1:144 Star Wars Resistance Fireball (Kitbash)

I finished this model ages ago, but it took a long time to get around to taking studio photos of it.  The new animated show "Star Wars: Resistance" is a mixed bag, IMO. I love the animation style (I grew up watching Robotech, the US-import version of the Macross Saga, so I love the anime style applied to Star Wars) and some of the ship designs are quite cool, while some of the characters are.....anyway. 

I fell in love with the main hero ship, the constantly-in-need-of-repair Fireball, which came about from one of Lucasfilm's showrunners wondering what an X-wing designed around the F4U Corsair would look like. While the actual ship doesn't directly share any parts with the T-65 X-wing or the F4U Corsair, you can get pretty close my mashing the two together, which is what I did with a Bandai Vehicle Model T-65 X-Wing, and an AFV Club 1:144 scale F4U. 

The AFV club model was very nice to work with, with plastic that's compatible with Tamiya extra fine cement. I had to do a lot of chopping, filing, and repositioning of various parts, as well as replacing the X-wing wing cannons with music wire and aluminum tubing, since they predictably broke off in all the handling. 

The paint job took ages - SO much masking. There are 4 base colors, and quite a few odd panels. I'm very pleased with how it turned out. 

31460547037_7236ccd9d2_b.jpg

32527866908_c7d57b5640_b.jpg

45489653755_44fb0d84aa_b.jpg

45486308195_f1d143526d_b.jpg

44578682870_d3aef5f0a7_b.jpg

44655252945_81126d0f6e_b.jpg

44581822380_63e031bba7_b.jpg

I didn't really keep a build log outside of Instagram, but there are a bunch of WIP and primered photos in a flickr album

• Like 13

That's a really great rendition of the Fireball. As you said, the ship designs are probably the best part of the show. Shame the storytelling isn't as well thought out. You've nailed the paint job too. It's nice to see some colourful ships in the SW universe for a change.

Andy:cat:

• Like 1