1/144 Authentic Airliners British Airways 737-200

One of my modelling goals is to model every aircraft flown by BA in the Negus and Negus livery. So far I have completed 6 and have recently been working on 4 more. Here is the first of these 4 a Boeing 737-200.

It is the Authentic Airliners kit with 26 decals, paints are Halfords Appliance White, Racking Grey and a custom mix of Tamiya X3 Royal Blue and X16 Purple. Windows, windscreen and landing lights are naturally from Authentic Airliners Decals. The natural metal on the engines is High Shine Metallic Decal also from AA Decals.

There was a break in the rain today so I was able to dash out and take some pics.

32892763228_7d8612cbbe_o.jpg

32892762828_015ac15d80_o.jpg

32892761088_dd19c04521_o.jpg

46715430122_68c8414798_o.jpg

32892760508_f50930d489_o.jpg

32892760028_4147cb58b2_o.jpg

32892762368_eb0b91a43e_o.jpg

32892761838_f48c880603_o.jpg

Thanks for looking, any comments or criticisms welcome!

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2

That takes me back Ian, I remember them when they were first delivered with that 'Super 737' logo on the rear fuselage.

Beautiful finish on it, the natural metal in particular. What did you use?

Cheers

John

That's another cracker Ian. I had been looking forward to seeing it and I'm certainly not disappointed. The photos, particularly the last two, could almost be the real thing. 

Just to clarify one point, did you do the whole engines with the metallic decal?  I've used it for small areas and individual panels for which it is brilliant but I'd never thought of doing the whole nacelle.

Dave G

Thanks for the comments everybody!

7 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Well Ian, the only criticism I have is that you build a lot better models than me! :D

Thanks Ray, I really don't think they're a lot better though! I have to admit that it helps to start off with an Authentic Airliners kit. You really hit the ground running so most of the work is with the painting and decalling!

2 hours ago, Viking said:

the natural metal in particular. What did you use?

2 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Beautiful! I see that the natural metal finish on the engines is a High Shine Metallic Decal. Did the decals conform easily to the quite complex shape? The landing light decals look very convincing. 

1 hour ago, Skodadriver said:

Just to clarify one point, did you do the whole engines with the metallic decal?  

With the High Shine Metallic Decal I apply it one panel at a time and find it conforms very well. As the film is almost like a plastic/rubber I find hotter water helps a lot but the decal will settled down very well. I do help smooth it down with a brush as it's drying. This is the third time I've used it, previously I covered the engines on my Aer Lingus 737-200

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235006623-1144-aer-lingus-boeing-737-200/

and the belly of my Qantas 747-200.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235039912-1144-qantas-boeing-747-200-converted-from-zvezda-747-8/

Painting is definitely quicker but I feel these decals give a more realistic metal effect. Maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment!

Here's a link If anyone is interested in trying it.

https://www.authentic-airliner-decals.de/epages/17895661.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/17895661/Products/D144-03

2 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

Lovely. Can I ask about how you applied the wing landing lights? Are they decals and, if so, who's?

Yes Eric they are decals, Authentic Airliners again🙂,

https://www.authentic-airliner-decals.de/epages/17895661.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/17895661/Products/D144-BO-00

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 2

Hi Ian thats a lovely job,engines look great,looking forward to seeing the rest of the fleet,well done.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Cheers Michael.

11 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Thanks for the comments everybody!

Thanks Ray, I really don't think they're a lot better though! I have to admit that it helps to start off with an Authentic Airliners kit. You really hit the ground running so most of the work is with the painting and decalling!

With the High Shine Metallic Decal I apply it one panel at a time and find it conforms very well. As the film is almost like a plastic/rubber I find hotter water helps a lot but the decal will settled down very well. I do help smooth it down with a brush as it's drying. This is the third time I've used it, previously I covered the engines on my Aer Lingus 737-200

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235006623-1144-aer-lingus-boeing-737-200/

and the belly of my Qantas 747-200.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235039912-1144-qantas-boeing-747-200-converted-from-zvezda-747-8/

Painting is definitely quicker but I feel these decals give a more realistic metal effect. Maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment!

Here's a link If anyone is interested in trying it.

https://www.authentic-airliner-decals.de/epages/17895661.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/17895661/Products/D144-03

Yes Eric they are decals, Authentic Airliners again🙂,

https://www.authentic-airliner-decals.de/epages/17895661.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/17895661/Products/D144-BO-00

Cheers,

Ian

Thanks. I can see me buying a couple of those sets.

Wow, Ian! This is just superb, as is your custom. What a lovely build in a lovely livery of a lovely bird. The pictures and presentation are absolutely convincing...they look nearly real, especially the close ups. Your workmanship is outstanding, and the attention to detail is spot on. Thank you for sharing this. Really like the 3D windows...looks like that little bird is packed full! And...I am so impressed with the silver metallic high shine decals from AA. I was hoping someone would use and review them. Its motivating to order a set and try them myself. :clap2:

Thanks for all the nice comments everyone!

On 17/01/2019 at 13:54, michael301757 said:

looking forward to seeing the rest of the fleet

I think the next one might be a TriStar Michael.

23 hours ago, Challenger350Pilot said:

Wow, Ian! This is just superb, as is your custom. What a lovely build in a lovely livery of a lovely bird. The pictures and presentation are absolutely convincing...they look nearly real, especially the close ups. Your workmanship is outstanding, and the attention to detail is spot on. Thank you for sharing this. Really like the 3D windows...looks like that little bird is packed full! And...I am so impressed with the silver metallic high shine decals from AA. I was hoping someone would use and review them. Its motivating to order a set and try them myself. :clap2:

Thank you Paul!

My photo baseboard is getting a bit tired these days and I find I normally have to do a quick repair job before I photograph each model! I feel having a more natural backdrop helps enhance the model. I'm not a particularly good photographer but I find my models definitely photograph better outside trouble is I often have to wait for ages for a dry, bright day though.

I have recently bought more of the metallic decal sheet as I have another 747 belly to do but first I'll use it on the engines and wings of my next BA Negus aircraft a TriStar. Give it a go I'm sure you'll love it!

Cheers,

Ian

a smashing and very British build - perfect suited for the website. I really love your work here. So whats the difference between a Super 737 and the Hasegawa 737X that I am building (other than the scale)?

The paint guide I have for the very early 737X I am building suggests different wing colours and no lower belly silver. Did Boeing and BA make a change to their Negus scheme on their 737 fleet? Please do let me know as I may have to make some drastic changes based on your feedback.

I love the decals you have used - those pilots really add the final touch along with the busy windows.

Keep Calm and Negus On...