easyJet A320 - 200th delivery in 1/200

This is the 2012 edition of Hasegawa's 1/200 A320 which was released in the Japanese Peach Air carriers livery - I purchased Draw Decals 1/200 easyJet decals new release of the airline's 200th A320 delivery celebration colour scheme in an overall orange paint scheme.

With all the outstanding Japanese engineering, the kit went together without any issue and the digital silk decals were a delight to work with, The kit is almost complete so this is pretty much a complete A-Z run through of a WIP for you here, needing only a final coat of gloss clear coating tonight.

Starting life as a Peach short haul carrier with Draw's 2018 celebratory decal set:

DSCF8238

The kit contents:

DSCF8239

Work started 2 weeks ago

DSCF8240

DSCF8241

DSCF8243

DSCF8244

DSCF8256

I have never worked in orange before and like yellow, it turns out to be a very unforgiving colour. After some testing, I used a lower toned undercoat orange under the intended top colour coats

DSCF8264

DSCF8269

DSCF8270

A bit blurry, The top coat is Tamiya's X6 Orange which turned out to be spot on for squeezy jet

DSCF8272

DSCF8278

DSCF8279

With the wings lower grey shade on, this is the corroguard masking process

DSCF8280

and the tail plane leading edge masking

DSCF8281

masking out the flap runners

DSCF8282

DSCF8283

and then...

DSCF8284

Decal work starting

DSCF8285

A massive issue here. Draw's decal is 4 mm longer than the door recess (below). I had to trim this back and use one of the kits door decals to rectify this issue later on

DSCF8286

DSCF8287

and now with the starboard side front door decal sorted and corrected

DSCF8288

Its a nifty little kit and I am pleased with Draw's decals. Thanks for dropping in for a look. I will put some photos of the completed model up on the RFI pages soon

cheers - John

• Like 8

Great work John. They really do go together so well and so quickly too.

The issue with decals not fitting the kit also really annoys me - sometimes I wish the actual kit was measured and the decals sized to fit that. I've just used a set of decals from an aftermarket company I've never used before and the cheatline is much too long, the titles much too big and the doors totally refuse to match the kit doors. Great..

Inquiring minds want to know what the masking film is you've used?

Jeff

23 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Hi John,

What a super kit I wouldn't have believed it was 1/200.

Which silver did you use for the engine intakes?

Looking forward to seeing it in RFI.

Cheers,

Ian

Thanks Ian - the silver is Alcad II Polished Aluminium - on about 8psi as it is a very unforgiving paint if used too close or at too high a psi (or so I have found it to be)

John

22 hours ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

Great work John. They really do go together so well and so quickly too.

The issue with decals not fitting the kit also really annoys me - sometimes I wish the actual kit was measured and the decals sized to fit that. I've just used a set of decals from an aftermarket company I've never used before and the cheatline is much too long, the titles much too big and the doors totally refuse to match the kit doors. Great..

Inquiring minds want to know what the masking film is you've used?

Jeff

Hi Jeff - thanks for the input. Having build enough of these 1200's over the years, I should have known better as I usually use a micrometer to measure the width of doors, cargo holds and window spaces before I add a 3rd party decal but I was modelling with a real hanging hangover this weekend and I overlooked the cardinal rule of checking first. While still in the sanding and fill process (and before painting) of the 1/200 BA L1011 I am working on, I did check everything as I thought the door decals would be deeper than the recess lines on the kit but they actually matched up.

For masking, I generally use Tamiyas yellow masking tapes but they always seem to need a coat of clear to seal the straight lines down - a trick I only recently picked up from this forum. The foggy masking tape was bought online on ebay - I simply ran a search for A4 airbrush masking film and found 10 sheets for around £9.50 + free P&P - it works really well and is very low tack but also seems not need straight masked lines to be sealed in a clear coat first to avoid paint seepages - or I may have just been lucky so far but I am pretty sure its the quality of the masking film.

• Like 1