Farman 200 Tourisme 1922, scratchbuild 1/72

A build from 5 years ago with the original text, as usual:

Ah, the irresistible attraction of an out-of-the-beaten-path subject, obscure, arcane, esoteric...and why not irrevocably weird.

Your odd model though will most likely not be destined to resemble the ones already populating the shelves and modeling contest tables, and, best of all, will bring to 3D life a subject that until then was never appreciated. That's a good feeling, isn't it? to bring to life a piece of aviation history that wasn't there before, the designs and hopes of sometimes ignored individuals, the shapes and configurations created by daring minds. Of course, you may get the occasional blank stare. That is perhaps unavoidable, and can actually be construed as a compliment: "Whozzat?" translated into proper language means "I see something new". But, who am i to judge, I have sinned in my youth too.

There is a more difficult side in dealing with odd balls, though: you are almost surely bound not to find a kit to adapt or convert, or even a plan, or abundant photographic references. Research will take a little time, but man, will it be rewarding. So your little creation will grow from almost nothing to something, in your caring hands and brain. I must say, though, that in this particular case, I did find a 3view, although in some obscure crag in the Net, containing the pertinent issue of the French journal "Les Ailes", together with all the additional stats needed. The plan had to be corrected and refined, but it was a very good starting point.

Considering the year when this creature was born, 1922, one can immediately see its pioneering solutions: cantilever low wing, sport -private- market orientation, a canopy to insulate the crew from the inclement elements, simplicity of design and -for the time- dashing appearance. A precursor no doubt of many other Farman future endeavors.

Of the very few images I managed to find, a couple show the plane without the canopy, in a configuration that may suggest one occupant instead of the standard canopied two. This type should not be confused with a later model that also got the "F.200" denomination, a few years after. Contrary to the blurbs that are found on the Net regarding its performance (given as pour) at least one contemporary article speaks about many successful flights and good maneuverability. 

The deceivingly common appearance of this cantilevered low-wing beauty should not make you oblivious to the fact that it was built in 1922!, way before this  configuration was widely spread and accepted.
I'd like to thank some friends for their input: the Canadian Twins Malain & Alain, Mr. Xtmoxchs P. of Florida, Mr. Jaime Irregularis of Pugetland, Lars Abominable Snowman of Alaska and finally Helga, who stole valuable information from the vaults at the Volkano lair of the Zoenke Evil Empire Aktiengesellschaft.

Accessories are from Aeroclub's stock.

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

45.jpg

48.jpg

15.jpg

18.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

A flight magazine photo of it (lower half page):

https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1923/1923 - 0007.html?search=farman tourisme

An Aerophile photo of it (upper half page:

https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k6555017m/f19.item

49.jpg

50.jpg

• Like 22

As we've been spoilt with, a superbly constructed and finished model of a decidedly offbeat subject.

I have to say that the prototype, as portrayed by the model, looks amazingly modern and also quite attractive – not least taking into account that just a couple of years earlier, the state of the art was open cockpit and multiple wings held in place with a spider's web of built-in headwind. Some forward thinking there!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Thanks 1