Fire Extinguishers: US Bomber Support Set

Graham Boak

These are mounted near the rear of the fuel tanker, in an alcove on each side.  Airfix gives no clue to painting them (that I've seen) but presumably they are not the olive drab that is otherwise a default?  What colour should they be -  I presume they would be the same on both sides.

That's a nice photo, with an interesting conversion for the bomb truck that comes in the kit.  However I'm referring to smaller hand-held extinguishers fitted into alcoves at the rear of the tanker.

The cylinders in the kit are 1cm tall with a flat bottom.  I make that  28 inches tall.  I'd have said there was no nozzle represented, but on closer inspection there is a rather 2D representation of a very thin one on the side, with apparently a single lever or handle opposing it at the top.  In overall appearance I would say it looks most like the red extinguisher on the 1944 Chevvy in the first link.  It does not have the proportions of the stubbier brass examples I've seen suggested since I asked this question.

In the UK, Red is the colour for water extinguishers.  I'd have thought that unsuitable for fuel fires.  However there is a comment that the US does not, or did not, have the same standard of coding and that it was common for various types of extinguisher to be red.  What the USAAF thought at the time of WW2 is perhaps an open question.