but all metallic Junkers saw action in WWI already...

Cheers

J-W

Savoia-Marchetti-S55-10.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Moa said:

Err...that was just the whole point of the text, that this idea and configuration came from much earlier. The reference to Stadlman was only to clarify that he brought the idea to Northrop, who then appropriated it.

OK, that I've got, but I miss when the idea of Stadlman appeared? My post was about the aerodynamic or just shape  similarity between "Avion" and SM-55. Of course Savoia has two fuselages/floats but the pilot sit also inside wing and no classical fusealage then...

Anyway - you are the master of all those small beauties and I have to admire, that in some part you already convience me that civee machines could be more intersting then military ones. Next life I will turn to them as my hobby :)

Regards

J-W