Ju 87A (K?) Jolanthe and an IAC Gladiator

Marklo

Stash clearance and seeing as how I enjoyed my Tomahawk I thought I'd try to keep an Airfix build on the boil as I tackle more complex builds for therapy? 

46761530921_cf3644fea6.jpg

This was a Christmas present last year.

46708705912_e06e7693e6.jpg

Santa brought this this year

39796251903_fdb012371d.jpg

A little research on the interweb led to this 

45847196655_2d9f819665.jpg

and this

They came in the same box so they're getting built together. Plus it will help clear out the 1/72 kits in my stash. (I'm going 1/48th for all my main builds) Now seeing as how I'm under a ban on German (ahem) tail markings (which is quite ironic as I'm the one with the Jewish ancestry) and how I like to bring in the slightly esoteric if possible, I've decided to convert the Stuka to an A model in either Spanish Civil War colours or possibly Japanese (hence the K, the designation for all export models), the Gladiator was always earmarked for an Aircorp build, just not sure which of the two possible schemes I'd do, but I'm veering towards the green and silver one.

Comparing the Stuka to the plans, it will need new spats, some work on the rear decking a new canopy and some remodelling of the chin radiator with perhaps some other small work. the Gladiator will just need a paint job.

46037169804_448cdb64a4.jpg

The cartoon pig on the spats is Jolanthe btw, this was actually the Luftwaffe nickname for the Stuka

46036444144_031cdc7f19_z.jpg

So to work, first order of business is to make a blank to mold some spats. Here it is prior to some filling to close the woodgrain. It's a sandwich of Balsa and card with the centre pieces double sided taped together so will be easy to split for molding once I get the shape right.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 6

A Japanese one may/would have been a K but the ones in the Spanish Civil War were flown by the Condor Legion i.e. still in German hands.  None of the other German types flown in the SCW adopted K suffices.  I suspect the suffix was only adopted by aircraft built specifically for export (or at least offered), and seems to have been abandoned by the time the Swiss bought their Bf109Ds.

I quite recently asked about the differences between the Ju-87A and the later variants, will look for the link and post, may be of some use.

Alternatively, have you considered other non German users of the B ? Italy and Hungary come to mind. And for something quite different, Yugoslav partisans used at least one B2 in 1945 after capturing the machine from the Germans.

In any case the Legion Condor A is IMHO one of the most interesting Stuka from a modelling point of view, will watch this !

• Like 1

I did consider the Italian ones, but they're just JU87R's with the German markings hastily over-painted and  very rudimentary Italian ones added. Besides I love the three colour camo and I think the A model spats are much more elegant than the subsequent ones, so I reckon it's worth the pain (which I happen to enjoy anyway :) )

The Japanese model K is an A with a wavey version of the three colour splinter of the SCW scheme, so I may end up with this as it's a pretty interesting looking finish., think of it an early model Stuka in three colour camo with hinomaru on it is going to ook pretty striking.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

Yes according to my Haynes book the SCW ones were regular A's (I do like the Pig), while any export models were designated K's (which means I think the R's supplied to the Reggio Aeronautica woul;d have been K's as well, but they identified them as Picchiatelli which apparently translates as 'slightly crazy')

39820256193_89df5db12f_z.jpg

39820255653_f776c89f44_z.jpg

Working on the plugs for the molding. The spat plugs are pretty much done and the canopy rear decking is getting there. I've used a piece of deal instead of balsa for the canopy it's a bit harder to work but as it's easier to seal the grain and the finish is a bit better than balsa. 

45908725265_2d883e6ee9_z.jpg

45908724935_ec9ac9e89e_z.jpg

Managed to do a bit of molding over the weekend and we have spats (yay)  Was going to do a test mold of the canopy in white polystyrene but just didn't get the time,  still it can wait a few weeks till I get further into the build. Pleased with the spats though.

