1/48 Revell 109G-10

Antb

Hi guys 

I haven't built anything since the 1/24 Spitfire for the airfix group build last Summer and wasn't going to do a build log for this one, but I want to try some new techniques and thought why the devil not. 

I haven't had a great start to the year so far but that's a story for another day, I've been painting 28mm French Napoleonics for what seems like forever and so I thought it was high time for something different. 

So, here we go with the Revell 1/48 109G-10. 

Picked up in the hobbycraft black friday sale for the princely sum of a fiver. 

In the subject field I have said it isn't one for the purist so if you are of a nervous disposition I wouldn't advise taking any interest in this build 😀. Things won't be accurate, but it's more for practice. 

Enough with the waffle (apologies it's been a while since posting here so I'm getting the excitement out of the way ha ha) 

The scheme won't be the out if box option as I'm currently a brush painter I'm going for this one. 

20190115-192509.jpg

Being a scrooge I'm not buying a full decal sheet for the one option so amusing the kit number "2" I will use that as a guide to cut out a mask and this bird will be yellow 2. 

If anyone has anything suggesting the top colours or camo pattern I'd be most grateful for pointers. 

Also, there won't be the serial number on it either. I'll use the excuse it was painted over. 

Furthermore, I'm not buying the proper belts. Instead I have some HGW ones from a 109E and as they are a representation they will be good enough for me. 

New techniques on this one, I'm going to try some oils for weathering. This isnt ground breaking but for me I've never used them. 

On with the sprues. The plastic is unusual but no flash and clear defined detail. 

20190115-192607.jpg

20190115-192821.jpg

20190115-192833.jpg

Progress to follow but not this evening 

Take care 

🐜

Edited by Antb
  • Like 5

Good evening all, 

I have made a little progress since my opening post last night. 

The kit is really basic (what do you expect for a full cost of a tenner) so some scratch to busy things up is needed. Printed a couple of images of the cockpit for reference and bearing in mind it will be cockpit closed I didn't need to be too accurate. 

To be honest, I'm new to scratch building so my work isn't the best. 

So, the seat and cockpit floor 

20190115-205640.jpg

The seat is awful so I needed to do something with it. 

I chopped it in half. As you do 

20190115-210228.jpg

I would use the bottom but discard the back of the seat and build up a rough frame and floor details for the bottom to sit in. 

I got a bit carried away and didn't photograph the stages as I was going but after a couple of hours I had this. 

20190116-132744.jpg

And the other side 

20190116-132753.jpg

I added a seat cushion made of tissue paper soaked in pva (I did say it was a rough interior) and although not accurate makes things busier. 

This was left to set overnight and I've got a touch of paint on it today. I don't have anything further to show at the moment but hope to have something more to share possibly tomorrow. 

If anyone does happen to have any info on the top camo scheme do please let.me know otherwise I'll have to make it up, and we wouldn't want that 🤣

Cheers guys 

🐜

• Like 3

Good evening 

A bit more progress has been made since yesterday. Not much really as the kit is a bit of a pain. I thought that this kit would be a nice easy build to get me back into the swing but it's not. 

But onwards and upwards. 

Cockpit was given a lick of paint and a dry brush and looks like this. I thought I had taken more photos apparently not 

20190116-223527.jpg

Not accurate bit as I say busy enough. 

Side walls were next. These are awful out of the box so a bit was added. 

20190116-152506.jpg

Again no actual photos for some unknown reason so here's the pit stuck to the walls. 

20190117-153614.jpg

20190117-153622.jpg

Before I knew it the fuselage had been joined and this is where we are this evening 

20190117-195715.jpg

20190117-195727.jpg

20190117-195740.jpg

The plastic shim at the top of the seat is because there's a massive gap. I'll trim this down and blend it into the seat once set and it should look ok. 

The IP looks odd too. This doesn't want to sit right on the fuselage and I'm.not sure why. Builder error me thinks. 

One last bit done. The rudder was attached to the tail, didn't like it so lopped it off to make it a bit more dynamic. The tail wheel will probably follow suit. 

20190117-195754.jpg

I know I'm.not winning awards but I'm new to the while scratch building way so hope it passes as acceptable. 

🐜

• Like 3

Hi guys, 

So it seems I have quite a lot of time on my hands over the next week and probably for quite a while longer. So I've spent most of the day working on the 109. 

I've made substantial progress which I'm really happy with but the kit does go together quite quickly and surprisingly well. 

I wasn't happy with the static tail wheel so off it came ready to be 're positioned at a later date 

20190118-090523.jpg

Nice and simple so with the fuselage buttoned up it was time to turn to the wings. 

Again, the wings are nicely detailed but the flaps were moulded into the main wing. I want the flaps to have something other than a straight pose so set to work. 

20190118-091316.jpg

20190118-092832.jpg

20190118-092839.jpg

The plastic is really thin and brittle so cutting the flaps out was really easy. 

Last night I had removed the rudder so today I cut out the "pivot" and 're positioned it ready for the rudder going back on later in the build. 

20190118-095232.jpg

20190118-095510.jpg

I outsmarted the carpet monster as I dropped this bit and managed to snaffled it before the monster did! 

Whilst dealing with the rear end the tailplanes were fitted. I didn't realise the age of this kit. I expected the kit to be a  ew ish release, alas not. 

20190118-100454.jpg

This got sanded back and the tail planes fitted. 

