F104 Noseweight?

Uncle Pete

Little help, please... I'm in the process of seeing if Italeri's 1:72 F 104G can take a joke and wondering about the "sit".  There doesn't seem to be anything in the plans calling for nose ballast and it certainly looks like it won't need any but before I close up the fuze, can anybody tell me if a typical 104 is likely to sit back on its bum?  I'd hate to get it all done and dusted only to find it pointing somewhat skyward instead of nicely on all three feet but I'd rather not put the weight in if it's not necessary.  Thanks in advance.

It's probably best to dry assemble it first and set it on its wheels.  If you still aren't sure then a bit of weight won't hurt;  with that long nose it won't take much.  I'm thinking a bit of Plasticscene would do the trick. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, 72modeler said:

IIRC, none of the 1/72 F-104 kits will need nose weight to prevent tail-sitting.

Mike

Like he said, none is required.  The same holds true for F-4 Phantoms and F-18s.  I mentioned this before on another thread asking about nose weight on an F-4.  I am also currently building an F-20 and it does not need nose weight either.

Later,

Dave

• Thanks 2

On 17 January 2019 at 6:25 PM, Andre B said:

Be careful...

The landing gears on a F-104 are not that strong that it need the extra weight. And as Dave and Mike said, no F-104 needs noseweight...

Cheers / André

Confirmed

As a Further note, several months ago I built the A-Model Piaggio Avanti.  Not a great kit, over engineered in some spots.  It also did not require any nose weight.

Later,

Dave