Ju 87A (K?) Jolanthe and an IAC Gladiator

Marklo

Have you  moulded your canopy yet?, because I wonder if the Special Hobby kit came with a spare and if there was anyone who might  have one for you?

No not yet, but that's half the fun.

I don't know if anyone here is a Father Ted fan, but there's an episode where Ted buys a tea maker for Mrs Doyle, to take the misery out of making tea, she's upset and reples that 'maybe some people like the misery', when it comes to fabrication and molding that's me :)

Edited by Marklo

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

No not yet, but that's half the fun.

I don't know if anyone here is a Father Ted fan, but there's an episode where Ted buys a tea maker for Mrs Doyle, to take the misery out of making tea, she's upset and reples that 'maybe some people like the misery', when it comes to fabrication and molding that's me :)

"You will, you will, you will, you will"

• Haha 1

33685295778_3350bf9a95_z.jpg

33685295648_31d8dd3b31_z.jpg

National markings, out with the Tamiya tape, bled a little but eaily hand retouched. Would have done the rudder at the same time but couldn't find it, with the prospect of having to scratch a replacement, found it on the floor this morning (act of cat?). Although I didn't like the Olive green at first I think the overall effect is pretty good.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3

46846026844_69e32ba90c_z.jpg

Found the rudder (apologies to Pip) and painted the national markings on it. Didn't have the same problems with bleed as on the wings.

32627366897_901f627820_z.jpg

Gave the Stuka a quick coat of Helblau and RLM 02 more to see where I need filler than as a start of the finish. Looks pretty well, just a few spots around the intake and the bulkhead than need filling. 

• Like 1

46888247454_01dc2e14b4_z.jpg

33735242048_f19ea5f09b_z.jpg

Went molding on Saturday, managed to get the Stuka canopy done (as well as the Snark Fuselage) and the cowl for the Pfalz triplane (stuck it in with the Stuka because I didn't want to use up another white sheet just for it) The second photo shows the canopy dry fitted with the rear decking roughly painted.  Worked out really well to the point that I had planned on using the kit front canopy but I don't need it now.

• Like 3

33757192108_79a6ef5223_z.jpg

47634521491_4e11e3c75b_z.jpg

40668145653_1612c3db54_z.jpg

Miraculously my thirty odd year old free decal sheet still works (the fuselage numbers) and my home brewed ones are just fine (need to add the three)

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

49032853708_c5429b3dcf_z.jpg

It's been a while but still filling away, I tend to have many builds in progress and focus on whichever one I'm most interested in at any given time.

Struts added, undersides painted and some preshading done, I think I'm starting to get the hang of this airbrush thing. Need to decide if it's an A or  K soon as this will determine whether the scheme is a hard splinter or softer lines.

• Like 2

On 16/01/2019 at 09:49, Marklo said:

Stash clearance and seeing as how I enjoyed my Tomahawk I thought I'd try to keep an Airfix build on the boil as I tackle more complex builds for therapy? 

46761530921_cf3644fea6.jpg

This was a Christmas present last year.

46708705912_e06e7693e6.jpg

Santa brought this this year

39796251903_fdb012371d.jpg

A little research on the interweb led to this 

45847196655_2d9f819665.jpg

and this

They came in the same box so they're getting built together. Plus it will help clear out the 1/72 kits in my stash. (I'm going 1/48th for all my main builds) Now seeing as how I'm under a ban on German (ahem) tail markings (which is quite ironic as I'm the one with the Jewish ancestry) and how I like to bring in the slightly esoteric if possible, I've decided to convert the Stuka to an A model in either Spanish Civil War colours or possibly Japanese (hence the K, the designation for all export models), the Gladiator was always earmarked for an Aircorp build, just not sure which of the two possible schemes I'd do, but I'm veering towards the green and silver one.

Comparing the Stuka to the plans, it will need new spats, some work on the rear decking a new canopy and some remodelling of the chin radiator with perhaps some other small work. the Gladiator will just need a paint job.

46037169804_448cdb64a4.jpg

The cartoon pig on the spats is Jolanthe btw, this was actually the Luftwaffe nickname for the Stuka

46036444144_031cdc7f19_z.jpg

So to work, first order of business is to make a blank to mold some spats. Here it is prior to some filling to close the woodgrain. It's a sandwich of Balsa and card with the centre pieces double sided taped together so will be easy to split for molding once I get the shape right.

I assume you're in Germany then? I thought the ban didn't apply to things like models anymore? Either way, this thread will make an interesting read.

• Like 1

On 16/01/2019 at 10:26, Giorgio N said:

I quite recently asked about the differences between the Ju-87A and the later variants, will look for the link and post, may be of some use.

Alternatively, have you considered other non German users of the B ? Italy and Hungary come to mind. And for something quite different, Yugoslav partisans used at least one B2 in 1945 after capturing the machine from the Germans.

In any case the Legion Condor A is IMHO one of the most interesting Stuka from a modelling point of view, will watch this !

Didn't the RAF get one to play with? 

No Ireland, my nearest and dearest doesn't like Swatikas,  I'm not that into Luftwaffe subjects these days anyway and it means getting a bit more creative with my modelling.

The more I think about it the more I think I'll go SCW who could resist the flying pig.

Next step I need to finish the interior any get the canopy on and framed before it gets its camo coat.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

49188916696_71e16786b4_z.jpg

Grey and brown on, green next then Markings. I think the pig wins hands down.

Of course at this point I realized I hadn't filled in between the rear of the canopy and the fuselage, a job for liquid greenstuff I think.

Edited by Marklo