I get a lot of enjoyment out of playing around with a 1/48 Monogram plane. Sure there's issues with their style of kit production that clash with modern methods, but the amount of style they cram into what is really quite a simple parts breakdown keeps me happy and building.

Trouble with firing up your mojo....?

Get one of these!

IMG_20190114_174221

Now, I've been bashing away for a few weeks already, and to be honest I wasn't planning on putting up a WIP--- but there's a couple of things have come about at the later stages that I'm..... Well, happy about!

One of them is tackling drab military colours.

And the other is kind of a fulfillment of a long held idea, or a little ambition.

So, I'm definitely not starting at the start here--- and I haven't been taking pictures as I built.

So, what's the point?

Let me show you this...

IMG_20190115_225941

IMG_20190115_230218

IMG_20190115_230347

Can you see what it is yet...!?

Well, I've liked this picture a lot, for years....

Curtiss_P-40_Of_The_26th_Fighter_Squadron_51st_Fighter_Group

....and the little monkey guy just finishes the scene for me.

I know there's issues with the type of P40, markings and so on.

Not even sure if I can do the little fella.

But THAT'S what I'm trying to create here.

Think of it as an impression of the scene.

That's what I'm doing!

• Like 10

Oh boy, this is going to be a good one. I'll watch with interest. I may have a half dozen or so of this kit and other old Monogram produced kits. And a front row seat!

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 2

Making a few improvements on the ex- RAF fitter.

Leather or sheepskin flying jacket with added collar, brush adjusted, baseball cap tidied up with the peak.

IMG_20190116_163022

IMG_20190116_164013

His jacket is that camo dk earth colour and then a dirty future wash on top.

I do have a plane going on as well, for him to kneel on.

I'm coming to that....!

Also in hand is the protective mat roll to go on the wing.

• Like 4

Such a beautiful job to add some realism to the old kit. My guess the paint can and lid be down by his left foot and not sure what is in the monkey's hand. Keep it going. This is my ultimate goal. To try and duplicate an image. 

Ron VanDerwarker

• Thanks 1

Aircraft-wise, as you can see, I'm well down the road, but I'll go through the various bits of "fun", and tell you about it as I go.

IMG_20190116_200447

IMG_20190116_200531

One thing I do on a fairly regular basis is make over the prop assembly so that it's removable.

Ali tubes, one a neat sliding fit in the other.

The small one fits permanently in the prop hub, and the bigger bore

tube in the fuselage front--- dead straight.

IMG_20190116_200631

Ailerons were flexed a little, getting movement before they're glued.

Flaps are supplied separate, and I managed to get the elevators free.

Rudder left straight.... don't want to overdo it!

Also, before any painting I covered several areas and panels with my sticky backed Ali foil.

The idea is to give a bit of uneven, worn, hard life look.

Evidence will reappear!

I'll tell you about the painting process next time, but I'll warn everyone NOW.....

It's not for the airbrush " snowflakes"

If you like comparing Du Pont colour swatches against historical documents...

If you daydream about your settings on your favourite airbrush and suitable mixture....

LOOK AWAY FOR THE NEXT POST

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

Great idea and looking good

To answer your question whats the monkey holding  its a bigger brush - like a decorators brush.  

What I spotted was that there is something yellow rolled up behind the slid back canopy and I cant work out what that is.  Also is the just the angle but the mirror fixing on top of the front screen looks like its been placed at an angle

The old monogram kits bring back fond memories.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello Rob !

That's a great idea i and a great kit too !

Front row seat for me too beside the bar if you Don't mind !

I'm about to start a double build with one of these monogram and a trumpy one !!

Great idea really !! I'll look if I did'nt have a thing like the monkey in my parts !

Congratulations !! I'm enthusiastic !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

2 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

I'm about to start a double build with one of these monogram and a trumpy one !!

Did that a few years ago with the Monogram and Academy P-40C. I will stick with my Monograms for future builds, way better in everything detail and ease of building. 

• Like 2

OK so, like many in the UK I grabbed the chance to get some Airfix Starter kits back in December-- .Mk1 hurricane and a P51D.

And in the box you get your poly glue, an OK lil brush, and 4 tubs of acrylic paint...... You know the stuff, scorned by all and sundry....

The Hurricane has the RAF colours-

I'm in some trouble here and prob wrong names but...

..duck egg blue 

..dk earth

..dk green

..and matt black

The kit plastic is a really dark brown, so I killed that and primed the surface in one go with white enamel washed on.

Then the wee tubs came into play.

IMG_20190116_221035

• Like 2

OK my phone has just dumped several paragraphs of text into a parallel universe... And I ain't typing it again with one finger.

On a bright note, let me come back in a mo with a picture..

IMG_20190117_231651

That's not the guy who's kneeling on the wing....

This is the very skinny, poor quality pilot figure after a complete makeover

Baseball cap, whole new arm, beefed up all round, and given a proper flying jacket.

The blob of Fimo clay on the oil drum may be in the process of becoming a little marmoset (?;)

Or not....

Anyway, scratch built baseball caps...  I mean, ... COME ON. !!

