Flying Dragon - Monogram's 1/48 P-38 Lightning updated.

Hello again,

Here's one I finished last year, Monograms 1/48 P-38 Lightning from the 1960's - updated and marked in my favourite scheme for the type, the flying Dragon!

The kit was rescribed, worn area of wing riveted,  all flight controls and flaps had to be defined/rescribed in order to stand out, all engine scoops on the engine nacelles and the supercharger were opened up, and a scratch built gunsight, instrument panel, engine controls and wiring were added to the cockpit. A modified  Ultracast seat was used.

- Bazooka's and wheels are spare from and Academy kit

- Landing gear detailed, oil coolers in nacelle, and radiators /interior structure added to radiators on tailbooms, brass tubing for guns.

- Dragon faces and mouths were masked and painted, green color custom mixed to match decals, Aeromaster decals for the rest of markings, 

- Painted with Tamiya acrylics using "hairspray" technique for worn/chipped paint area's, weathered with oils and acrylics.

Lots of work, but I enjoyed it and the model won Gold at our local Winnipeg IPMS  contest, and "Model of the Year". I'm quite proud of it, hope you like.

Image7

Image5

Image4

Image9

Image10

Image11

Image3

skanP-38JSeallyHalleakaala002

skanP-38WillardJWebb002

Again, hope you like

Colin

• Like 51
  • Thanks 1

No wonder your model won Gold – it's superb, looking just 'right' with subtle and very convincing weathering.

Certainly one of the best P-38:s I've ever seen. The fact that it's a reworked Monogram kit makes it twice as impressive.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Looks great, Colin, and that weathering you did on the top wing area especially is very realistic.  Congratulations on the well deserved award!  I think I'll stick with the Academy kit for whenever I get around to building those markings.  No rescribing necessary and, as you mentioned, the bazooka tubes are already included.

Cheers,

Mark

5 hours ago, Mark Joyce said:

Looks great, Colin, and that weathering you did on the top wing area especially is very realistic.  Congratulations on the well deserved award!  I think I'll stick with the Academy kit for whenever I get around to building those markings.  No rescribing necessary and, as you mentioned, the bazooka tubes are already included.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks, If your going to do these markings, be aware that the original issue of the Aeromaster decals had the colors all wrong (that's the set I had, unfortunately).  I had to mask and paint the dragons to correct the errors - please see the attached explanation ...

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/viewtopic.php?f=478986&t=492904&p=2578599&hilit=tail+dragon#p2578599

I agree the Academy kit is a better starting point, but I had several Monograms in the stash and wanted to see what could be done with them.  Have fun!

Colin

• Like 1

Phantastic job! 👍Always a pleasure to see a P-38, especially in this CBI finish. 👏

Congratulations for paying attention to correction the accuracy issues with the original decals - pretty much the same as I did with my 1/72 representation of the "Haleakala" posted here: 😊

As a J-5, the "Haleakala" featured a relatively rare combination of enlarged lower engine cowlings and early style canopy with curved  windscreen (like P-38H). It also most likely didn't yet have fuel tanks in the outer wings, as those J-5 and J-10 which did should have been marked with a cross in their data block...