Meteor FR 9 Finished

Very nice. I don't remember the seat in the F.8 kit being that detailed. Might have to start mine soon. Now that I've seen your cockpit I'm wondering whether I might not need the Eduard seat belt set I bought.

• Like 1

Hi everyone

I've managed to get some good time at the bench over the past couple of days and have made some good progress.

The finished bang seat. It's nice that Airfix provide a couple of decals for this to add a bit of interest.

resized_d3777b60-7d81-45a7-991f-4387cf74

And the finished tub after a Kleer/black/brown wash, a dry brushed and varnished. Not easy to photo in black!

resized_57f3fc53-ee7e-4014-9653-a0920b71

And all buttoned up. The fuselage went together without any issues.

resized_f7b2288e-c668-4160-84ee-6ef47e19

c3ef2774-1673-4cfe-b885-de8a2e4060fb.jpe

7366d70a-9c6b-44e0-9e41-28305c7c2ccf.jpe

You can see from this shot that the gun cover's are not a great fit. The other side is worse.

a5c85647-ddcd-4eb3-b34e-7d68394038e9.jpe

The wheel wells were painted with AK aluminium, had a Flory Models wash and were then flat coated with XF86 to knock back the shine and make it look a bit more like aluminium paint which was I think the case.

resized_b57caf12-70e9-446e-b322-08cd3037

Thanks for looking.

Comments welcome.

James

• Like 8

42 minutes ago, Threadbear said:

Great work so far on your meatbox! What primer did you use for your AK xtreme aluminium? 

Threadbear. It was their own black base specifically for their xtreme metal range but I’ve also found that humbrol gloss black works just as well. Only difference is the black base is ready to be sprayed over in about 45 minutes.

Thanks 

James

• Like 1

On 1/17/2019 at 9:14 PM, franky boy said:

Dark earth and light slate grey would stand out nicely in the modelling cabinet!

The scheme was worn by the Spitfire XVIIIs of 208 Sqn and the Tempest VIs of 213 Sqn if memory serves.  I think another thread on this forum refers to use on 6 Sqn's Tempest VIs as well.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Like 1

Looking good there James :) 

I'm just a couple of steps behind you at the minute with the F8

Thought I would do the belts blue as I'd followed the book and done them grey, must admit it's a lot harder to paint them and be neat when the seats in the cockpit 🤔

That'll teach me to look at pics before not after the event 🙄

Then I've had to fashion a seat ejection handle out of copper wire as I'd removed the plastic one to fit out of the etch set, then just as I was about to place it on the superglue, it ejected itself from the tweezers and disappeared across the room never to be seen again 😂

I'll try to post a couple of pics on my thread later on

• Like 1

12 hours ago, franky boy said:

Threadbear. It was their own black base specifically for their xtreme metal range but I’ve also found that humbrol gloss black works just as well. Only difference is the black base is ready to be sprayed over in about 45 minutes.

Thanks 

James

Thanks for that James. I have similar plans for my Spitfire F.22 when I get round to it. Got the AK black primer and a MIG Ammo silver paint set so should be good to go.......

3 hours ago, Threadbear said:

Thanks for that James. I have similar plans for my Spitfire F.22 when I get round to it. Got the AK black primer and a MIG Ammo silver paint set so should be good to go.......

No worries. It will be interesting to see how the Mig silver goes.

23 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Very nice work James, very effective.

The cockpit looks great with the washes and dry brushing.

The fuselage has gone together quickly and looks like a good fit.

Thanks Craig. This kit is definitely one of Airfix’s better kits of there modern releases. Good detail and very good fit. None of those really tight tolerances that we’ve seen in some kits of late.

21 hours ago, Redstaff said:

Looking good there James :) 

I'm just a couple of steps behind you at the minute with the F8

Thought I would do the belts blue as I'd followed the book and done them grey, must admit it's a lot harder to paint them and be neat when the seats in the cockpit 🤔

That'll teach me to look at pics before not after the event 🙄

Then I've had to fashion a seat ejection handle out of copper wire as I'd removed the plastic one to fit out of the etch set, then just as I was about to place it on the superglue, it ejected itself from the tweezers and disappeared across the room never to be seen again 😂

I'll try to post a couple of pics on my thread later on

Thanks Ian. Sounds like a case of the carpet monster strikes again! Looking forward to seeing more of your  progress.

Thanks 

James

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Redstaff said:

Then I've had to fashion a seat ejection handle out of copper wire as I'd removed the plastic one to fit out of the etch set, then just as I was about to place it on the superglue, it ejected itself from the tweezers and disappeared across the room never to be seen again

Probably a good thing actually, its probably more accurate in its sizing now. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone

Its been a while since my last update.