Edited by rob Lyttle
add good news
  • Like 5

Great start Rob. I don't have any starter kits but have quite a few Airfix kits. We do what we must to achieve the final results. If at all possible I'd try to mix those colors with denatured alcohol to see if would mix enough to run thru an airbrush. That's just me. I'm a gluten for punishment. The same way with kits that some have very bad reviews. I'm all in with what your doing.

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1

I was glad that the US Army was all-over olive type, and not a splodge pattern camo style.

I just can't get into that. I go to great lengths to avoid having to do it! 

The little Airfix Hurricane Mk1 that donated the paints was finished as G-AFKX in nmf and silver dope.

But the allover dirty, dusty, beaten-up look in the pics, that's what I wanted.

Faint blue wash like watercolour over the duck egg blue cancelled some of the green-ness, and dirty black Kleer washes and stains applied underneath.

The fuel tank got 4 legs and a fuel pipe, and while I was at it, I took a few gouges out of it, to look like dents

IMG_20190118_231221

IMG_20190118_231331

One thing that's in favour of raised panel lines and rivets is that, when the decals are on, you can go over the surface with a worn out emeryboard and it picks out the details through the decal. It looks more like the decals have had plenty of wear and tear as well.

Same thing applies topside.

IMG_20190118_231145

• Like 4

Here, you can start to see a few minor issues that need overlooking...

P-40_255_26th_FS_51st_FG

The aircraft does have a bit of a camo pattern under all the wear and tear!

Three guns in each wing, and the .50s deleted from the fuselage.

Gunsight, of course, and the ring and bead sight deleted... ( or broken off by the wee monkey.!)

Fantail exhaust stubs instead of my straight tube type.

I should say, this kit features two guns.per wing, and they come moulded on the wing uppers.

One of the first things done was to cut them out of the edge of the plastic and put them away for later.

They'd never survive! 

Note the fuselage insignia is the short-lived red border Star n Bar, and I've also just noticed that the two tail bands are yellow.

That's OK .......

• Like 2

Oh yeah, wife gives me her well worn emery boards and also hit up the dental places to see if they have worn out bits. Those that are not sharp enough for teeth are great for plastic. Have gotten a few but soak them in alcohol then bleach. 

I like the challenge to reproduce camouflage. Only issue was the wrap around, my brain had a hard time adjusting to the bottom. Seen so many SEA camouflage that it was hard to do the same pattern ob the bottom. Was use to light gray or semi flat black.

Doing a great job and keep up.

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1

I got a yellow wash on the fuselage stripes to get them looking as in the refs.

IMG_20190119_175212

I saw a few photos of prop blade wear in abrasive conditions.

It's definitely the tips that get it, let's say the outer 1/3.

And most of the wear on the BACK of the blade, which starts to make sense when you think about it.

Apparently the Coral Islands in the Pacific were the most abrasive conditions.

So, some dry brush work on the blades,

IMG_20190119_174918

IMG_20190119_175015

And I got a pair of Milliput wheel chocks in place.

Speaking of Milliput, I may try working with a blob of this for my next effort at making a little marmoset dude.

That's not going too well...!

• Like 4

I was saying previously about doing foil panels in places prior to any painting, to bring out some variations in the surface.

Here's an example on a 1/32 BAe Hawk , although I wasn't going for the hard life look on this ...

IMG_20190116_092746

IMG_20190116_092514

That's the roll of foil tape she's sitting on.

• Like 3

Monkey business...

(......What am I DOING....???)

IMG_20190120_000818

IMG_20190120_000900

The front blob is Fimo clay, which stays soft until baked at 130°C, when it goes rock hard.

Back one is Milliput and if I catch it tomorrow may be firm but workable.

I think I'm down to about the right size, which is a fraction of what I thought.

What to do with leftover Milliput?

Make some more wheel chocks, that's what!

Every parked up plane should have some... 

• Like 5

I think I MAY have a basis for a wee monkey chap, near enough as a blank to try some paintwork on.

It's been an ordeal....!

IMG_20190122_000134

IMG_20190122_000159

I won't show you all the fails!

I just had to keep going smaller and smaller.

May not be tempted to do this again....

• Like 3

IMG_20190122_110048

I think this is the same airframe, with 255 on the tail and two fuselage stripes, although the red border around the Star n Bar is gone.

It's captioned as being a P45K at Kunming in 1943.

The previous picture, though, identifies the painter as Sgt Elmer J. Pence, and gives it as probably a P40E of the 26thFS, 51stFG, 14thAF, in China, 1944.

I have done my best with making a little monkey holding a paintbrush.

Paint is drying and the rascal is glued on.

Elmer is also attached.

I have a yellow rectangle ready to slide behind the rear cockpit glazing @JohnT , but I still have no idea!

There's two filler caps in the panel behind and I guess the sliding canopy has to be forward in the closed position and the rear glazing removed to access the filler points....?!

Could it be something to help with the filling operations in an awkward position?

Sliding canopy is getting foil strip glazing bars and then paint. I like the way the paint weathers on the Ali and the metal starts to show.

Also 2 gun barrels made and fitted to the port wing, so it's coming on!

Pictures to follow soon, I'm hoping.

Cheers!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1