BAe Hawker Siddeley Hawk T.1 details

Smudge

Just doing a 1/72 Airfix Hawk. I have opened up the hole on top of the fuselage, which I believe is an intake for possibly an engine starter or APU

I am struggling to find a decent image of this intake and was wondering if there is some sort of mesh or grill cover over (or just inside) the hole. It seems odd to have an open intake, anything could drop into it.

If anyone could post a picture or a link to such I would be most grateful.  

Cheers.

Hello Smudge,

couple of photos for you. This is a Finnish Air Force Hawk.

d4641990-70fa-4da9-9e9a-ed44a655e76b.JPG

As you can see there is no grill or mesh; just a round hole with a lip that fits around the GTS exhaust.

a3f61310-e130-4f10-8642-d4de3d49d302.JPG

Another view showing the lip a bit better.

4d56cf01-7d8e-411e-868a-d2194698f2fa.JPG

The GTS. I examined the original photo scaled up to 400% and used a "heavy" exposure compensation to find out that there isn't a grill or a mesh visible in this picture. So if there is a guard of some sort it sits rather deep.

fbee2594-1a3f-4566-a207-07c6881e9b42.JPG

The Maintenance Manual calls the cockpit colour as Dark Sea Gray. I only have Humbrol enamels and the colour is closer to Hu 27 than Hu 5. To my eye Hu 27 is maybe a little bit too blueish. This is front cockpit, port side wall.

Cheers,

Antti

• Thanks 1

Thank you, tweeky. And thank you Antti_k very kind of you to post those pictures. I think I have to agree, I don't think that there is any grill or mesh cover, at least not visible from the outside of the aircraft. This will make it easier to model correctly.

Here is a picture of my efforts.

20190113_142640

Just a piece of plastic tube suitably shaped to fit inside the upper fuselage, and blanked off at the bottom. I hope that this will add a bit of detail interest.

Thanks for the cockpit picture. I did not go with the colours in the Airfix instructions, these were incorrect/misleading. I'm not going to do much in here, as the canopy will be shut. Here is my effort so far. The seats should help add interest.

20190113_143313

Your cockpit picture shows a slightly darker grey than some of the pictures I found on Google.

Thank you for your help :)

• Like 1

error (sorry)

20190116_125704

I posted this picture by mistake, I thought I was on my WIP page :blush:

But thanks for the positive comments  :)

Edited by Smudge
muppetry
  • Like 1

Hello Smudge,

you are welcome 🙂

Your Hawk looks nice so far. I think the tube solution is just perfect. Long time ago I built a 1/72 scale Hawk and decided to replace the wing fences with scratch built items; I used a thin saw and 0,25 mm plasticard. To my eye the final result didn't look so good I wanted it to look. I guess a piece of thin metal plate (from a soda can perhaps) would be just fine but then again the saw is the problem.

Cheers,

Antti

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Antti_K said:

I used a thin saw and 0,25 mm plasticard. To my eye the final result didn't look so good I wanted it to look. I guess a piece of thin metal plate (from a soda can perhaps) would be just fine but then again the saw is the problem.

I went with just trying to thin them down, as I didn't trust myself to replace them neatly. Maybe next time.

On 1/18/2019 at 10:51 AM, Antti_K said:

4d56cf01-7d8e-411e-868a-d2194698f2fa.JPG

Hiya

In the picture above you can see the barrel shape object (the Gas Turbine Starter (GTS)) lying horizontally in the centre rear of the bay; immediately behind that is the upward facing round opening which is the exhaust for the GTS.  Looking down the exhaust, it's simply an open exhaust duct with no grills that bends through the sharp 90 degree between the horizontal opening in the cowling down to the vertical rear face of the turbine.  You can see the turbine face when you look into the duct.  The hole is bunged when the aircraft is parked overnight.

FYI, behind that again you can make out the closed doors for the Ram Air Turbine.  So much fun trying to pull that sucker up ....... not.

I hope that's a good explanation.

Cheers

Gaz 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1