So the wings and fuselage are all together and the fit was pretty damn good all round. Seams and joins were then sorted.

Then it was onto the nose where the fit was pretty bad. Pics below of the interior most of will never be seen again. 

resized_797998a6-9fd4-47b2-af31-3ece40f7

resized_aa3284b9-cf43-4a1e-bd7a-95b12733

I forgot to take a pic of the nose cone and we’re away this week but it’s all sanded and re scribed now. The engines are also in and intakes and covers on with just a little bit of sanding.

Thanks for looking.

Until next time

James

• Like 6

Looking good :)

I must admit on the F8 the nose was an awful fit, it was as if the nosewheel gear was too big for the internal size of the nose

I ended up thinning the nose and rounding off the framework of the gear until it fitted well enough

It seems odd to me that some parts are a superb fit and other parts fit like they are from a different manufacturer

Ian

9 hours ago, Redstaff said:

Looking good :)

I must admit on the F8 the nose was an awful fit, it was as if the nosewheel gear was too big for the internal size of the nose

I ended up thinning the nose and rounding off the framework of the gear until it fitted well enough

It seems odd to me that some parts are a superb fit and other parts fit like they are from a different manufacturer

Ian

Hi Ian

Yes, I totally agree with you. The nose parts were also quite thick on my kit to. So much so that they were to thick for the camera windows to fit properly. All solvable problems of course but as you say when the rest of the kit fits so well....

I also thought that the engine intakes were an excellent fit when compared to some other Meteor kits. 

Have you decided on a colour scheme yet? 

James

Edited by franky boy

20 minutes ago, franky boy said:

I also thought that the engine intakes were an excellent fit when compared to some other Meteor kits.

Hi James, mine were awful, took about an hour on each one to get them to fit without gaps

21 minutes ago, franky boy said:

Have you decided on a colour scheme yet? 

I'm thinking overall aluminium in 56 squadron if the decals I have found are any good when they arrive, so it will sit next to the 56 Hunter I did in the 60's version of the GB

If they're no good, it's back to the drawing board ;) 

Ian

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello chaps

Painting has commenced so here is a long over due update.

Once everything was together and the nose section had been butchered on all the joints had a spray of Mr Surfacer 1500 to check for seam lines. Of which there were one or two which needed some extra work.

resized_747c372c-5c9a-43ba-bf04-3bf1af21

Once these were sorted out a coat of black Stynlrez was laid down. This revealed a few scratches around the engine nacelles where sanding had taken place. New sanding sticks on relatively soft Airfix plastic I think. Anyway these were filled a bit of Mr Surfacer 500 and sanded out and more Stynlrez applied ready for the camouflage colours.

resized_5c5ed04b-495e-4cf1-8d81-c71df4c4

First up was medium sea grey. I'm trying out Colour Coats from Sovereign Hobbies for this build which sprayed very nicely indeed.

resized_2ce1440b-c767-4a01-b748-901ce9d4

resized_20567f89-b2a5-41c0-b6b4-cd270889

Light Slate Grey will be next to complete the topside colours followed by PRU blue for the fuselage sides and under surfaces.

Thanks for looking.

James

• Like 6

Glad to hear you're enjoying the Colourcoats paint James. I've found them to be great and would recommend them to anyone who works with enamels.

22 hours ago, Col. said:

Glad to hear you're enjoying the Colourcoats paint James. I've found them to be great and would recommend them to anyone who works with enamels.

Thanks Col

So far so good. I haven't sprayed enamels for years so it's a bit of a blast from the past but a very nice one. Especially as you know you're unlikely to get any peeling and so on.

I also have some Hataka lacquers to try out at some point soon so it will be good to see how they go.

Thanks 

James

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone

I've been neglecting modelling lately, life has been hectic so here's an overdue update.

So after the medium sea grey the light slate grey was applied using the usual blue tac sausages.

resized_d1ec3bfc-029c-4a56-be1b-2a74a6f2

resized_24e97f20-1111-4673-b6c8-8af54bd5

And them onto the undersides and the PRU blue, currently my favourite model colour and a very nice finish as with all the other Sovereign Hobby enamels. I also lightened this a bit and sprayed it onto the panels behind the ventral tank. You can just make out the slightly mottled effect from the black primer in this photo.

resized_45aa9a09-ba66-47a4-9108-967fc118

I had a bit of touching up to do on the upper surfaces where the paint had peeled off with the masking. I put this down more to the Stynlrez primer than the paints themselves as it peeled right back to the plastic.

Most of the decals are now on but no photos as yet.

Until next time....

James

• Like 5