• Like 2

31927887687_158b64f413_z.jpg

Got the plug for the new canopy more or less finsihed. I'll probably mold it in white styrene first to make sure it fits right and I can use this for the rear decking. The plan is to use the front canopy from the kit as it's difficult to get the angular shape right as a mold and then use the mold for the rest. This of course hinges (no pun intended)  on my carving being up to snuff to match the shape of the kit part. That said if the front bit molds ok I'll use it. (scratchbuilders always need a plan b :) )

• Like 2

Any reason you didn't go for the Special Hobby kit.

Yes, The Airfix one was in my stash and I like a challenge.  In this age of there's a kit of everything (but none in the shops) I still like to do things old school :) (hopefully that doesn't sound snippy )

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

40199915383_4b818e0b98_z.jpg

Got stuck in (or should that be Stuk, ho ho ) yesterday and got the main components of the Stuka assembled. Cut out the rear deck and the existing wheel attachment points ready for my molded replacements, which are going together surprisingly well.

46250681845_26011b0bdb_z.jpg

32222901497_737f5434a1_z.jpg

I also made some headway on the Gladiator. Both really nice kits, the Gladiator even has little dimples where the rigging holes should go.

• Like 7

you appear to have vac formed your own spats etc

I did indeed.  With the canopy to follow. The detail is in my Triplane WIP thread. Nothing fancy a wooden box from ebay a butchered photo frame, some bulldog clips an old hoover and the kitchen grill (although I think I have a mini oven in the attic that might be pressed into service once I finish clearing out the garage)

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

33556905588_96d13d9a8c_z.jpg

Progress on the Gladiator. Painted the fuselage the right colour ( initially I had it in a mid green not a million miles from the insignia colour, but my references cite it as 381c/278 ,  a light olive sort of shade, which is actually a perfect match for Tamiya Khaki Drab) Can't say I'm gone on it but it will at least contrast with the tail markings. Also attached the upper wing and started pulling through the rigging lines.

• Like 1

47462507661_ecc46dfc52_z.jpg

Legs trimmed and spats firmly attached on the Stuka. Need to be faired in with some Milliput.  I've decided to go SCW (the pig swung it for me) and I've printed off the decals including the Jolanthe for the spat.

47462507241_5a16341483_z.jpg

A second coat of 'Green' and the rigging pulled through and secured on the upper wing of the Gladiator. Next step is to tension the rigging by  pulling and securing the wires in the lower wing. With 1/72 projects I find it easier to use two through holes for the rigging secure one then tension and secure the second one. On my 1/48 projects I'm moving towards using wire eyelets, which should be better as I don't have to fill and sand through holes  post rigging, but these would be over-scale in the smaller projects.

• Like 2

47438212892_6255be64eb_z.jpg

Started on a new nose for the Stuka. Not entirely sure I need the whole nose so I may end up grafting it on to the kit one. (slightly blurry photos)

47438212972_f29c2d0787_z.jpg

Rigging more or less complete on the Gladiator. Just the Aileron wires and then it's time for some filling and the final painting. The tamiya tape is for the underwing strips which I was going to do pre rigging till I realized that most of the holes fell inside the stripes.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

47459993592_7e93f7c4f1_z.jpg

The nose continues. upper deck and radiator from the kit grafted on. Lots of filler and sanding and a coat of paint to see how much filling and sanding I need to do. Doesn't look it in hte photo but nearly there, jsut a bit more sanding, then dril the exhaust holes and scribe some panel lines.

40554384273_144d322186_z.jpg

40554383983_6a0476eb2f_z.jpg

Out with the milliput; spats faired in and some more filling on the nose. replaced the vertical slatted radiator from the kit with horizontal slats, which are correct for the 87A (or K). Trust me once it's all sanded down it will look wonderful :)

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

40567906913_02f4ebc382_z.jpg

Nose now neatened up (particularly the exhaust holes)  a bit and fitted, just need a small amount of filler and scribe the new panel lines and a bit of sanding on the spats. Looking very purposeful. Pretty pleased with progress so far.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

Thats looking really good so far Mark. Have you  moulded your canopy yet?, because I wonder if the Special Hobby kit came with a spare and if there was anyone who might  have one for you?