F4f-3/4 differences

almac

Morning all. I have a notion to do a yellow winged f4f but having done a bit of research I see the wings are non-folding. My question is how easy would it be to back-date the Airfix f4f-4. Would it be more than filling the wing-fold details or are there other differences I need to consider. 

Cheers Allan

The complete wing detail is different, not only the fold. IIRC the guns were more widely apart on the 3 with the ammo in between, while on the 4 they were staggered and closely together. Besides, there are various cowl flap arrangements to consider. You will find everything you will need to know here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for that link. I've just dragged a Tamiya F4F-4 out of the Warehouse of Doom to finish it as an F4F-3 (a resolution for 2019 being to finish some of the stuff that's been lingering for decades), and the article will be a great help.

Allan,

Or maybe this one? Once  flown by later to be ace Noel Gayler. It would be hard to duplicate that weathering, methinks!

Mike

http://warbirdsnews.com/warbirds-news/paul-g-allen-expedition-discovers-the-sunken-uss-lexington-and-her-aircraft.html

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling

6 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Didn't the -3 still carry nose guns ? Or were they gone by then ? 

Nope- only the F4F-1 and -2 had  guns in the nose; when Grumman rebuilt them to be more competitive with the F2A, they went to four .50 cal guns in the wings on the dash 3's.

Mike

However, the XF4U-1 had two guns in the nose as well as a .50 cal gun in each wing....but then I don't have to remind you of that! 😜

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/17/2019 at 11:58 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Didn't the -3 still carry nose guns ? Or were they gone by then ? 

The first two F4F-3’s, which would more accurately be described as pre-production prototypes, had (2) .30 MG’s in the nose, and (1) .50 MG in each wing. This was of course considerably revised for the main production series. All Wildcats did retain the nose gun bay and access door, though.

I highly recommend the recent F4F books by Dana Bell and David  Doyle. Lots of great photos, and good info on the evolution of the early beast.

• Like 1

The recently updated Detail And Scale book on the Wildcat details every version of the Wildcat from the Prototype onwards. There were various differences between 3 main batches of the F4F-3 which would have to be accounted for depending on which particular airframe you want to build (The French, Greek and FAA aircraft all had differences too). I guess it would be one from the first batch if you want to mark it up as a yellow wings aircraft, if I remember correctly only 2 US Navy Squadrons operated them in that scheme.

Duncan B

I'm doing a pseudo conversion here of just such a thing:

If you were working in 1/72 a good start is a Hasegawa F-4F-4 and these:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/QB72024

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/QB72078

There's still lots to do if you want cowl guns, no top intake, a pointy spinner, correct pilot widdling tube etc. etc but in my case its a close enough for a desk display and to use up some funky decals. I tried counting rivets once upon a time, but got bored after two...chacun a son gout as they say, down Mumbai way.

Anil