Wings were fitted, sanded and put into place. The fit was beautiful no filler needed at the wing root and only a tiny bit at the rear of the fitment and a touch around the wing edges themselves. The fit is unbelievable. 

20190118-124923.jpg

20190118-161741.jpg

20190118-161756.jpg

20190118-163854.jpg

Used a bit if orange to test the seam lines and sprayed with undercoat. I put the orange on a bit too thick and that shows through the undercoat. I've sanded it back and it's now ready for another coat of primer and then we're on to paint. Ready. 

I've left the seam.line on the top and bottom of the fuselage slightly as understand that's how 109s were built. If this isn't right do please let me know. 

🐜

On 1/15/2019 at 7:42 PM, Antb said:

I'm going for this one. 

20190115-192509.jpg

If anyone has anything suggesting the top colours or camo pattern I'd be most grateful for pointers. Also, there won't be the serial number on it either. I'll use the excuse it was painted over. 

..it's thought to have been solid green 81, with main section of the lower wing unpainted....WN.r unknown

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, FalkeEins said:

..it's thought to have been solid green 81, with main section of the lower wing unpainted....WN.r unknown

That's great thank you very much 

On 15/01/2019 at 19:42, Antb said:

If anyone has anything suggesting the top colours or camo pattern I'd be most grateful for pointers. 

there are lots of camo scheme for the specific G-10 type,  but the Erla one isn't, this scheme was limited to a certain batch of Erla built G-10's

Hmm,  OK have a read here

The Erla cowling is different,  the Revell kit is actually a very good kit overall,  one of the first decent 1/48th 109 kits.

it represents a WNF built G-10, this is Flikr link

There are a couple of colour shots of a erla 109 in the dark uppers,  which were online, but are not now that I can find. and these show slight contrast, 

most B/W don't, this does, just

xrFlo6Z.png

and.... after much searching...

kopierschutz.gifNote, there appears to be a colour change running up from the cross through the yellow filler triangle

kopierschutz.gifkopierschutz.gifbf109_1441304512jux9qt.jpg

Colours?  Could be using up bomber paint, eg 70/71, but the darker tone looks slightly brown,  so I'd suggest 81/71 

HTH

• Thanks 1

Hi chaps, 

Managed to do quite a bit more work, so here's the progress. The update is quite picture heavy so apologies in advance. 

So, first up here she is with a coat of primer. 

20190119-100343.jpg

I use wilkos primer at 4 quid a tin. Its great stuff and goes on really smooth. 

Having left that to go hard I then sprayed the white in preparation for the tail band. This was from a rattle can, and when dried was masked off. 

20190119-125143.jpg

I don't have the correct shade of green and with the LMS 5 miles away I used what I had. First off I went for RLM70 but this was too brown. 

20190119-172310.jpg

So I switched to RLM71. 

20190119-185023.jpg

Much better. A few coats later and the paint hadn't dried as smooth as I would have hoped so had to sand it down and give it another lick of paint. 

The green probably isn't the right shade but I'm hoping to weather it and make it a bit different when I apply the oils. 

Before this I had sprayed the underside silver, again from a rattle can, and masked these areas off. 

20190120-114252.jpg

Now, the underside colour from my research states RLM76 but other sources say something different. Above I've painted a great with a touch of RLM65 added to get a shade close. I'm not happy with it so will be off to the shop for the 76 as soon as. 

An overall shot of the bird before cracking on with the tail band. 

20190120-134209.jpg

20190120-134214.jpg

I would dearly love to be able to spray the tail band but I have to improvise. After masking off I use a piece of sponge dabbed in the paint with the excess dabbed off. This is then applied in layers to build up a solid colour 

20190120-160133.jpg

And here we are. The lines needed straightening out and some bleed was removed with a cocktail stick. The great thing about the white is that is was am aerosol.primer and therefore dried rock hard so no chance of digging through with the cocktail stick used to get rid of the bleed. 

20190121-093505.jpg

20190121-093512.jpg

Gloss coat (actually wilko laquer aerosol) and left to dry ready for decals. 

20190121-121857.jpg

I've spent the day wrestling with the decals today. Nightmare to get on as they kept ripping. 

That's an update for another time, maybe this evening. 

Thanks for looking in. 

Cheers 

🐜

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Antb said:

I've spent the day wrestling with the decals today. Nightmare to get on as they kept ripping. 

Strange, Revell decals never broke on me, maybe you got a damaged decal sheet.

1 hour ago, Sturmovik said:

Strange, Revell decals never broke on me, maybe you got a damaged decal sheet.

They didn't want to come away from the backing paper and took some getting off. They split just after being dipped in water with no setting solutions applied. 

Could have been used error though rather than the decals 

45 minutes ago, Antb said:

They didn't want to come away from the backing paper and took some getting off. They split just after being dipped in water with no setting solutions applied. 

Could have been used error though rather than the decals 

You may already know the drill, put them in warm water for 10/15 seconds, place them over a napkin and wait until they slide on the backing paper. If they don't apply some more warm water and wait.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Sturmovik said:

You may already know the drill, put them in warm water for 10/15 seconds, place them over a napkin and wait until they slide on the backing paper. If they don't apply some more warm water and wait.

Yup. They just didn't want to move. Took ages and then split. 

Got there in the end though 

Thanks for the advice 

• Like 1