Spitfire RAF 303 Sqdn. Airfix 1:24

Spitfire RAF 303, Sqdn, Jan Zumbach
Model Airfix 1:24 model made straight from the box without additives.

I was wondering what to say about this model?
The words that come to my mind are not positive so I will not write anything about the model.

Kit: Airfix
Decals: Techmod

pybJdc4.jpg?18tfs5FT.jpg?17YDoayD.jpg?1nFgTsu8.jpg?1UrxTJJT.jpg?1JSWBjB8.jpg?15ExJS4G.jpg?1hqnSo3N.jpg?1cQxT1gj.jpg?1O0pNFWC.jpg?1Klw5MYy.jpg?1Khz5izS.jpg?1

• Like 42

4 minutes ago, Procopius said:

A great build, regardless of the kit quality. Not to be That Guy, though, but you have both ailerons deflected down -- if one is down, the other should be up. 

They are movable and unfortunately fall. but it can be improved.
Thanks Gentlemen.

An impressively artistic impression of Sqn Leader Jan Zumbach's EN951! She was one of three similarly marked Spitfires flown by Zumbach (an ace with 12 confirmed victories) while commanding 303 Sqn, May 1942 to November 1943.

A few notes in the margin…

EN951 was a Mk Vb, so it seems that a couple of 20mm cannon with associated bulges have gone AWOL from the wings. 😉 Also, the Spitfire, from Mk Vb and onward, was equipped from the factory with a VHF radio set that had a short antenna hidden inside the original aerial mast. In other words, no aerial wire. Finally, it would've had IFF antenna wires on either side of the fuselage, from roughly the centre of the fuselage roundels to the tips of the tailplanes.

Oh, and the position light behind the aerial mast is clear, not red.

That aside, a very nice build!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Of course I know, however, I didn't have any influence on it. The model is made to order, the model I received from the person ordering together with decals with expressive information that despite the incompatibility of the version is to be made and is to look impressively.
I hope that it worked

• Like 1

Spitfire31,

While you are correct about the cannons and the VHF antenna, Zumbach's late Donald seems not to have the IFF wires. You will realize that if you study the series of photos of that plane. E.g., in Matusiak, Wojtek, Zumbach’s Donalds (Model Detail Photo Monograph, 5; Warszawa: Rossagraph, 2004). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

An impressively artistic impression of Sqn Leader Jan Zumbach's EN951! She was one of three similarly marked Spitfires flown by Zumbach (an ace with 12 confirmed victories) while commanding 303 Sqn, May 1942 to November 1943.

A few notes in the margin…

EN951 was a Mk Vb, so it seems that a couple of 20mm cannon with associated bulges have gone AWOL from the wings. 😉 Also, the Spitfire, from Mk Vb and onward, was equipped from the factory with a VHF radio set that had a short antenna hidden inside the original aerial mast. In other words, no aerial wire. Finally, it would've had IFF antenna wires on either side of the fuselage, from roughly the centre of the fuselage roundels to the tips of the tailplanes.

Oh, and the position light behind the aerial mast is clear, not red.

That aside, a very nice build!

Kind regards,

Joachim

I hadn't known, hitherto, that those wires were for the IFF.  Never read anything that explained what they were for until now.  Good info.

• Like 1

Not withstanding that it is the wrong mark, which of course you are aware of, this is a fine study of a Spitfire with a terrific paint finish.  I remember being allowed to sit up late and watch my dad build this kit, circa 1972, so I've always had a soft spot for it.

Zumbach returned to 303 Sqn at the end of March 1942 as Flight Commander and took command of the squadron on 17th May. On 1 December 1942 he finished his tour and became Polish Liaison Officer to HQ 9 Fighter Group RAF.

All the squadrons's Mk Vs and first MK IXs had IFF "wires". The IFF Mk III, with a rod aerial under the wing,  began to be introduced in early 1943 and first appears on the Squadron's Mk IXs in late 1943.

• Like 1

Excellent job! I hope the recipient of this model really appreciates the work that has gone into it.

I for one love this kit - I built one when it first came out and would build another in a heartbeat. If I do, I hope I can make half as decent a job of it as you did.

7 hours ago, 303sqn said:

Zumbach returned to 303 Sqn at the end of March 1942 as Flight Commander and took command of the squadron on 17th May. On 1 December 1942 he finished his tour and became Polish Liaison Officer to HQ 9 Fighter Group RAF.

All the squadrons's Mk Vs and first MK IXs had IFF "wires". The IFF Mk III, with a rod aerial under the wing,  began to be introduced in early 1943 and first appears on the Squadron's Mk IXs in late 1943.

You're apparently correct about Zumbach leaving 303 Sqn in December of 1942 and not 1943, as I wrote, quoting information from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Zumbach.

The Polish version of Wikipedia (in Google's English translation) https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Zumbach states: "On May 17, 1942, he [Zumbach] was appointed commander of the 303 Squadron - he held this function until December 1942."

Since your alias seems to indicate that you have a special interest in 303sqn, perhaps you might consider editing the alleged misinformation in the English Wikipedia page?

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thank you all for the heated discussion. I hope I have not offended anyone by building this model in this way.
Today the model will fly to the home base, I hope that the person ordering will be satisfied with the result.

However, I decided that I would build this model on my shelf. This time  I will try to make it a fairly faithful copy of the original.

• Like 1