Vosper MTB Colours - Advice Please

nheather

I was given the Warlord Games Cruel Seas games for Christmas.  Intend to paint up the models and play the game as a bit of fun but not going to get sucked into expansions etc.  So when it comes to painting, just going to use what I already have as close enough.

So what I’m trying to do is work out what coliurs the ships were and then match to the closest I have.  Using the old White Ensign range as reference - have worked out what colour the E-Boats were, but not so sure about the Vosper MTBs.

Just talking about the standard scheme not any specific camouflage jobs.

So the hull is a two tone light grey and medium grey.

The super structure a light grey.

The deck looks like a medium or dark grey.

Can anyine advise which of the WEM paints these would be and then I can match against those.

Again, I’m not looking for total accuracy, just close enough - at 1/300 scale I iamgine I should go a little lighter too.

Cheers,

Nigel

Hi Nigel

Most of the wartime Vospers seem to have been painted in 507c/G45  light grey with B15 Blue (vs (Blue Grey) decks and occasional patches on hull sides with white as counter shading and often on bows etc.  There was variation from early war through to late .

This contains all you would need to know ...

Coastal Craft History Volume 1 - Vosper Motor Torpedo Boats

And Jamie Duff has recently re- interpreted colour schemes and paint hues - he posts here and his work is compelling...

There are substantial differences between his range of Sovereign paints and some in the "old" White Ensign Colourcoats range

If you are into Acrylics AK do "507C" which is a closish match to Jamie's offering.

To see his colours "in the flesh as it were - check out my Fairmile B Blog ...Paint job from page 9 onwards

HTH

Rob

• Like 2

Thanks, that is really helpful.

Many of the photos I have seen show a two tone hull, light grey but with a darker grey covering all but the top under the deck and curving down to the waterline near the front.

Is that darker grey the same as the deck colour or something different.

Cheers,

Nigel